BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    mrb123 said:

Boris to say no way to any further Scottish independence referendum.
    Wee Jimmy presses on regardless.
    We end up with a Catalonia style situation with all the SNP top brass locked up for sedition.
    Sturgeon and Salmond both behind bars for Christmas 2020 (obviously for different reasons)

😂😂
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    There won't be a second independence referendum any time soon. She'll ask for one, he will say no, and they will spend the next 5 years complaining about it until the next GE. Having an unofficial referendum would be very bad for them on several fronts, one is that unionists will boycott it, and the other is that if unionists did turn out they probably wont win it. They are much better off waiting until they are allowed a proper one, and in the meantime spending 5 years trying to make their case again.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,846
    Just FYI she has already ruled out an unofficial referendum so it will be 5 years of whinging.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    shortfall said:

that doesn't work - why would Boris be knocking on the door he is on the inside of and why would Corbyn (haha spellcheck tries to change corbyn to corncob!) answer it if he is on the outside?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,654
    mr_goo said:

Stevo_666 said:

Presumably the SNP vote means Scotland ref is on the cards.

I dont think Boris has any need to give Wee Jimmy Krankie another 'once in a generation' independence vote less than 5 years after the last one. Scotland is coming with us...
    I'd actually like to see a UK wide referendum on Scottish independence.
    The union is like an old stale marriage where one partner is the fit and healthy main bread winner and the other suffers from alcoholism and type 2 diabetes. I know what I'd do in that situation.
    More like one where a partner has been used and abused and you now want to throw them aside as they're not as attractive. A large part of the countries industrial wealth was built on the natural resources of Scotland and Wales and more recently from the revenue of Scottish oil fields. Now they can't give you what you want anymore you'd like to cast them aside, why am I not surprised?

I'm not convinced that the financial powerhouse of Dorset contributes much to the UK's GDP so maybe we should cut them loose too? They can get by on income from offshore wind farms.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,654
    The FPTP system really does throw up odd results. In 2017 the Tories increased vote share to their highest since 1983 but lost seats, this time a 1% increase in share gives them massive gains, Lib Dem increase vote share from 8% to 12% but lose a seat and the Greens lose their seat with an increase in share. I can understand the SNP discrepancy between vote share and seats as their vote is so concentrated.

That said PR is a bit of a chicken and egg thing as I don't think our current party system is set up well for coalition Governments. Even on these results the Tories might have struggled to get a working coalition together but long term it would probably bring a wider spectrum of smaller parties.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,667
    mrb123 said:

Boris to say no way to any further Scottish independence referendum.
    Wee Jimmy presses on regardless.
    We end up with a Catalonia style situation with all the SNP top brass locked up for sedition.
    Sturgeon and Salmond both behind bars for Christmas 2020 (obviously for different reasons)

Yep, we need to follow the European model on that one >:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681

Chuka put up a better fight than I expected, but still lost.

Lost by 4,000 with labour taking 11,000.

Next door, Emma Dent Coad lost by 120, with lib Dems taking 9,000.

If only there had been some way of predicting this kind of thing could happen.
    LD voters were disaffected Tories. Labour voters were similar to last time.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    I'm guessing there won't be a second referendum now?

Glad to see Corbyn lose but can't get enthusiastic about Boris the Clown being our PM.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • Pross said:

mr_goo said:

Stevo_666 said:

I dont think Boris has any need to give Wee Jimmy Krankie another 'once in a generation' independence vote less than 5 years after the last one. Scotland is coming with us...
    The union is like an old stale marriage where one partner is the fit and healthy main bread winner and the other suffers from alcoholism and type 2 diabetes. I know what I'd do in that situation.
    More like one where a partner has been used and abused and you now want to throw them aside as they're not as attractive. A large part of the countries industrial wealth was built on the natural resources of Scotland and Wales and more recently from the revenue of Scottish oil fields. Now they can't give you what you want anymore you'd like to cast them aside, why am I not surprised?

I'm not convinced that the financial powerhouse of Dorset contributes much to the UK's GDP so maybe we should cut them loose too? They can get by on income from offshore wind farms.
    If there is one thing we have learnt in the last 3.5 years it is that net recipients want to cut away other net recipients. To me that makes more sense than the fact that many second generation immigrants are tougher on immigration than others.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    As mentioned above, a 1.2% increase in the tory vote has resulted in a majority of almost 80. Incredible. The Labour party made themselves pretty much unelectable.

I do wonder about those in traditional labour communities who switched to the Tories. Turkey's voting for Christmas springs to mind.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    Longshot said:

No chance.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

As mentioned above, a 1.2% increase in the tory vote has resulted in a majority of almost 80. Incredible. The Labour party made themselves pretty much unelectable.

I do wonder about those in traditional labour communities who switched to the Tories. Turkey's voting for Christmas springs to mind.

Still heartwarming seeing people clinging onto 'the electorate are stupid and we know better' line.
  • Longshot
    Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

No chance.
    There was a large chunk of tongue in cheek in my comment!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,794
    Don’t understand the “now we will have a soft Brexit” analysis.

Surely it’s the opposite.
  • Stevo_666
    Longshot said:

Stevo_666 said:

Longshot said:

No chance.
    There was a large chunk of tongue in cheek in my comment!
    Sorry, I thought you maybe hadn't had enough coffee yet this morning :) Clearly I need more coffee...
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Pross said:

mr_goo said:

Stevo_666 said:

But it isn't England actively campaigning to have Scotland break away, it is the other way round.
  • Longshot

Pross said:

mr_goo said:

Stevo_666 said:

But it isn't England actively campaigning to have Scotland break away, it is the other way round.

But, frankly, I've always been for Scottish Independence just because I wouldn't have to keep listening to Jimmy Krankie keep bleating on about it.
  • All this talk of Scottish independence raises the old question of why the Darien scheme is not taught in schools
  • Don’t understand the “now we will have a soft Brexit” analysis.

It's based on Johnson not caring really, and accepting whatever is easiest to get from the EU and selling it as leaving because he doesn't need the headbangers. I did hear someone from the Conservatives saying earlier today that after 31st Jan we will have left, so Brexit will have been delivered whatever comes afterwards.

Probably misguided but possible.
  • rick_chasey
    I haven’t paid close attention to the headbangers who are left in but I thought all the grown ups had left and all that remained were headbangers or people who are happy to go along with them.
  • I haven’t paid close attention to the headbangers who are left in but I thought all the grown ups had left and all that remained were headbangers or people who are happy to go along with them.

This is true, but the hope is that the "go with the flow" people have no principles, and also Johnson has no principles. It's all great.

Unfortunately, it ignores the fact that since they have no principles, they'll probably just crash us out and blame Europe for the mess.
  • Stevo_666
    Longshot said:

Pross said:

mr_goo said:

Stevo_666 said:

But, frankly, I've always been for Scottish Independence just because I wouldn't have to keep listening to Jimmy Krankie keep bleating on about it.
    That's a good enough reason.
  • rick_chasey
    The logic for Scottish separation from U.K. is very close to Brexit logic.
  • Longshot

Indeed and I've always found that confusing given the SNP position on the 2 issues. Dislike of the English is powerful.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Of course the Nats get very upset if you say it, but I've always thought the distance between Sturgeon and Farage is not that great. Nationalism has the same ugliness just under the surface whatever the superficial differences.
  • rick_chasey

Of course the Nats get very upset if you say it, but I've always thought the distance between Sturgeon and Farage is not that great. Nationalism has the same ugliness just under the surface whatever the superficial differences.
    She doesn’t necessarily come with the xenophobic tendencies however. Which is quite a big difference.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,745

Don’t understand the “now we will have a soft Brexit” analysis.

You can only judge Johnson by his actions as his words are all over the place. When it came down to it he didn't take us out without a deal. He's also not beholden to the headbangers anymore. But who knows? He's told so many lies nobody knows where his true beliefs lie.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

She doesn’t necessarily come with the xenophobic tendencies however. Which is quite a big difference.

Have you ever tried being English in Scotland? Like I said, superficially it's different, but underneath, xenophobia of one sort or another is the defining feature of nationalism.