BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    If you want the Brexit angle, Gove is considered to be someone who is pushing for a deal...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    Would fit with what Dr Anna Jerzewska has been posting (has been giving evidence on this to Select Committee).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    Kent voted overwhelmingly for Leave, so I have to say, that particular conundrum leaves me (pun intended) quite relaxed.

• rick_chasey
    lol at kent, with the residents of Canterbury excepted.

All voted Tory. Whole area voted Brexit.

• rjsterry
    If Ianucci had written an episode of the Thick of It including this, people might have accused him of stretching credulity, but here we are with a minister confirming an ANPR enforced a border for truckers around Kent.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• The fact that we have inflicted this upon ourselves and there will still be various factions urging Boris on to do his worse is quite funny in it's own way.

I have said before and I will say again that I doubt anybody can accurately model the effects of leaving the SM. I think we will get weekly surprises for the next year as it gradually dawns on all of us just what a significant part of our lives that it had become.
  • If you want the Brexit angle, Gove is considered to be someone who is pushing for a deal...

is that a new thing since his day job became assessing and mitigating the impact of leaving the SM/CU?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    Funny that, I live in Kent in an area that voted 52% remain. There's no panic here.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    edited September 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Funny that, I live in Kent in an area that voted 52% remain. There's no panic here.

It certainly is. You'll be conscripted for border patrols. Hiviz and clipboard at the ready 😁.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666 said:

In fairness the point is to keep lorries out of Kent.

It is funny though.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640

The fact that we have inflicted this upon ourselves and there will still be various factions urging Boris on to do his worse is quite funny in it's own way.

I have said before and I will say again that I doubt anybody can accurately model the effects of leaving the SM. I think we will get weekly surprises for the next year as it gradually dawns on all of us just what a significant part of our lives that it had become.

Haven't you argued the opposite quite a lot?
  • Stevo_666

I have said before and I will say again that I doubt anybody can accurately model the effects of leaving the SM.

Quoted for posterity. Thanks for conceding the point after so long a time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The fact that we have inflicted this upon ourselves and there will still be various factions urging Boris on to do his worse is quite funny in it's own way.

You have not got the hang of selective quoting, you are meant to delete the qualifying half of the sentence.
  • Stevo_666 said:

I have said before and I will say again that I doubt anybody can accurately model the effects of leaving the SM.

TBB - that is how you are meant to selectively quote
  • TheBigBean

The fact that we have inflicted this upon ourselves and there will still be various factions urging Boris on to do his worse is quite funny in it's own way.

You have not got the hang of selective quoting, you are meant to delete the qualifying half of the sentence.
    Which bit is that?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

TBB - that is how you are meant to selectively quote
    Same question as BB just asked - which bit of your post above is meant to qualify the bit I quoted?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Meets the "taking control of our borders" criterium! 🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Meets the "taking control of our borders" criterium! 🤣🤣🤣

is that government sponsorship of a circuit race around Thanet?
  • Would it mean any lorry delivering to Kent would need a special permit?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799

Would it mean any lorry delivering to Kent would need a special permit?

Future delivery costs.
    "Free to mainland UK, with the exception of the Scottish Highlands, and Kent". 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Hopefully supply and demand will realign quite quickly. Could be bad news for dutch cut flowers, but hey-ho.
  • TheBigBean
    Far better that truckers queue up on a motorway for days with no facilities, than a virtual queue?
  • rick_chasey
    edited September 2020

Far better that truckers queue up on a motorway for days with no facilities, than a virtual queue?
    It's all relative. I think the point is you don't want the queue...