Giro Stage 13 - Spoilers

124»

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Nah defo in the front:
    http://cdn2.streamable.com/video/16abb6 ... adbe8.webm

Got to love the way Tinky knew exactly what to do. Immediately giving their bike to Contador and giving him a running push. Drilled.

It ain't rocket science, you get back on a bike and go. Looks like Porte just gave up.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    NorvernRob wrote:
    In the replay it looked like Porte was just sat on the floor for ages after he crashed. Unless he's injured there no reason for that, he should have got straight up and got back on a bike. I hope he didn't just give it up right there and then.

He was never going to beat Contador after the 2 minute penalty and he was probably on the floor shocked at how bad his luck is. He could still quite possibly get a podium if he wants it but he might just go for a stage win now.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Apparently the first time in his career Contador has lost the lead in a GT

Still haven't had the time to watch any of this race.
    Seem a belter. I'm tempted to take the hit for the team and continue to miss it :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Cyclingnews.com ‏@Cyclingnewsfeed · 5m5 minutes ago
    Aru savours becoming the first ever Sardinian in pink at the Giro d’Italia |
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    @olegtinkov · 1h 1 hour ago
    I think @FabioAru1 deserves to have a pink, he's young, tried hard and he is an Italian- good for Ciclismo Italiano isn't it ?

@albertocontador · 2h 2 hours ago
    Bad day at Giro with the final crash,lost time,pink jersey&aching from the blows.Tomorrow59km ITT
    @albertocontador · 2h 2 hours ago
    Thanks team for your great work and thanks to @Toso_74 for giving me your bike. #Tosomitico @tinkoff_saxo #Giro

@richie_porte · 3h 3 hours ago
    That's bike racing I suppose. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail #nail
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    lot of racing left in this giro
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • sportvan
    sportvan Posts: 105
    Curse of motorhome ?, I wonder if Porte will still bother sleeping in it on his own now that he's over 5 minutes down.

Looks like sky will now have to "Animate the race" and go for stage wins
  • frenchfighter
    i-4bfzsdr.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Porte saying his knee is f**ked.
  • frenchfighter
    Joelsim wrote:
    Porte saying his knee is f**ked.

At the bus, he looked at his white time trial bike that had been brought out for his warm down ahead of Saturday’s 59.4-kilometer stage. What he said next to the mechanic indicated that this Giro d’Italia might be another missed grand tour opportunity for the 30-year-old.

“I’m not doing any pedaling,” Porte said. “My knee’s f—ked.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    God dammit I need him to get back to the top 4 or I'll lose £2!

Still, will make my money back on contador though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    Porte got taken out by a team mate who'd almost managed to avoid the initial crash. Uran looks in with a podium shout again after a bad first week. It's a shame that bad luck has had such an impact on what could have been a really closely fought GT but I guess it happens in virtually every GT when you look at it.

How many fines / penalties were handed out today for riders not wearing race capes / gilets in clear or team colours or failing to display their numbers?
  • frenchfighter
    Art. 12.1.040 / 29
    Insulti, minacce, comportamento scorretto.
    Injures, menaces, comportement incorrect.
    Insults, threats, unseemly behaviour.
    100 CHF di ammenda / d’amende / fine
    Corridori / Coureurs / Riders
    34 BOEM Nicola, ITA19890927, Bardiani CSF
    79 VEIKKANEN Jussi, FIN19810329, FDJ
    82 CHEVRIER Clement, FRA19920629, IAM Cycling

“Richie has placed a thousand bets on this stage, and so has Urán,” Contador said. “We’ll have to see how my shoulder holds up, but the most important thing these past few days is that my legs are starting to feel much better. The big difference in a grand tour is each rider’s ability to recover … No matter what happens, this time trial will not decide the Giro.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    I had assumed that those guys were the breakaway and fines were a direct result of the roadblock/ level crossing incident but this is clearly not the case. Is that the race cape clan then?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    RonB wrote:
    I had assumed that those guys were the breakaway and fines were a direct result of the roadblock/ level crossing incident but this is clearly not the case. Is that the race cape clan then?

My guess would be it was something under the 'unseemly behaviour' category. Maybe a toilet break in the wrong location or something?

Main thing is, yet again, blatant flouting of a clothing rule that's intended to help rider identification (which is essential not only for viewer enjoyment but also to assist the commissaires) has escaped any punishment.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    I am so depressed. :cry:

sad_horse.jpg

I HATE this Giro.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Aru started the day 17s down. Think that means he must have been in the first group which I didn't think he was. Maybe there wasn't a split in the eyes of the official.
    \

Aru was in the 'second' group - 4 seconds down from the lead group of sprinters. And was credited as such.

I spotted him straight away and was wondering when Contador was going to cross the line (Tv on mute so had no commentary to listen to).
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Is Richie penciled in for the Vuelta? You might find him give less than 100% now and switch his riding back to build up mode. Desperately sad, so much wanted him to win this one.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    The way froomes been riding the last 22 months it may be best for Porte to aim for the tour. This giro can't have taken an unrecoverable amount out of him.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    2nd fastest Giro stage ever yesterday.
    Contador is the Greatest