BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Although if it is merely a Bill and not an Act, then it can't have been quite the game changing negotiating strategy that he managed to convince the ultras it was.

Unfortunately those critical of the government cant have it both ways. The EUs position was always untenable and loads on here lapped it up. A key tenant of any legal process is that you actually have to break the law not just give yourself the domestic ability to do so.
    So it *is* just a sop to the head bangers :smile:
    No it is a sensible contingency plan in the event of no deal and the EU and Ireland playing games in January. The EU have embarrassed themselves with their premature ejaculation.
  • I'm confused. Was this guy not being truthful?

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,749
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Although if it is merely a Bill and not an Act, then it can't have been quite the game changing negotiating strategy that he managed to convince the ultras it was.

Unfortunately those critical of the government cant have it both ways. The EUs position was always untenable and loads on here lapped it up. A key tenant of any legal process is that you actually have to break the law not just give yourself the domestic ability to do so.
    No it is a sensible contingency plan in the event of no deal and the EU and Ireland playing games in January. The EU have embarrassed themselves with their premature ejaculation.
    It can't be a sensible contingency plan if it's just a Bill that hasn't been passed. It's an empty threat to give Brexiters a semi.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • john80

I'm confused. Was this guy not being truthful?

If you cant understand the concept of time i cant help you.
  • rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

It can't be a sensible contingency plan if it's just a Bill that hasn't been passed. It's an empty threat to give Brexiters a semi.
    Seems to me from the noise, that it has burst the balloons of the remoaners as it will remove their best chance of scuppering us leaving :smiley:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,950
    After everything that has happened it's ironic that Boris finds himself in essentially the same position as May and Starmer is in the same position as Corbyn.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Seems to me from the noise, that it has burst the balloons of the remoaners as it will remove their best chance of scuppering us leaving :smiley:
    Wait. Undoing Boris's deal to Get Brexit Done is the best way to get Brexit done?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

If I was your weekday colleague/persona I would write some angry diatribe about the fact that we have already left
  • interesting link explaining the difficulties Australia deals with and why it wants a FTA with the EU
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-australia/britain-open-to-aussie-style-eu-trade-deal-but-australia-wants-more-idUKKBN26Q0N5
  • john80 said:

Seriously, what's changed in that time?

I'm not understanding something.

Or did he mean "it might break international law in the future, if we choose to use it".
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681

john80 said:

Seriously, what's changed in that time?

I'm not understanding something.

Or did he mean "it might break international law in the future, if we choose to use it".
    Pretty clear that when debating a bill, the commentary assumes the bills passes, and it is not a debate about the debate itself.

• rjsterry

Amendments made to the IMB between its 3rd reading and going to the Lords. More attempts to use secondary legislation to bypass Parliament.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Amendments made to the IMB between its 3rd reading and going to the Lords. More attempts to use secondary legislation to bypass Parliament.
    A cynic might think it was done to allow the Lords a route to reject it without creating a constitutional crisis.

Or they are sticking two fingers up at the Brady bunch.
  • rjsterry
    I think the Lords were extremely likely to reject it anyway. The bit about ministers being able to make make regulations "... notwithstanding any relevant international or domestic law with which they may be incompatible" is pretty sinister as these would be secondary legislation not requiring parliamentary scrutiny. In other words. More government by decree and such decrees will override existing law and not be subject to judicial review. As you said, people only seem to be worried about the creeping authoritarianism if it stops them going to the pub.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• john80
    rjsterry said:

I think the Lords were extremely likely to reject it anyway. The bit about ministers being able to make make regulations "... notwithstanding any relevant international or domestic law with which they may be incompatible" is pretty sinister as these would be secondary legislation not requiring parliamentary scrutiny. In other words. More government by decree and such decrees will override existing law and not be subject to judicial review. As you said, people only seem to be worried about the creeping authoritarianism if it stops them going to the pub.

Do you realise that all the lords are doing is stringing out the timescales. The bill comes back to parliament where the government can alter the text and then pass it if they can get the numbers.
  • tailwindhome
    edited October 2020
    Lol

• rjsterry
    edited October 2020
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

Do you realise that all the lords are doing is stringing out the timescales. The bill comes back to parliament where the government can alter the text and then pass it if they can get the numbers.
    It's not much of a negotiating tactic if it comes into play after we've missed the opportunity to agree a deal. If the wording is changed then the Bill will have different effects.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    This Divided Nation

• Cummings is going to sell out the farmers. Kind of proves my point about Boris not being a Tory as standing up to the NFU is about the most un-tory thing you can do

In a hardline stance, Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson’s chief adviser, has instructed ministers not to make concessions when the government’s controversial agriculture bill returns to the Commons next Monday. The bill was amended in the House of Lords to include a requirement that food products imported under future trade deals meet or exceed UK domestic standards.

Peers also passed a plan to set up a permanent and independent trade and agriculture commission that would scrutinise all trade deals and report to parliament before they can be signed.
  • TheBigBean
    Barnier scored some cheap political points yesterday by laughing at UK deadlines.
  • john80

Cummings is going to sell out the farmers. Kind of proves my point about Boris not being a Tory as standing up to the NFU is about the most un-tory thing you can do

In a hardline stance, Dominic Cummings, Boris Johnson’s chief adviser, has instructed ministers not to make concessions when the government’s controversial agriculture bill returns to the Commons next Monday. The bill was amended in the House of Lords to include a requirement that food products imported under future trade deals meet or exceed UK domestic standards.

Peers also passed a plan to set up a permanent and independent trade and agriculture commission that would scrutinise all trade deals and report to parliament before they can be signed.

I went and read the bill and the proposed amendments. There is no sell out as the UKs import food standards remain the same. To lower the standards would require a future change of the law. The main aim of the bill is to transfer the EU functions such as subsidies so that they can continue. This is a big over reaction by the miss informed and a clear power grab by those with a very specific agenda. Anyone remember the horse meat scandal that was entirely EU created or seen a danish pig farm.
  • tailwindhome
    Deal day.

Here we go.

• Deal day.

Here we go.

Exciting isn’t it, in less than 12 hours we will have a deal or will have walked away

The sh1te nature of the possible deal makes it less exciting as it is more of a ledge than a cliff edge but still exciting.

Still 2.5 months to figure out the implications, make a plan and implement on the face of it seems impossible but they have had 4 years to plan so maybe all they need to do is flick a switch and the well oiled machine will spring into action.
  • TheBigBean

Deal day.

Here we go.

Boris is thinking about it for 48 hours. EU is rumoured to be releasing a statement that the UK needs to move in the negotiations. Frost thinks it might be worth another two weeks.
  • this time, he really means it, honest, not backing down.
  • john80 said:

Cummings is going to sell out the farmers. Kind of proves my point about Boris not being a Tory as standing up to the NFU is about the most un-tory thing you can do

I went and read the bill and the proposed amendments. There is no sell out as the UKs import food standards remain the same. To lower the standards would require a future change of the law. The main aim of the bill is to transfer the EU functions such as subsidies so that they can continue. This is a big over reaction by the miss informed and a clear power grab by those with a very specific agenda. Anyone remember the horse meat scandal that was entirely EU created or seen a danish pig farm.
    You should let the HoL and NFU know.

FWIW I have always said that access to better and cheaper food should be one of the few benefits of Brexit, I just never thought the NFU would allow it.
  • TheBigBean
    Fishing getting in the way again.