2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    IC. wrote:
    Now, 2 points I'd like a daft statement from you on.

Suck it.

contador21.jpg

Your fantasies running away with you again?!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    jeez...there are a fair few personal attacks on here. Stay classy
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Popcorn sales for a Wednesday afternoon have gone through the roof
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    You could even make the excuse that this could have made the race more exciting. ie/. Porte will now have to race aggressively rather than the totally boring and un-fan friendly way he races.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement - I think he races smart when team leader, which is not always that spectacular but has been effective.

But I'm not sure either him or his team are strong enough to gain back that much time. The appeal of the race for me was watching/guessing whether Porte could hang with Contador in the mtns, or at least limit his losses, and try and defened a smallish lead after the ITT. I think that's gone now

Ironically if the roles had been reversed, with Porte 3 mins up on Contador, it would have been much more exciting for me. I think Contador would be more willing, and more able, to try a long range hail mary attack
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Wrong thread, donkey.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Crozza wrote:
    You could even make the excuse that this could have made the race more exciting. ie/. Porte will now have to race aggressively rather than the totally boring and un-fan friendly way he races.

I'm not sure I agree with this statement - I think he races smart when team leader, which is not always that spectacular but has been effective.

But I'm not sure either him or his team are strong enough to gain back that much time. The appeal of the race for me was watching/guessing whether Porte could hang with Contador in the mtns, or at least limit his losses, and try and defened a smallish lead after the ITT. I think that's gone now

Ironically if the roles had been reversed, with Porte 3 mins up on Contador, it would have been much more exciting for me. I think Contador would be more willing, and more able, to try a long range hail mary attack

Absolute tosh. Real fans go and see the races from the roadside, not sat at a computer spouting juvenile fanboi rubbish. GTs are won by using the head, as well as the legs, or TV Tommy would win everything.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Any complaints if I lock the thread?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

Yes, it will affect other threads.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Why?

It's still a live topic about things that only happened yesterday. As the Bean above says, it will just seep into other threads.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Some embarrassing stuff right here. Waw.

8oG2tr1.gif
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

To be widely presented with an infraction and not acting on it, is worse than seeing an infraction and taking the stipulated action, even if common consensus is the penalty is too harsh.

It is like a police officer being shown a clear video of someone being attacked but not acting on it because he thinks the person getting beaten up deserves it. This is not how justice and the law works. Deal with it.

All this complaining about whether the rule is legitimate or not is pointless. The teams and riders should have read and know these rules and if there is something that seems unfair, not relevant, disproportionate, then they should lobby to change it. Call up Cookson. They have themselves to blame and no one else.

When they see an infraction they act appropriately. If they are dispensing justice arbitrarily, which one would naturally assume not to be the case, then this is a different matter which needs to be addressed.
    Did it give him a time advantage like Porte's infraction did?
    Has anyone been thrown off the race for removing their helment momentarily?
    Is the rule about not putting your helmet back on? Ie/. riding without a helmet?
    Was video evidence thrown around immediately after the event that the Giro organizers did not act on?

Someone appears a bit conflicted and inconsistent. Either that or trolling.

Edit - in answer to that last line / question - yes, it was clearly shown live and close up on TV. It was even discussed on the commentary as he had to remove it and replace it one handed due to his injury.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Still not happy about this. Either enforce all the rules to the letter and ban the sticky bottle, magic spanner or don't. Don't just do not because you feel like it on the day. Could you imagine the reaction from the Italian fans if this was Aru? It would never have happened.

It sends out the wrong message completely in the fact that Astana didn't lose their world tour licence despite what happened earlier in the season with their embarrassing incidents but a gesture like this basically ruins a guy's chance of winning the race in an incident that has happened before and has gone unpunished (In fact 8 days earlier in the same race!)

Nobody can really be happy with this, I'm sure Contador and Aru don't want to gain an advantage in that way? I do wonder why they didn't slow the race down, imagine the criticism "the internet" would have thrown at Sky had they ridden on if Contador or Aru had a puncture?

The real blame lies on the UCI for making idiots of themselves and showing they are indeed completely out of touch with reality.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    What I want to know is, do the Giro feel really embarrassed about this tweet now:

Untitled_zps0mf1nisa.png

I mean in light of what has happened one can read the "This is cycling. This is the best sport in the world" in a whole new light.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    What I want to know is, do the Giro feel really embarrassed about this tweet now:

Untitled_zps0mf1nisa.png

I mean in light of what has happened one can read the "This is cycling. This is the best sport in the world" in a whole new light.
    I really hope they do, it's an epic fail.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Why?

It's still a live topic about things that only happened yesterday. As the Bean above says, it will just seep into other threads.

Because when I say it people usually stop slinging mud at one another and are better behaved.

8)
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    RichN95 wrote:
    Why?

Because when I say it people usually stop slinging mud at one another and are better behaved.

8)

I think the Lars Bak abandon thread GIF would probably do the job.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Bluemoon17 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Why?

8)

I think the Lars Bak abandon thread GIF would probably do the job.

Fun fact! Just realised my little gif actually has got over 13,000 visits! That's pretty cool, eh!
    https://imgflip.com/gif/a6ott
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Pross wrote:
    Did it give him a time advantage like Porte's infraction did?
    Has anyone been thrown off the race for removing their helment momentarily?
    Is the rule about not putting your helmet back on? Ie/. riding without a helmet?
    Was video evidence thrown around immediately after the event that the Giro organizers did not act on?

Someone appears a bit conflicted and inconsistent. Either that or trolling.

Edit - in answer to that last line / question - yes, it was clearly shown live and close up on TV. It was even discussed on the commentary as he had to remove it and replace it one handed due to his injury.

And on the first line, yes he could have gained an advantage. If he had followed the rules then he should have stop, taken his helmet off and then continued. Therefore loosing time on the peleton. he might have been able to chase back, but thats speculation, just like its speculating that he would have lost more time if he took the wheel from the Sky rider that is watching the wheel change in the photo.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Still not happy about this. Either enforce all the rules to the letter and ban the sticky bottle, magic spanner or don't. Don't just do not because you feel like it on the day. Could you imagine the reaction from the Italian fans if this was Aru? It would never have happened.

It sends out the wrong message completely in the fact that Astana didn't lose their world tour licence despite what happened earlier in the season with their embarrassing incidents but a gesture like this basically ruins a guy's chance of winning the race in an incident that has happened before and has gone unpunished (In fact 8 days earlier in the same race!)

Nobody can really be happy with this, I'm sure Contador and Aru don't want to gain an advantage in that way? I do wonder why they didn't slow the race down, imagine the criticism "the internet" would have thrown at Sky had they ridden on if Contador or Aru had a puncture?

The real blame lies on the UCI for making idiots of themselves and showing they are indeed completely out of touch with reality.

What has this incident got to do with Astana???????

Secondly, knowing what a stickler to the rules and fair play Dave B is, I would be very surprised if he would want the situation handled any other way. As he himself said, if you cheat in one area of the sport, what is to stop you from cheating in others. Dave will take the penalty and move on. I suggest you guys who are seeing this as an attack on your beloved clean team Sky take a leaf out of Dave Bs book and just suck it up.

they broke a rule, got penalised and are moving on with the race. what any other teams are doing is irrelevant. Team Sky worry about controlling the controllable - this is such a situation. They messed up and will make sure it doesn't happen again.
  • IC. wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    Porte will now have to race aggressively rather than the totally boring and un-fan friendly way he races. .

You must be blind.

Hey, FF, seeing as you're Porte bashing again, for no good reason. How's about an opinion from you on this:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x14ouzf_chris-froome-attack-mont-ventoux-tour-de-france-2013_sport

That's a video from 2013, when Froome SPANKED good old Bertie up Mont Ventoux. We all remember it well. Porte gave it the bones on the front of a small group before Froomey attacked and put time into your favourite cheater. This is old news, obviously. We all know on that day how Froome showed he was a class apart from your doper of an idol - anyway, that's not why I link the video

Notice if you will, what happens after Froome drops your Clenbuterol man C*ntador. Spying Mikel Nieve, he stops pointlessly chasing after the far superior Froome and drops into the wheel of Nieve. If you watch long enough, you'll see your cheating prick berating Nieve to pull harder for him, all the while sitting in his wheel all the way to the top - well, not quite all the way as it turns out. If you remember, even Nieve was able to drop him for 17 secs by the top of that climb.

Now, 2 points I'd like a daft statement from you on.
    1. Your man the doper clearly demanding Nieve ride for him, despite being on a different team, never once putting his wheel in the wind. Is that taking help from another Team? I wonder how much your man the steak enthusiast promised him?
    2. Would you describe the way your man Alberto the lying, never had a dislocated shoulder, actually barely had a bruise, crashed at all of 4kph to what really looked like a soft landing and didn't show any ill effects moments later, Captain Cried Wolf, don't ask me for broken leg x-rays because their aren't any, Contador - rode that race as "aggresive", "non boring" and "fan friendly"??

Personally, I'd call the way he rode that stage as embarrassing. Like the time he attacked Andy when he dropped his chain in 2010, that was hardly fan friendly, but it certainly was aggressive

I suggest before criticising every other rider on the planet in favour of your man "el pene" (you do speak highly of other riders I'll admit), you stop and think a bit.

this post is hilarious! are you michelle cound?
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    The irony of Contador / Nieve on Ventoux in 2013 is that whilst Alberto may have been expecting some Spanish solidarity to help pull him up the mountain, Nieve was probably thinking more about the contract he was about to sign with Sky for 2014, and by watching Froome ride away and not helping Alberto he maybe added a few more € to his deal.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Paul 8v wrote:

Untitled_zps0mf1nisa.png

I really hope they do, it's an epic fail.

Do you mean the Giro as in an amorphous corporate body? Or the Giro's social media manager who probably didn't know about the rule either...
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    dish_dash wrote:
    Do you mean the Giro as in an amorphous corporate body? Or the Giro's social media manager who probably didn't know about the rule either...

Both. I would be cringing with embarrassment by the whole sorry business if I was anyone associated with the Giro. I think the tweet highlights beautifully the whole issue. People think, 'oh how nice, what a lovely sporting gesture, doesn't this make cycling look awesome, what a great way to promote our race.' But such sentiment is then crushed by a group of faceless bureaucrats wielding their arbitrary hammer of justice like a toddler with a stick because people aren't allowed to have nice things or warm fuzzy feelings and now your attempt to promote your sport looks crass and utterly ridiculous.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

It is written by Stephen Roche who is now a stickler for the rules. Somewhat odd given his Giro win in 1987 he effectively only had one actual team mate and another team working for him, so I think it is highly likely he would have taken a wheel from another team. None of that means he is not entitle to an opinion now.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The best thing to come out of this is Tinkovsaxo's stupidity:

“Rules are rules, yes, but it’s how you implement the rules some days,” De Jongh
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:
    Do you mean the company as in an amorphous corporate body? Or the lowly minion who probably didn't know about the rule either...

Says the risk manager to the compliance officer...
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    sjmclean wrote:
    The best thing to come out of this is Tinkovsaxo's stupidity:

“Rules are rules, yes, but it’s how you implement the rules some days,” De Jongh
    In other words, "Rules are rules, except when they aren't"...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    “This is not a new rule it’s been in the books for many decade I don’t think that it’s unreasonable to expect the riders to know the rules. The commissaires took the decision and the right decision in my opinion and in any case I don't think it would be correct for me to intervene,” said Cookson.
    “I think it could be said that maybe the pen was on the high side. It’s not a new rule and I don’t’ think it’s unreasonable to expect the teams to understand those rules.”
    Contador is the Greatest