Team Sky kit wearing mountain bikers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's what the pockets in the pack and baggies are for!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Veronese68 wrote:
    ... I'm a bit too curvaceous for lycra.
    So you're just jealous?

No. Even if I was super slim (I'm not exactly a lard ars*) I would still be wearing baggies.
    I was taking the p!ss as you probably realised. I'm tall and reasonably thin but only wear lycra if I'm going for a long road ride as it's more comfortable and once on the bike doesn't look quite as ridiculous. Doesn't happen very often though.
    But I do fall into the people can wear what they like camp. If it's a particularly disturbing look I just pass them quicker.
  • Mattharrier
    Mattharrier Posts: 173
    I currently wear a pair of basketball shorts (mainly to protect my modesty but also so I have some pockets should I need them) and either a running top or the cheapo MTB top I recently bought. I've just bought some Dakine shorts, because my basketball shorts aren't hard wearing enough to last for long on the trails. If it's cold, I have a softshell jacket, and I occasionally wore running tights under my shorts in the winter.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Rookie wrote:

But it's so much nicer riding without a pack. And things in shorts pockets never sit right!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    njee20 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

But it's so much nicer riding without a pack. And things in shorts pockets never sit right!

I don't like pockets in jerseys but I do like riding without a pack. I tie a tube under my saddle, a CO2 inflator and a tiny multi tool in my short pocket. Or if I'm riding somewhere with lots of trails in a small area the I just stash my pack behind a bush.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    things in shorts pockets never sit right!
    I prefer shorts with small tight pockets, not had a problem carrying anything from gel's to a pair of glasses or the mobile.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Primarily a road rider but I do race S4/club level XC and the odd enduro. Lycra at all times, just don't like baggy clothing on bikes.

Team Kit is another argument, I wouldn't make a point of buying it.
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Quite happily carry a mobile, keys and multi tools in baggies pockets. Also more than happy using my camelbak and have that loaded up with emergency tube, mini pump and other essentials too. Personally I get so into my riding that I don't even notice these things on me.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • njee20
    Tube and CO2 pump on seatpost, multi tool, pump and phone/keys/cash/card in jersey pockets. Not used a Camelbak in years, much prefer it. Maybe I'm just not as 'into my riding' as you :lol:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I tend to keep all weight away from my bike as possible.

A pack with water and supplies strapped to me seems to me effects my riding less. IE big lump of weight on a 11kg bike seems is more noticeable than a big lump of weight strapped to my fat self..

And as for the earlier thing in DH with image, I Think as an emerging sport trying to gather support image is very important, even if you don't like the idea of image being important. MTBing is trying to make itself marketable to the cool kids! and it seems to be working.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    my pack is also back protector wouldnt not wear it. lycra doesnt go over pads
  • njee20
    I get around that by wearing neither pads nor a back protector ;-)
  • poah
    njee20 wrote:
    you can't be trying hard enough or cycing on smooth surfaces :p
  • Thewaylander
    seen to many people carried off trails with mashed up knees to not wear pads no matter how hard the trail im riding is now.
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:
    njee20 wrote:
    you can't be trying hard enough or cycing on smooth surfaces :p

Some people know their abilities well enough to comfortably ride up to 95% of their limit and know they are very unlikely to crash. Most fast XC racers can get down a hill at a pretty rapid pace (not far off enduro racer speed) and XC tracks are getting more gnarly yet you will never see a seriously competitive xc racers wearing any pads. You will also rarely see them leave a race in an ambulance.
    I only wear any pads if I'm riding my DH bike but then I'm constantly pushing my limits. Any other time I don't feel the need for them.
    I'm also riding with a pack a lot less. I mainly use it if I need extra water capacity for a long distance ride.
  • poah
    Some people know their abilities well enough to comfortably ride up to 95% of their limit and know they are very unlikely to crash. Most fast XC racers can get down a hill at a pretty rapid pace (not far off enduro racer speed) and XC tracks are getting more gnarly yet you will never see a seriously competitive xc racers wearing any pads.

thats cause they don't go under lycra and XC courses arn't mostly trails that will cause you to fall off
    You will also rarely see them leave a race in an ambulance.

and? I've only went to hospital once in 20 years of MTBing but I have plenty of skin damage from falls that would have been prevented by pads

I only wear any pads if I'm riding my DH bike but then I'm constantly pushing my limits. Any other time I don't feel the need for them.
    I'm also riding with a pack a lot less. I mainly use it if I need extra water capacity for a long distance ride.

but you're a cycling god :wink:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Xc race tracks are getting some surprisingly gnarly descents, especially at national level. There's nothing stopping racers wearing pads with their lycra shorts.
    I'm comfortable enough without pads to push to a reasonable pace without worrying about crashing. It does occasionally go all wrong but I would rather suffer the odd broken bone than have the discomfort of wearing pads for every ride. I used to wear knee pads all the time but decided I would rather just risk it.
    No one I ride with routinely wears pads or full face helmets unless they are out for a DH session .
    It's not about how good a rider you are, it's about knowing how hard you can ride without crashing , knowing where to hold back and knowing where you can take a big crash with less risk of injury .
  • njee20
    I'm comfortable enough without pads to push to a reasonable pace without worrying about crashing. It does occasionally go all wrong but I would rather suffer the odd broken bone than have the discomfort of wearing pads for every ride.

Nail/head!

I've bashed my knees various times, including one massive cut which subsequently got very infected and kept me off the bike for a couple of months. Would undoubtedly have been entirely avoided by pads.

I'll take the risk though. Average ride is 30-40 miles, CBA doing that in pads.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    POAH wrote:
    thats cause they don't go under lycra and XC courses arn't mostly trails that will cause you to fall off
    I :

You try caning it down a rooty off-camber descent when you got black spots floating in your eyes from red-lining it up the hill before deciding if it's easy!

I'm pretty sure you are baiting, but if not your a heinous victim of pinkbike brainwashing!

Actually it fcuking winds me up this anti-xc bvllshit, that there's something wrong with wanting to be as fit as you possibly can and steam up hills as well as down. It all comes from being part of this neutered generation where taking part is what counts. I'm sorry but this is a sport, trying to beat people is important!

N.b I have strained my leg for the second time in three weeks, so can't ride properly and am in a vile and mildly inebriated mood!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Theres no point blasting up a hill if you then have to go down at walking speed because you can't ride. I like to think I'm reasonably quick down a hill, I managed a few decent DH and enduro results but I also enjoy the odd long distance XC event and some of the fast lads are seriously quick down a rocky hill. I wasn't expecting that first time I dropped in to a decent behind a lad on a carbon 29er wearing lycra covered in sponsors logos. I kept up OK but had a much easier ride on my nice, slack and low trail Bike.
    A mate of mine races xc regularly and has commented that trails are getting more tech and it's not unusual at national races to see less talented rides walking down sections.
    Xc racing certainly isn't mountain biking for roadies.
  • BloggingFit
    njee20 wrote:
    Tube and CO2 pump on seatpost, multi tool, pump and phone/keys/cash/card in jersey pockets. Not used a Camelbak in years, much prefer it. Maybe I'm just not as 'into my riding' as you :lol:
    Maybe being a bit lightweight you notice 2kg on your back more :wink:

Like you I can't be doing with pads either and happily deal with the scrapes instead.
  • Ferrals
    A mate of mine races xc regularly and has commented that trails are getting more tech and it's not unusual at national races to see less talented rides walking down sections.
    Xc racing certainly isn't mountain biking for roadies.

Yes, this happens at regional races too, is frustrating especially if you get caught behind them as they make no effort to get out the way. Quite often organisers will give time penalties for walking down a-lines.
    I'm not the most technically proficient rider by a long stretch, tech climbs I'm good/ok at but descents I'm still lacking confidence in after crashing badly last year.
  • BloggingFit
    Ferrals wrote:
    I'm not the most technically proficient rider by a long stretch, tech climbs I'm good/ok at but descents I'm still lacking confidence in after crashing badly last year.
    With bad crashes you need to step back and take a practical approach to the cause and potential fix with the end game to put that into practice ASAP. I crashed badly off a big tabletop in my late teens when racing which dented my confidence when jumping and rather than deal with it psychologically I pushed it to back of my mind. I didn't have the maturity at the time to think about it practically and didn't really jump big after that. It's something that I still get effected by at times as I took a break from riding soon after and didn't deal with the cause which was pretty simple - I was being a dick by clearing the jump and landing flat so all I needed to do was to go back out and calm down my approach speed for that jump.
  • Ferrals
    I know exactly why it happened, I was being a tw@t trying to beat my strava time down a hill with lots of drops while wearing a loose fitting rucksack full of heavy library books.

I've just started riding the trail (slowly) again a few weeks ago, but I now have a real mental block for vertical drops. At some point I will get a days coaching to give me confidence my technique is correct.

Fully off topic now :lol:
  • rockmonkeysc
    For me the way to deal with serious crashes is get straight back out as soon as I'm healed and start building the speed back up while trying to lose any bad habits and start thinking about techniques again.
    Although last time I crashed big and separated my shoulder I had just clipped a stump on the finish of a DH race, it was just unfortunate so I just concentrated on getting back up to speed and fitness .
  • Clockworkmark31
    Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
    Well my new jersey of choice is this http://www.kickbacksports.co.uk/adidas- ... ens-623055 may not be a MTB fit but seen it in sports direct and thought bang on. Got in the blue and yellow not realizing I just bought these http://www.sportsdirect.com/adidas-dail ... e=24639618 in the same color 2 days before. Now I am going to look like I match all my kit like a real closet pimp haha.

But they are so breathable especially the shoes.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Mountain bikers should never wear lycra. Oh, hang on, I've changed my mind....

6ea275632bbf8f1c8a67f81060eaeaa4.jpg

Seriously though, we all used to ride in lycra, I remember when baggy shorts first came on the scene and they seemed a bit weird. Nowadays almost everyone wears them, fashions change. If you are concerned with all out speed then lycra is definitely the way to go. I can feel the difference when wearing a flappy rain jacket on the road bike over a tight fitting jersey for example. Contrary to earlier comments aero gains are tangiable from 15mph upwards not only at 40+

If someone wants to ride mtb in full sky kit then good luck to them, rather that than sit on the sofa at home....
  • Thewaylander
    Emily Batty is an exception to the cause on lycra...

Though she would look pretty rocking in almost anything... tough lass aswell riding with a broken collar bone at the Olympics.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Emily Batty is an exception to the cause on lycra...

Though she would look pretty rocking in almost anything and nothing... tough lass aswell riding with a broken collar bone at the Olympics.

FTFY
  • poah
    ravey1981 wrote:
    Mountain bikers should never wear lycra. Oh, hang on, I've changed my mind....

totally agree, they shouldn't wear lycra

1002995_10153013994760273_1846617197_n.jpg