Giro D'Italia- Stage 18 ***Spoilers***

12346»

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I'm torn between wanting Contador to keep this race as exciting as it has been, even though the GC is already done and dusted, and wanting him to ease off and make the TdF equally so
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    FJS wrote:
    It's somewhat encouraging to see that Astana seem to be fading towards the end of a three week grand tour

Went through my mind as well. Perhaps all the mutterings about tiring themselves out in the first week were right after all.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    What Rick said and what Bigbean said.

Hopefully Contador takes it easy tomorrow and Astana realise they need to sit tight and wait until Sat. Then would love Contador to win on Saturday.

He will come to the Tour 100% and if he is a little off the pace he can ride wheels for the first half and then show the youngsters how to weave a legend.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    Crozza wrote:
    I'm torn between wanting Contador to keep this race as exciting as it has been, even though the GC is already done and dusted, and wanting him to ease off and make the TdF equally so

I wonder how much difference taking it midly more easy (it's all relative) in the last 4 days and giving it the beans really makes.

I suspect if he's on the attack he's not going super deep into the paincave so my guess is that the difference is marginal to non-existant.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,932
    Bert can go full gas for the last few days. It will have no impact on his ability to perform at the Tour because we all know of the miraculousness of his ability to recover.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Macaloon wrote:
    FFS STFU. This is a great race. ^^^^ These are honking mouldy arguments.

This. With all due respect.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    FFS STFU. This is a great race. ^^^^ These are honking mouldy arguments.

This. With all due respect.

Agreed and from people who should know better.

Great stage Phil Gil back to his best and having a great Giro. Contador exuding a lot of class and kahunas. I can't remember a move like that since Hinault or, maybe Pantani as GT tour leading is now dully defensive.

I hope he gives a climbing masterclass over the next couple of days. A joy to watch.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    UCI looking for hidden motors.

5 bikes checked after the stage & the lucky 5 are Gilbert, Contador, Hesjedal, Nocentini, Elissonde.

A UCI official refused to comment on the checks when queried, but an official race communique described them as “unnanounced bike checks to clarify the absence of hidden motors.”

“We proceeded to verify the bicycle by removing the saddle, or the pedal axle to view the inside of the bottom bracket,” the communique states.

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com
  • frenchfighter
    @olegtinkov · 2h 2 hours ago
    Karma.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Team Lotto Jumbo on CyclingQuotes ...

Steven Kruijswijk successfully defended his mountain jersey and eighth place in the overall of the Giro d’Italia today. Philippe Gilbert, who was part of an early break, won the 18th stage. The BMC rider attacked in the final kilometres and soloed to victory in Verbania.

“Saxo-Tinkoff went full gas on the way to the Monto Ologno,” Kruijswijk said. “Contador’s attack on the climb was impressive. I tried to follow, but he went too fast. There was nothing to do.

"I was lucky that the break took all the points at the top. I’ll keep an eye on Intxausti, but it’s quite difficult for me, as I don’t want to lose my position in the overall. I shouldn’t waste my strength.”

The 19th stage is indicated as a five star stage in the Giro road book. The riders have to complete 236 kilometres. In the final 86 kilometres, they have to tackle three climbs of the first category.

"We now face two of the toughest stages,” Sports Director Frans Maassen said. “Our men were really attentive today. In the run-up to the climb, there was a crash, but thanks to good teamwork, we came out unscathed. That’s a nice bonus and good for our confidence when you look at the next two days.”
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Ha, some proper poetic justice today. Contador lets his legs do the talking yet again.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    What Rick said and what Bigbean said.

Hopefully Contador takes it easy tomorrow and Astana realise they need to sit tight and wait until Sat. Then would love Contador to win on Saturday.

He will come to the Tour 100% and if he is a little off the pace he can ride wheels for the first half and then show the youngsters how to weave a legend.

interesting that Daniel Friebe thinks the Tour Will be decided in the first week! Seems a bit of a stretch, but could be lost in that time.
  • frenchfighter
    How does he come to that conclusion? Crosswinds, cobbles, short sharp finishes. Yeah I suppose you could lose time there but personally I would rather opt for the mountains as the most dangerous...

The climbs in the second week are child's play compared to the Giro.

The ones in the final week are just long and copious.

Would be nice to see some steeper gradients for Contador and Quintana to capitalize on.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Cunego breaks his collarbone.

Amador:
    “The biggest change this year has been to my weight,” said Amador, whose best Grand Tour finish up to now was 29th in the 2012 Giro. “In the past, I was always a rider who carried five or six kilos more and I was looking at the classics and time trials. But I saw that as I lost weight, my climbing was getting better and better. I’m not a climber but I can climb at my own tempo and limit my losses. So I think that’s the biggest change, my weight.”

It’s a thought echoed by Movistar manager Eusebio Unzue. “It’s a big surprise for us too, but I think experience is the biggest factor: he’s become more professional in his approach,” Unzue told Cyclingnews in Melide on Thursday. “He’s lost a lot of weight compared to previous years and he’s seen how that can help him progress. Now he’s getting over the big mountains too.”

Contador:
    “Today was a different situation,” Contador said. “We were already working because we knew it would be very important to be in front to bottom of climb because there was space for only two riders. It would have been easier to stay at the back but it was also more dangerous behind so we decided to expend the energy. We looked at Fabio’s face and his expression told us that he didn’t have good legs so we went fast and in the end that was the right decision.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    How does he come to that conclusion? Crosswinds, cobbles, short sharp finishes. Yeah I suppose you could lose time there but personally I would rather opt for the mountains as the most dangerous...

I'll go out on a limb and say at least one of the big four will be out of the running by the TTT.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    Incidentally, I was glad hesjedal caught Bert. For a while it looked like he would spend the entire climb beasting it up hill about ten seconds back without one getting his face on telly.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    He's not my favourite rider, Bertie, but by God he has been super strong and has not been shy in kicking a$$ this Giro. It's an awesome display.
  • frenchfighter
    bettiniphoto_0210653_1_full.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Karma.

Hmm, not sure about karma. Seems to be Contador showed himself to be no different from Astana yesterday.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

The climbs in the second week are child's play compared to the Giro.

The ones in the final week are just long and copious.

Would be nice to see some steeper gradients for Contador and Quintana to capitalize on.

It's all those things plus a TTT with a tricky hill at the end. I recent races we seem to see more and more of the contenders being distanced at unexpected times, especially due to crashes. Hopefully not this year.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Inrng on Hesjedal:

"Contador was joined by Ryder Hesjedal, no mean feat for the Canadian. In full flight Hesjedal resembles a wounded giraffe trying to gallop." Made me chuckle, seems pretty apt!

http://inrng.com/2015/05/giro-stage-19-preview-2015/
  • greasedscotsman
    inseine wrote:
    I recent races we seem to see more and more of the contenders being distanced at unexpected times, especially due to crashes. Hopefully not this year.

Don't think it's a recent thing, it's always been like that. Well, as long as I've been watching. Would be surprised if one of the favourites hasn't lost some time before the TTT.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Apologies for the unnecessary profanity up-thread :)

Never mind the Tour preparation, yesterday's matadorclass wasn't what you'd expect from a mortal hell-bent on winning a stage.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    Karma.

Hmm, not sure about karma. Seems to be Contador showed himself to be no different from Astana yesterday.

More than a little unfair, imo. As someone upthread pointed out, the peloton is self-policing when it comes to enforcing (for want of a better word) unwritten rules.

As an example, see what happened when Sky drilled it through the feedzone in one the middle-eastern races in their early days, or the many times Movistar have drilled it when an opponent has been in difficulty.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Kruijstador. Perfect sympathetic body language.

CGBXX3sUgAEHtJc.jpg
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    In that video you can also see at 1.17 that Aru was right at the front when Contador went.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    The_Boy wrote:
    Karma.

More than a little unfair, imo. As someone upthread pointed out, the peloton is self-policing when it comes to enforcing (for want of a better word) unwritten rules.

As an example, see what happened when Sky drilled it through the feedzone in one the middle-eastern races in their early days, or the many times Movistar have drilled it when an opponent has been in difficulty.

I think the argument is that it isn't really 'karma' - just a case of 'two wrongs not making a right'.

That said, I agree that incidents like these often provoke the best spectacle. It's like the obsession in football of introducing technology to eliminate incorrect decisions - it is those incorrect decisions along with other disparity, goals-that-weren't, non-goals-that-were etc that make the sport interesting to a spectator and provide the significant talking points.
  • greasedscotsman
    The_Boy wrote:

Maybe. It's really Tinkoff's comments I'm having a go at. If he feels Astana and Katusha have no class because of how they rode on stage 16, then neither does his own rider.