Giro d'Italia 2015 Stage 21 ***Spoiler/Wind Down***

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    That's the most handsome photo of Aru I've ever seen. Extraordinary access. Did you have a triple-A dangling from your lanyard?

(Thanks for the caravan sketch)
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    smithy21 wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    I much prefer Kirby to Hatch.
    I find this much more disturbing than your hardcore doping views.
    +1

Explain a lot in fairness.

Oof.

I reckon you could take Kirby commentary from a completely different race and play it over the top of something else and it would seem like all other Kirby work. Making no sense, not talking about what's happening and just randomly making up crap.

I'm sure he's a lovely guy but he shouldn't be allowed to call races. He was ok when they used to cross back to him in the race for some witterings but he will actually make me not bother watching.

Hatch is the daddy though. I think the world is crying out for a reality programme of him and Friebe's life in their flat. "South Hampstead Cunning Linguists" or similar.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Macaloon wrote:
    That's the most handsome photo of Aru I've ever seen. Extraordinary access. Did you have a triple-A dangling from your lanyard?

Maybe Rich used the Timoid ploy - When the Tour started in Londres Timoid deployed his lovely g/f (now Mrs Timoid) to get Il Falco to come over for a chat. When I say chat, I'm led to believe it was just Timoid repeating that he'd won the Giro twice and Paulo just smiling.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Maybe Rich used the Timoid ploy - When the Tour started in Londres Timoid deployed his lovely g/f (now Mrs Timoid) to get Il Falco to come over for a chat. When I say chat, I'm led to believe it was just Timoid repeating that he'd won the Giro twice and Paulo just smiling.
    Unfortunately not. Coming up - a picture where I'm worried that Amador thinks that it's my missus he's posing with.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    Latin Americans

I'm not sure Uran is the best model for his own T-shirts

[img]Http://imgur.com/JpdVCUg.jpg[/img]

The pride of Costa Rica meets the shame of Costa Rica

[img]Http://imgur.com/67j8DX3.jpg[/img]
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

They've finally found someone who gets it.

Thought he did a good job on Eurosport. Not once did I wince at the telly or get irritated.

Was informative, got some better stuff out of Kelly. Was interesting, and kept a good eye on the racing. Did well spotting rider too, usually (as well as you would hope).

Still has a tendency to say how amazing it is, but I'll give him it because it sounds genuine and it's usually context appropriate.
    Two's up on that but my minor fault is Huugely-Huugely.
    I used to watch the Giro (and others) on German Satellite and much to my wife's annoyance as she said "you can't speak german" but it didn't matter as they named the riders as they came into view.
    Rob Hatch or Graham Jones (Sean Kelly) are the only English speakers that can do the same.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    Now for a couple of sprinters

Nizzolo and his red jersey
    [img]Http://imgur.com/4rDsjG1.jpg[/img]

Ten years ago it would have been Petacchi
    [img]Http://imgur.com/JSOfkJ9.jpg[/img]
  • RichN95.
    A couple of random ones

Paolini's beard is far more ginger in real life
    [img]Http://imgur.com/7sz4eXY.jpg[/img]

Pelizotti resorted to laying on a buffet for a bit of attention - with no success

[img]Http://imgur.com/ZzEyiHG.jpg[/img]
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    RichN95 wrote:
    A couple of random ones

Pelizotti resorted to laying on a buffet for a bit of attention - with no success

[img]Http://imgur.com/ZzEyiHG.jpg[/img]

Full marks for the make shift table though.

The food looks like he's gone round the other riders and asked for left overs from their musettes.
  • RichN95.
    And a couple of retired riders

The BMC bus was between Tinkoff and Sky and unloved until this fella turned up. He had a lot of time for everyone.

[img]Http://imgur.com/aV4nURu.jpg[/img]

Chiappucci was also there

[img]Http://imgur.com/28W3u0R.jpg[/img]
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichN95 wrote:
    The pride of Costa Rica meets the shame of Costa Rica

[img]Http://imgur.com/67j8DX3.jpg[/img]
    Looks like he can still shed a few kilos. Gonna be a proper big GC rider. And up there in the cobbled classics. Plus, from a very non-standard cycling country. I'm a fan.
    Good photos.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thanks Rich, some great snapshots there. Cataldo looks nothing like he does on a bike with glasses and helmet, ditto a few other riders.

Nice win for Keisse today and congratulations again to Contador.

Photos:
    http://www.steephill.tv/2015/giro-d-ita ... /stage-21/

Got to be the best looking trophy in any event.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    Other things to report.

The skinniest man in cycling is Kurt Asle Aversen. The worst bus is Vini Fantini, but they seemed to be getting the drunkest afterwards. The worst bus driver is CCC. Chiapucci looks like he sleeps on a sunbed. You can buy a podium bottle of Prosecco for ten euros (I would have done if could take it in hand luggage). Birra Morretti Radler (shandy) is horrible.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Macaloon wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I don't have any hardcore doping views, just a dose of reality in a world where testing is very limited in its efficacy.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

I don't have any hardcore doping views, just a dose of reality in a world where testing is very limited in its efficacy.

Contador showed just how unrepentant he is today. Add Valverde, Rebellin and scores of people just talking to Ferrari about training, throw in Astana, Katusha et al with DSs with all the contacts you could ever need, add in Michele and others with their huge knowledge of dosage, glow times, science etc, add in ridiculous performances from the Zakarins and Alaphilippes recently. I could go on.

When you consider that the passport is clearly not particularly sensitive and the best it can do is to flag those overdoing it, micro dosing that is undetectable by the morning and then add that to the vast knowledge of the above, to me there is absolutely no doubt that doping is very prevalent in the peloton and it wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of the stars were using PEDs.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Macaloon wrote:
    Did you have a triple-A dangling from your lanyard?

Is that the first HMHB reference of the Giro?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Nice pics, Rich.

I can't believe anyone prefers Kirby to Hatch. Rob Hatch can actually form sentences which make sense, can identify riders and understands what is going on during a cycle race. I'm sure Kirby is a decent bloke and passionate about cycling but he shouldn't be commentating on it.

A Grand Tour of Rob Hatch, with Sean Kelly alternating with Brian Smith would be perfect for me.
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_np8xvamOPY1ruscp7o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_np8xvamOPY1ruscp7o9_1280.jpg

tumblr_np8xvamOPY1ruscp7o8_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Thanks Rich for the photos and all for the discussion during the 3 weeks - great Tour in prospect and after today even the weather is looking up.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Macaloon
    edited June 2015
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Contador showed just how unrepentant he is today. Add Valverde, Rebellin and scores of people just talking to Ferrari about training, throw in Astana, Katusha et al with DSs with all the contacts you could ever need, add in Michele and others with their huge knowledge of dosage, glow times, science etc, add in ridiculous performances from the Zakarins and Alaphilippes recently. I could go on.

When you consider that the passport is clearly not particularly sensitive and the best it can do is to flag those overdoing it, micro dosing that is undetectable by the morning and then add that to the vast knowledge of the above, to me there is absolutely no doubt that doping is very prevalent in the peloton and it wouldn't surprise me if the vast majority of the stars were using PEDs.

You're making my point. I don't agree that the performances have been particularly ridiculous. But it's possible that the current testing regime is merely cosmetic - to appease sponsors - and the sport is possibly dominated by pathological liars.

But you can't defend Kirby.
  • Macaloon
    The_Boy wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    Did you have a triple-A dangling from your lanyard?

Is that the first HMHB reference of the Giro?

King of hi-vis. And my sig... Was desperate for an "Equus, on the buses" moment.
  • joelsim
    Macaloon wrote:

But you can't defend Kirby.

LOL. He does seem to have a lot of haters, and he doesn get names wrong. I just find his enthusiasm infectious and I like his sense of humour.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810

Nice to see you finally accepting who won in 2011 FF ;)
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991

Nice to see you finally accepting who won in 2011 FF ;)

:lol:
  • joelsim
    L'equipe think Contador has something to hide today. And rightly so. But no more than Astana IMO.
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    Most boring Giro ever.

The event was killed the minute Porte was handed a Giro killing time penalty, because 'it's the rules'.

It's also the 'rules' to disqualify any rider who removes their helmet during a ride, just like Contador did.

2015 Giro. Corrupt, fixed and a total borefest. I won't be watching future versions based on this years shoddy display.
  • Macaloon
    Inner Ring with some Landa perspective:
    Some are saying Landa’s come from nowhere but he’s been rated as a top climber for years. He was just behind Nairo Quintana and Andrew Talansky as the best climber of the 2010 Tour de l’Avenir.
  • Ashbeck
    Ashbeck Posts: 235
    tumblr_np8xvamOPY1ruscp7o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_np8xvamOPY1ruscp7o9_1280.jpg

THE DOPER WINS AGAIN!
  • frenchfighter
    edited June 2015
    ^^Yeah he is definitely good but I would prefer to go on his previous GT and stage race performances rather than a race 5 years ago. If you look at just the winners of that race, some are strong performers in the mountains and some are not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_l%27Avenir
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Ashbeck wrote:
    Most boring Giro ever.

The event was killed the minute Porte was handed a Giro killing time penalty, because 'it's the rules'.

It's also the 'rules' to disqualify any rider who removes their helmet during a ride, just like Contador did.

2015 Giro. Corrupt, fixed and a total borefest. I won't be watching future versions based on this years shoddy display.

Maybe you missed the many chaotic stages allowing a GC Ryder to rampage back into 5th overall despite losing 5 mins on stage 3. In the context of this event, 2 mins was nowt.

Also. Seriously?
    richieportemotorhome.jpg