Motors on bikes (again)

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited June 2015 in Pro race
Seems to be gathering momentum. Yesterday Gilbert, Contador Elissonde Hesjedal Nocentini all had bikes taken at finish line - leaving non podium riders stranded !

They ve been removing seat pins and cranks - surely x rays would be easier ? Maybe on finish line :)

c3ba4d2c1ce8245594c245639dc641f5.jpg

Suspicions about Contadors Motorilo climb - I can't see anything obvious ??

motorcyclehillclimb.jpg

Comments

• nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    X-rays are pretty bad for your health. I don't suppose the riders would be too happy being bombarded with radiation every day. Mind you, health concerns haven't stopped them doing all kinds of things before now...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    The UCI are checking bikes regularly now as a routine measure. First I recall them doing it was Milan San Remo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    nic_77 wrote:
    X-rays are pretty bad for your health. I don't suppose the riders would be too happy being bombarded with radiation every day. Mind you, health concerns haven't stopped them doing all kinds of things before now...

that was tongue in cheek obviously I mean just the bikes
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    nic_77 wrote:

that was tongue in cheek obviously I mean just the bikes

Yeah, I sort of figured... but maybe we would be able to pull Bertie up on his BS broken bone stories.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Has anybody looked into the effects of x-rays on carbon frames? If they melt in the rain, what chance have they got when bombarded with radiation. Could be a disaster waiting to happen!
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    They've been doing this from time to time since that video first appeared on YouTube. Helps keep the bottom half of the internet from getting *too* mental, I guess.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Yet still nobody has actually ever seen one of these bikes with a motor in the hub/BB and no cables/batteries stuck all over the frame. Until there's an actual, physical working bike that looks completely normal, with a motor concealed that can produce 30/40/50w of power and above, then it's science fiction.
  • JA-Q001
    JA-Q001 Posts: 2
    http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ery-44345/

Maybe this is not so science fiction
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Tbh I can't imagine any will be found. I think the whole theory is ridiculous.
    That said, have the UCI actually stated any likely punishments if any motors are found?
    Would they deem it as serious as doping?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    redvision wrote:
    Would they deem it as serious as doping?

I read somewhere the punishment is worse than in the case of doping... by a similar rule to that you get a much tougher sentence for robbing a bank than you get for killing someone by dangerous driving
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Yet still nobody has actually ever seen one of these bikes with a motor in the hub/BB and no cables/batteries stuck all over the frame. Until there's an actual, physical working bike that looks completely normal, with a motor concealed that can produce 30/40/50w of power and above, then it's science fiction.

Try google, there are plenty of examples that by simply moving the battery to the seat tube would become exactly what you describe, a normal bike with a concealed motor and power source. The technology exists and given some former riders have made allegations it has been used in races the UCI would be remiss not to make some simple checks.

As for x-rays being simpler - I'm pretty sure you can employ a bike mechanic for an hour cheaper than you can buy an x-ray machine, transport it around and employ someone to operate it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    NorvernRob wrote:

Try google, there are plenty of examples that by simply moving the battery to the seat tube would become exactly what you describe, a normal bike with a concealed motor and power source. The technology exists and given some former riders have made allegations it has been used in races the UCI would be remiss not to make some simple checks.

As for x-rays being simpler - I'm pretty sure you can employ a bike mechanic for an hour cheaper than you can buy an x-ray machine, transport it around and employ someone to operate it.

I have looked, but all I can find are bikes with near-1kg batteries mounted in a saddlebag or bidon, and wires sticking out. Are there any actual bikes with no saddlebag, no bottles, no extra wires sticking out etc with a complete electric setup hidden within the frame/seatpost?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    https://www.electricbike.com/stealth/

So according to this bizarre website - the only stealthy looking ones are very noisy.

Techniques for passing roadies including
    2. When you drift pass road bikers, cut the throttle and pedal like hell.
    3. If your bike is noisy, do not juice the motor within ear shot of riders you are passing. Sprint pedal way past them then reapply the motor.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Contadors bike being taken away for scrutineering, I wonder if they'll find anything?...

Caterham-Classic-e-bike-03.jpeg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Escher303 wrote:

Its going to be 80%+ efficient, so maybe 10 to 20W of heat, good luck detecting that against baking hot tarmac.
  • vinnymarsden
    vinnymarsden Posts: 560

Has anyone seen anything like this in the Giro?? :lol::lol:
    Personally I think its utter ball cocks…but who knows….I recall seeing Cancellara just totally ride away from everyone in one of the spring classics about 3yrs ago…..and everyone said he had a motor….yes..its in his chest/legs!!!
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    theoretically it's possible IF you are really bothered enough, have deep enough pockets and people with the full understanding of what's possible and how.
    'wiggle' motion and/or vibration technology to recycle lost energy & convert into electricity is already in use.
    1.5mm diameter motors that are the size of a roller bearing are already in medical and aeronautical use.
    No wires required to transfer the electricity, a secondary inner 'skin' of carbon fibre would be able to transmit that energy wherever you wanted to use it.
    Way too expensive to develop and the wattage tiny in all likelihood but the tech is there, would make it all but impossible to detect even with an X-ray because the only moving parts are the tiny motors which would likely would be contained within a sealed bearing unit.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Hooch1987 wrote:
    Look at the photo of the motor assembly itself in that article. Those motors are only "hidden" as long as you don't pop out the cranks and seatpost, which seems to be exactly what the UCI were doing in the Giro. Only takes a few minutes to do it, and if there's anything remotely like that motor tucked in there where it shouldn't be it's going to be pretty damn obvious. Those motors also still require an external battery, which again is going to be easy to find if you're checking over a frame at very close range. Even if you throw the battery away during the stage, that's not going to hide the hole in the frame.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    it's a sad state of the sport that so much cheating goes on that riders actually think this exists and is in use.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    There's no point having a weight limit if you don't weigh the bikes

There's no point in having regulations on TT position if you don't measure the bikes

There's no point having regulations on motors in bikes if...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    The UCI obviously believe there is some credence to this, otherwise why spend their time setting out punishments, checking bikes etc?
  • ddraver
    The UCI obviously believe there is some credence to this, otherwise why spend their time setting out punishments, checking bikes etc?

Have a look at my post above
    - @ddraver
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Yeah, it was in reply to yours, but I preferred to write more than just "+1"
  • ddraver
    Ah, misunderstanding then, soz

The practicalities are laughable really but pro cyclists are usually stupid so if no one ever ever checked then some moron would try it on...
    - @ddraver
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    If it turns out that this is going on (perhaps a bit in the future as the technology improves) have the UCI said what the penalty would be for anyone getting caught? I would have thought that it was so indefensible that it would be an instant lifetime ban.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Dabber wrote:
    If it turns out that this is going on (perhaps a bit in the future as the technology improves) have the UCI said what the penalty would be for anyone getting caught? I would have thought that it was so indefensible that it would be an instant lifetime ban.
    I would suspect a regular regime of EPO gets you more watts for longer than one of these micro-motors. Why punish motor abusers more than dopers?

I think both should get lifetime bans but that's another debate.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Daz555 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    I would suspect a regular regime of EPO gets you more watts for longer than one of these micro-motors. Why punish motor abusers more than dopers?

"Why punish motor abusers more than dopers?"

Because, unless I'm missing something if you are caught with a motor than can be no ambiguity... no debate about whether your medical ailment prescription was the cause, contaminated meat, naturally high levels etc etc.

Btw, I'm with you on life bans for both actually but the motor doping seems particularly clear cut.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Dabber wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

"Why punish motor abusers more than dopers?"

Because, unless I'm missing something if you are caught with a motor than can be no ambiguity... no debate about whether your medical ailment prescription was the cause, contaminated meat, naturally high levels etc etc.

Btw, I'm with you on life bans for both actually but the motor doping seems particularly clear cut.
    This is why personally i don't think it's happening. You can at least convince yourself that doping is OK, but this is so clear cut, premeditated cheating. Not to mention that technically I just can't see it.