Astana

Comments

• specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    can't we just leave them alone . They have matching shorts and jersey and their colonel has a nice hat

photo_19877.jpg
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    suddenly a lot fewer* marmots around here...?!?

*thankyou King Stannis

I don't get the reference, but I've not watched last night's episode. Do we have to have a no GoT spoiler rule on the forum?
    It was a minor thing (from last week I think). He just muttered a less/fewer grammar correction.

However, in the latest episode Stannis did raise a marmot army.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who spotted that. Stannis has also gone up in my estimations - tonight Davos will be calling him "Stannis Baratheon the First of His Name, The One True King of Westeros, Grammar Pedant."
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Macaloon wrote:
    Skyradar operators are talking down Astana's performance so that when Porte cruises to victory on the back of a dominant TT, 'he only beat a developing 24 year-old Aru and a dislocated Contador'.

59.5km for Porte is unknown territory. Is he really expecting to get enough of a gap before the final week in a single TT? Remember, he was a flop last year as the default leader.
    I'd suggest he has been quiet and following Aru's/Contador's wheel because that is all he can do. He's not Greg Lemond following Fignon.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    59.5km for Porte is unknown territory. Is he really expecting to get enough of a gap before the final week in a single TT? Remember, he was a flop last year as the default leader.
    I'd suggest he has been quiet and following Aru's/Contador's wheel because that is all he can do. He's not Greg Lemond following Fignon.

He narrowly beat Dennis at the Australian champs, with Bobridge +27. I suspect he's hoping to build enough of a margin to hold on through week 3, and if he maintains form I think he's got a great chance. He looked stronger than Froome on week 3 of the 2013 Tour.

Massive pressure. This might be his last chance.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Well, as for this week's Game of Thrones I don't think I'm giving anything away if I say I'd have preferred a marmot army commanded by Vino in his silly hat.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Macaloon wrote:
    Skyradar operators are talking down Astana's performance so that when Porte cruises to victory on the back of a dominant TT, 'he only beat a developing 24 year-old Aru and a dislocated Contador'.

"He was a flop last year as the default leader"?! This would be the Tour that he started as a domestique for Froome, the defending champion? The Tour where he only took over as leader mid-race on stage 5 after Froome abandoned, and then had some sort of illness that prevented him being anywhere near top form? Is that really what you call having a fair shot at being "default leader"?!

Given that neither Aru nor Contador has been able to open any significant gaps on their main rivals yet I don't understand how Porte not doing so indicates he's already struggling. If I was him, I'd be happy enough to follow their attacks and wait to see what the state of play is after the TT.
  • pinno
    Macaloon wrote:

He narrowly beat Dennis at the Australian champs, with Bobridge +27. I suspect he's hoping to build enough of a margin to hold on through week 3, and if he maintains form I think he's got a great chance. He looked stronger than Froome on week 3 of the 2013 Tour.

Massive pressure. This might be his last chance.

Not sure why you say it's his last chance. He's 29 and probably at his peak for the next 3 years? Just don't think he has what it takes. We shall see.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    If you look at Porte's ITT finishing positions in races where he has been the leader of the team you will see that they are very very good. I fully expect him to put a minute into Bert and probably 3 mins into Aru (although who the hell knows what Astana will come up with in this sense)
  • pinno
    Joelsim wrote:
    If you look at Porte's ITT finishing positions in races where he has been the leader of the team you will see that they are very very good. I fully expect him to put a minute into Bert and probably 3 mins into Aru (although who the hell knows what Astana will come up with in this sense)

What yer saying like?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    Given his remarkable form, Cataldo could end up in pink after the ITT.
    A minute or so over 60kms is nothing.
    Hell, it may be the distance that decides it, not past pedigree.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pinno
    Given his remarkable form, Cataldo could end up in pink after the ITT.
    A minute or so over 60kms is nothing.
    Hell, it may be the distance that decides it, not past pedigree.

Another doubter?!
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Joelsim wrote:
    Can we stay on topic, ie the degree to which Astana are dirty?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • pinno
    Joelsim wrote:
    Can we stay on topic, ie the degree to which Astana are dirty?

Joelsim and Blazing saddles suggested it. Not that off topic.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Well, as for this week's Game of Thrones I don't think I'm giving anything away if I say I'd have preferred a marmot army commanded by Vino in his silly hat.

More uncomfortable than watching blatant dopers sprint up climbs.
  • joelsim
    Official. Astana lead the fair play classification.

https://twitter.com/daniellloyd1/status ... 7629427712
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Cataldo is a quality rider. He left Sky and so is performing. That should not be surprising. Sky suppresses individual talent for the leaders. You all know that.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    Cataldo is a quality rider. He left Sky and so is performing. That should not be surprising. Sky suppresses individual talent for the leaders. You all know that.

True. The extra 2-3% is paying dividends already.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    3 Astana riders in the top 10, 6 in the top 30 on GC so far.
  • joelsim
    Crampeur wrote:
    3 Astana riders in the top 10, 6 in the top 30 on GC so far.

Excellent. Let's get Michele in to do the presentations!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

You're saying in the spoiler thread he's rubbish in the mountains. He's a climber who is rubbish in the mountains, yet you think he's quality?
  • frenchfighter
    There are too many flaws in what you have just posted to address.

Maybe you can go and watch Cataldo's performances in the Giro last year for some inspiration. You can also see my comments on him in the relevant spoiler threads.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    Cataldo definitely into pink after the ITT.
    Just like I said.
    Against the clock, far too good for the rest in his current form.

Astana have so many cards to play at this point in the race, it's just a pity they have only one guy to play them against.
    A pity for him, that is.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    Cataldo definitely into pink after the ITT.
    Just like I said.
    Against the clock, far too good for the rest in his current form.

Astana have so many cards to play at this point in the race, it's just a pity they have only one guy to play them against.
    A pity for him, that is.

Like I said earlier, there is only one guy who isn't a nailed-on certainty to be doping in the top 7 now. And he probably is.
  • Anonymous
    There are too many flaws in what you have just posted to address.

Maybe you can go and watch Cataldo's performances in the Giro last year for some inspiration. You can also see my comments on him in the relevant spoiler threads.

Postby frenchfighter » Tue May 19, 2015 7:08 pm

Dont worry about thr other Astana riders. Landa will get pumped in the TT and Cataldo will get pumped in the real mountains

He's a climber, you clearly don't think he's good enough in the mountains.

If I watch his performance from the Giro last year he's in Sky clothing, why would he be inspiring when: Post by frenchfighter » Tue May 19, 2015 1:31 pm

So many inconsistencies in your postings and mental states. I feel you should seek help.
  • frenchfighter
    What inconsistencies?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    I'll spell it out one last time:

You have said: "Cataldo is a quality rider."

His role is a climber and he was signed to be a super domestique in the mountains to Aru and Nibali as well as in TTT's. (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/astana- ... m-team-sky).

You then said: Cataldo will get pumped in the real mountains

So you clearly don't think he is good in the mountains, which would lead to one thinking he is bad at his job, and thus not a quality rider.
  • frenchfighter
    Wrong.

There are levels of climbing ability.

Cataldo is a good climber.

But he is not on the level of Quintana, Aru or Contador who will come to the fore in the real mountains.

It's pretty simple.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Wrong.

There are levels of climbing ability.

Cataldo is a good climber.

But he is not on the level of Quintana, Aru or Contador who will come to the fore in the real mountains.

It's pretty simple.

But saying he's quality doesn't imply he's good, it implies he excels at something.
  • frenchfighter
    Oh come on. You are clutching at straws now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Oh come on. You are clutching at straws now.

Pardon?

The colloquial use of the word quality, and the context used here implies that he excels at being a rider.

Tell me something then, if he is a quality rider but only a good climber, what is it that makes him a quality rider?