Aero road bikes...part deux (part one was in 198x)

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I'm not sure which is worse, the op or the replies!!

I despair for the human race
    Oh gosh, really? Now I feel so ashamed to be involved....do you?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It can't be Dennisn...

Do you not think? There was SOMETHING in the way that Record11Ti was POSTING that made me think it might be HIM.

Not convinced; just had a read of some of Dennisn's posts and his spelling and grammar are both much better than Record11Ti's.

If it is Dennisn, it's either a very clever attempt or he's actually schizophrenic
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,647
    It can't be Dennisn...

Do you not think? There was SOMETHING in the way that Record11Ti was POSTING that made me think it might be HIM.

Not convinced; just had a read of some of Dennisn's posts and his spelling and grammar are both much better than Record11Ti's.

If it is Dennisn, it's either a very clever attempt or he's actually schizophrenic
    Didn't Dennisn sign off all of his posts "Dennisn"?
    Regards,
    First Aspect
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    I cannot understand why Record11ti gets annoyed about an overweight person on an expensive bike or any bike for that matter. It is THEIR money they have spent not his. In fact it is really none of his business.
  • Record11Ti
    Record11Ti Posts: 74
    I cannot understand why Record11ti gets annoyed about an overweight person on an expensive bike or any bike for that matter. It is THEIR money they have spent not his. In fact it is really none of his business.

Ahhh - so we hit the truth.

Now, lets get to some facts. Not many people (even Pro's Tri folks) fit on a P3/4/5. Not in the way the bike was intended (and I mean to keep the rake and trail of the steering in a SAFE position).

Say Richard Branson were to walk into a shop and say - "Well sir, I would like to start riding a bicycle, and I would like to ride in an event that is seven days long and 100km per day".

Knowing that this is Richard Branson - do we instantly go to Super Record EPS or DuraAce Di? I mean, this is a man with MONEY. So, lets presume he is Graham Obree and can squeeze into the position? Lets presume that he has the handling skills of Merckz?

Or...do you say..."Well, Mr. Branson. I think that this mid range (insert name here) bike will be perfect for you. It is tried and true and prove day after day for cyclists with your abilities".

Did he walk in and say "sell me the most expensive bike you have!!!"? Or, did he say..."Price is no option, I need a fast bike"....or, was it - "Well sir, I would like to start riding a bicycle, and I would like to ride in an event that is seven days long and 100km per day". Sure would seem to me that in each instance one would get a different bike.

"Most expensive"? Get me a Penny Farthing made of Platinum, Diamond crusted and weeping with the tears of baby seals. That is not the point.

Now...the admonition. A friend of mine, who has the means, who has the money and who has no reason not to spent money on a bike that he CAN NOT FIT. The bike shop (in the US) saw him coming. Heck, they could look at his watch and see that. They sold him a limited edition super light weight electronic shifting bike with carbon tubulars and on and on...he cant ride more than five miles with out complaining that something hurts.

After working for a LONG time in the US for a bike place or two - I thought that it was just wrong. Seems the common consensus world wide is "Buyer Beware". He will be taking the bike to RAGBRAI in a few weeks...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272

After working for a LONG time in the US for a bike place or two - I thought that it was just wrong. Seems the common consensus world wide is "Buyer Beware". He will be taking the bike to RAGBRAI in a few weeks...

I get your point, although maybe is a bit extreme and probably just rambling about with nowhere to go...
    However, my advice is to change your name from Record11Ti to Veloce9... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Record11Ti

I get your point, although maybe is a bit extreme and probably just rambling about with nowhere to go...
    However, my advice is to change your name from Record11Ti to Veloce9... :wink:

Thank you. I know I came off as a prick with the OP...I was soooo upset. I tried to guide him...and even gave him a spending limit. However, he spent almost $20k (after tax and "pro fit").

So, he will be the fattest (and not that fat) guy on a stupid spendy bike at RAGBRAI...trust me, he will be laughed at.

Some on this forum seem to presume they will not have an alter thought of "WTF"...the reality is...when a cyclist of knowledge and ability see's a man who is 30lbs over weight, on a carbon bike with the best of the best...we wonder. We dont thing "good for the LBS, glad they are eating"

At the end of the day, I really wish the LBS would have done the right thing. Sold the RIGHT bicycle. And they would have been doing a much better service to their wealthy customer.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Ahhh - so we hit the truth.

Now, lets get to some facts. Not many people (even Pro's Tri folks) fit on a P3/4/5. Not in the way the bike was intended (and I mean to keep the rake and trail of the steering in a SAFE position).

Say Richard Branson were to walk into a shop and say - "Well sir, I would like to start riding a bicycle, and I would like to ride in an event that is seven days long and 100km per day".

Knowing that this is Richard Branson - do we instantly go to Super Record EPS or DuraAce Di? I mean, this is a man with MONEY. So, lets presume he is Graham Obree and can squeeze into the position? Lets presume that he has the handling skills of Merckz?

Or...do you say..."Well, Mr. Branson. I think that this mid range (insert name here) bike will be perfect for you. It is tried and true and prove day after day for cyclists with your abilities".

Did he walk in and say "sell me the most expensive bike you have!!!"? Or, did he say..."Price is no option, I need a fast bike"....or, was it - "Well sir, I would like to start riding a bicycle, and I would like to ride in an event that is seven days long and 100km per day". Sure would seem to me that in each instance one would get a different bike.

"Most expensive"? Get me a Penny Farthing made of Platinum, Diamond crusted and weeping with the tears of baby seals. That is not the point.

Now...the admonition. A friend of mine, who has the means, who has the money and who has no reason not to spent money on a bike that he CAN NOT FIT. The bike shop (in the US) saw him coming. Heck, they could look at his watch and see that. They sold him a limited edition super light weight electronic shifting bike with carbon tubulars and on and on...he cant ride more than five miles with out complaining that something hurts.

That kind of thing doesn't happen too much and if it does then who cares, people that loaded can just buy another bike.

I don't get why you're lumping the P3,4 and 5 together either, firstly the P5 is shorter and taller to hit hit that tri market more and it annoyed a lot of TT-ers that they'd changed the geom like this. Secondly, just how many people are going into bike shops with no experience of cycling but want to get into it and come out on a top flight TT bike? None I would say.

Anyway, it's not worth typing as you're just being stupid in this last post, it doesn't seem to have much point to it at all. You're better off sticking to the topic of your fat people on nice bikes prejudice really.
  • Record11Ti
    edited June 2015
    "That kind of thing doesn't happen too much and if it does then who cares, people that loaded can just buy another bike."

Perfect example of my point. The fact is, people that rich can make or break a sport. Maybe become a sponsor of even a small event. It only takes one bad sale to make that same person think "cycling sucks".

I suppose in your example it is okay to sell the wrong running shoe to a rich guy (as in even wrong size)...he has the money right? Screw em! He can buy another set. (some honor in that).

Are you familiar with RAGBRAI? Google it
  • mfin
    the reality is...when a cyclist of knowledge and ability see's a man who is 30lbs over weight, on a carbon bike with the best of the best...we wonder. We dont thing "good for the LBS, glad they are eating"

Of course the bike shop thoughts don't appear, and yes people notice fatties on incredibly expensive gear.

I think you making the assumption that all these people 'have been had by their bike shop' is complete rubbish, this very rarely happens. When someone shops they have a right to buy what they want, overweight people can buy what they want just the same as you or I do, that's why you see these people on this kind of kit.
  • Record11Ti
    I digress.

A friend of mine was sold a very high end Cervelo with every "dream" known to man. Carbon wheels, Dugast tires.

I was VERY upset and logged on and there was the S bike. My thought was, had they only waited a few weeks. The trouble is that RAGBRAI was too soon. So, my friend is going to go to RAGBRAI on a bike he really cant ride. It is terribly uncomfortable for him but - IT IS COOL. He will with out doubt have the highest bike photo count (with his SRM he has no idea what means).

His bike could make any magazine - and, the shop I am certain is laughing their way to the bank.

If thinking selling the wrong things for the wrong reasons makes me a jerk..so be it. I am just a washed up former Pro cyclist who turned consultant and Ironman guy...

I like to vouch for the little guy - not screw the big guy.
  • Record11Ti
    "Be VERY careful on here, you could be taking guidance (or even worse 'buying advice') from someone who drives a Vauxhal"

Touché
  • mfin
    Perfect example of my point. The fact is, people that rich can make or break a sport. Maybe become a sponsor of even a small event. It only takes one bad sale to make that same person think "cycling sucks".

I suppose in your example it is okay to sell the wrong running shoe to a rich guy (as in even wrong size)...he has the money right? Screw em! He can buy another set. (some honor in that).

It's difficult to tell where you are coming from, so it seems you basically have an issue with consumer rights for rich people? (Why not let them worry about it) AND you don't like seeing overweight people on nice kit (why worry about it, just have a smile).

So there you go, nothing to argue about, that's you sorted.

I expect your next thread will be completely normal and not so daft (I lie).
  • mfin
    "Be VERY careful on here, you could be taking guidance (or even worse 'buying advice') from someone who drives a Vauxhal"

Touché

:) that one was good, I've just changed it for a new one in tribute.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    I am just a washed up former Pro cyclist who turned consultant and Ironman guy...

Are you sure you're not just a bell end?
  • Record11Ti
    I am just a washed up former Pro cyclist who turned consultant and Ironman guy...

Depends - are you a pathetic "surrender monkey" from France? I do after all have ZERO respect for the French. Then again, I got sick of hearing about them in History class. Even more sick the last time I had a lay over.
  • First.Aspect
    So, your rich buddy had advice from an ex-pro and didn't take it. Now he has an expensive ornament. Surely some part of you must think he's the one who has been a bit foolish?

Who knows what the bike shop said, or what he said to them. But you are probably being a bit hard on them. It is more likely that I'd be spitting with rage if they'd sold him a hybrid. At least a Cervelo is aspirational.
  • First.Aspect

Depends - are you a pathetic "surrender monkey" from France? I do after all have ZERO respect for the French. Then again, I got sick of hearing about them in History class. Even more sick the last time I had a lay over.
    At least I see the problem in your thinking - bloke blows $20k on bike when he's not cycled before. Conclusion: bike shop's fault.

History lessons are boring. Conclusion: hate the French.

Please, come up with some more of these. They are awesome.
  • mfin

So, you're small minded, ignorant and xenophobic and you see all french people are the same and you have zero respect for all of them??!! Plus, you base some of this on school day experiences when your adolescent brain jumped onto or created a daft soundbite with regards to their part in the second world war, a war which happened some 70 odd years ago. Do you realise just how daft this makes you sound?!

You're coming across as thick and ignorant in equal measure.

Anyway, get back to the bike topic please about your equally daft mate. (and mods please don't lock this, it's actually entertaining, move it to another section if needs be).
  • Record11Ti

It's difficult to tell where you are coming from, so it seems you basically have an issue with consumer rights for rich people? (Why not let them worry about it) AND you don't like seeing overweight people on nice kit (why worry about it, just have a smile).

So there you go, nothing to argue about, that's you sorted.

I expect your next thread will be completely normal and not so daft (I lie).

Ignorant? Well, those of the US think that is most of the European west for not keeping you in the last war....

(note) that is purely conjecture and I hope in good fun. Then again, "good fun" is not something that is found in the chat rooms of the toothless (presuming most are from Brittan).

Either way - rubbish side down and dont eat the pigeons mate :D
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Are you married to your sister?
  • mfin
    Just to get it back to bikes... did your mate actually buy a Cervelo P3/4/5 to do this bike ride on, I assume you are just using it as some disconnected example to try to prove your point really badly? (IF he did buy one of them to do that ride on, not that I'm expecting you to say he did for one minute, then it's not the bike shop's fault at all, it would be his fault for being a f*****g idiot and you should pop round and knock on his face and tell him).
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I bought a bike from wiggle, they never even met me, didn't check my waist size, lung capacity, maximum heart rate or anything before taking my money and sending the bike out.

To sum up.... I blame wiggle
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    The bit I don't get is the fact that he's an ex pro and been in the industry for years yet his mate ignores his advice and spends £20k based on lbs advice.
    I ride with some very good amateur riders and would much prefer to listen to their advice rather than a salesman or a kid in the local shop.
  • keef66
    Are you married to your sister?

Married?? Pffft! As if...
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    OK, I take it back. This isn't Dennisn. He didn't mention his hatred of the French in every thread he posted on. Sorry Dennis...
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,030
    Last night at the end of a gentle ride with MrsHD we called at the pub, her choice of drink was a large Sauvignon Blanc and I had my choice of beers.

Now I don't consider myself a connoisseur but chose the most expensive on offer, a pint of Birra Moretti. Should I be ashamed of the label on my glass when a cold pint of (cheaper) Carling would have been the bar tenders offer to a hot and thirsty cyclist?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keef66
    Some bike shops are run by people who try their level best to part you from as much money as possible without taking into account your needs. One LBS tried to sell me a lovely powder blue bike while failing to mention it was a womens' specific model :roll: I politely declined, never went back there and I notice they've gone out of business...

Buyer beware is as good a piece of advice as it's ever been. Anything I buy I like to know as much about it as the salesman so I can tell the moment they start bullshitting. The internet makes researching potential purchases ludicrously easy, so there's really no excuse for being sold something inappropriate.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Some bike shops are run by people who try their level best to part you from as much money as possible without taking into account your needs. One LBS tried to sell me a lovely powder blue bike while failing to mention it was a womens' specific model :roll: I politely declined, never went back there and I notice they've gone out of business...

Buyer beware is as good a piece of advice as it's ever been. Anything I buy I like to know as much about it as the salesman so I can tell the moment they start bullshitting. The internet makes researching potential purchases ludicrously easy, so there's really no excuse for being sold something inappropriate.
    Agreed.
    It's rather naive to assume a salesman has your best interests as his top priorities. There are those who are very conscientious and are careful to make sure their customers know exactly what they're buying, what it's for, the pros and cons, whether there's something just as good available for less, etc....but it's relatively rare. Plenty people will ignore good advice anyway when they do get it. If it's not clear that the advice is good then it's forgivable.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,030
    There is a difference in a bike shop owner and someone who is paid a comission on sales.
    Advocate of disc brakes.