Stage 12 Giro d'Italia 2015 *SPOILERS*

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Porte lost another 3 seconds on Contador not including Contador's bonus seconds.

Aru further down.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Contador gained 3secs there. +Bonus seconds for 2nd

Formolo right up there.

More than that on Aru
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    edited May 2015
    Porte just letting Contador go or did he just not have the legs today? Strange he'd be happy to lose more time if he was able to stay in there, he's the one that should be trying to pick up these bonus seconds.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    GC:
    Contador
    Aur @ 17secs
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TheBigBean
    1 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team 4:22:50
    2 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:00:03
    3 Diego Ulissi (Ita) Lampre-Merida
    4 Simon Geschke (Ger) Team Giant-Alpecin
    5 Enrico Battaglin (Ita) Bardiani CSF
    6 Paolo Tiralongo (Ita) Astana Pro Team
    7 Ion Izagirre (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:06
    8 Carlos Betancur (Col) AG2R La Mondiale
    9 Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Soudal
    10 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team
  • frenchfighter
    Contador the strongest. Beware the real mountains coming up.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Porte just letting Contador go or did he just not have the legs today? Strange he'd be happy to lose more time if he was able to stay in there.
    Porte is to sprinting what Kittel is to climbing. He just hasn't got the top speed to keep up on a short sharp finish. I expected him to maybe lose a second or two, but not Aru who has shown previosuly that he's a quicker finisher than Contador.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    GC

1 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff-Saxo 51:17:06
    2 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:00:17
    3 Mikel Landa Meana (Spa) Astana Pro Team 0:00:55
    4 Dario Cataldo (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:01:30
    5 Roman Kreuziger (Cze) Tinkoff-Saxo 0:01:55
    6 Rigoberto Uran (Col) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:02:19
    7 Giovanni Visconti (Ita) Movistar Team 0:02:21
    8 Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC Racing Team 0:02:29
    9 Andrey Amador (CRc) Movistar Team 0:02:38
    10 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Sky 0:02:44
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Porte just letting Contador go or did he just not have the legs today? Strange he'd be happy to lose more time if he was able to stay in there.
    Porte is to sprinting what Kittel is to climbing. He just hasn't got the top speed to keep up on a short sharp finish. I expected him to maybe lose a second or two, but not Aru who has shown previosuly that he's a quicker finisher than Contador.

Let's not be silly here. You know Contador cannot sprint. Contador is the better climber, that's all there is to it. And on the longer climbs he will be even better.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    RichN95 wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:

Let's not be silly here. You know Contador cannot sprint. Contador is the better climber, that's all there is to it. And on the longer climbs he will be even better.
    All the MTF sprints so far in this Giro have finished in the order Aru-Contador-Porte. Next to Porte, Contador looks like Dan Martin. Porte is a chugger, pure and simple. I doubt he could out accelerate Basso.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Geniez was the fdj rider and here is that 30 sec clip of his poor descening:
    https://vid.me/HoR8
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Very nice helmet Contador has changed to for today.

Another soaking wet afternoon.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Does look comfortable doesn't he?

Contador that is.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Geniez was the fdj rider and here is that 30 sec clip of his poor descening:
    https://vid.me/HoR8
    Funny, but at least he stayed on the bike!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,234
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:

All the MTF sprints so far in this Giro have finished in the order Aru-Contador-Porte. Next to Porte, Contador looks like Dan Martin. Porte is a chugger, pure and simple. I doubt he could out accelerate Basso.

That's why I thought I was being clever by selecting Aru today on PTP. But I pride myself on a cunning form of clever that conceals itself in plonkerdom...
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    RichN95 wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:

Yeah I appreciate he can't sprint, but he should have been positioned better so he didn't lose as much time. He was just too far back before the climb even started. Aru looked poor full stop.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Mechanism wrote:
    More importantly has Flecha had his hair cut?

Unless it's the most subtle of haircuts, I would say no:

djTsBkm.jpg

Should also keep the coloured jeans/chinos people happy.

That is a blessed relief and those are awesome trousers!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The Little Man's fightback begins.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    So, a rest day tomorrow (for watching, as it will be crap). Then the TT on Saturday and then quite likely know the outcome of the race on Sunday.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    mfin wrote:
    So, a rest day tomorrow (for watching, as it will be crap). Then the TT on Saturday and then quite likely know the outcome of the race on Sunday.

That's the spirit!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Porte just letting Contador go or did he just not have the legs today? Strange he'd be happy to lose more time if he was able to stay in there, he's the one that should be trying to pick up these bonus seconds.

He's always going to struggle on the short sharp ramps. I don't think he really cares about losing a second to Contador anymore either.

The more surprising thing was Aru losing time as previously he's been the fastest out of the three of them and he desperately wanted to take the leader's jersey. Contador said he thought he was struggling a bit on yesterday's stage. Maybe he is getting a bit fatigued.
  • frenchfighter
    Interesting comments from Contador:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contado ... ro-ditalia
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    giro15st12-uphill-sprint-gilbert-big.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Although fading a little towards the end of his career, Gilbert is still class.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Who's the dwarf between Gilbert and Contador?
    giro15st12-uphill-sprint-gilbert-big.jpg

Superb pic btw.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545

Superb pic btw.

Probably Tiralongo. Giving everything for Contador, as usual. Nice of them to ride in height order for the pic.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

He really is. Just watched the highlights and was calling out BMC for leaving it too late! Great stuff from Gilbert.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • pinno
    Macaloon wrote:

Superb pic btw.

Probably Tiralongo. Giving everything for Contador, as usual. Nice of them to ride in height order for the pic.

I am trying desperately to find someone in Pro Race with a sense of humour. The search continues...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

He really is. Just watched the highlights and was calling out BMC for leaving it too late! Great stuff from Gilbert.

He knows how to time those ramps. Very LBL type finish today, others go too early and you think with 200m left it's too late to close the gap but he just gets it right. Good finish and some very dodgy descending, especially by the FDJ rider!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Macaloon wrote:

Superb pic btw.

I am trying desperately to find someone in Pro Race with a sense of humour. The search continues...

:)