Fuelling for evening 10TT events

2»

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It's less than 30 mins effort, you don't need fuelling past lunch!

Ah - yes, but when I finish my lunch by 10am I kinda need something before a 1930 start .... ;)

You might want it, but you don't need it. You'll burn at most 400 calories in a 10 mile TT including warm up.

Edit: or eat your lunch at lunch time.

That is very dependant on many things, I can tell you that a warm up I would typically do and then a 10 would be considerably more than that probably 3 times as much as that in fact! So I always have a gel during the late part of a warm up.

But for a midweek event, I would just eat usually and perhaps grab a couple of bananas or flapjack and eat a bit of that an hour or so before? Not life or death stuff, but worth eating something just to make sure you feel ok I reckon

You probably put out about 3 times as many watts as most of us though Rob ;)

To be honest I always have a gel 15 mins before the start of any event after a warm up. I was more making the point that it's not going to make or break a ride but I said it in rather unhelpful terms.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Yeh I agree, normal food is gunna be fine for most, but obviously don't only have a salad for lunch or anything silly, and yep, for the sake of £1 necking a gel beforehand will ensure you've got all you need - barely any kcal penalty of doing so either given they're only about 100kcal!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    Yeh I agree, normal food is gunna be fine for most, but obviously don't only have a salad for lunch or anything silly, and yep, for the sake of £1 necking a gel beforehand will ensure you've got all you need - barely any kcal penalty of doing so either given they're only about 100kcal!

I agree - I think a gel is worth it, even for a possible placebo effect and/or removing the option of blaming a lack of fuelling for not putting in a competitive time.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd have a normal lunch and maybe a bowl of cereal when I got back from work a couple of hours before the TT, if it was closer then maybe a banana or something. I would avoid a gel 15 minutes before the off as I understood that could cause a sugar spike and then a dip which might coincide with the start of the effort - that's purely from a theoretical rather than personal experience perspective.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Has he done an evening 10 yet, this is getting boring !