BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,723

Like old times in here.

In that spirit, Nissan is not going to close its Sunderland plant.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,759

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Well, they could go for no deal today and give businesses 6 months to transition.
    Or they could huff and puff for 6 months and come straight out with no deal.

The deadline is June 30th, so yes there will be 6 months to prepare for whatever
    Ah! Okay, so negotiations finish on 30th June? I thought it was 31st December.
    Certainly looked that way from the progress...
    No deal looking more certain in that case.
    it will take 6 months to get the legislation through the different national parliaments so end of June is when you give up, conclude a deal or ask for an extension.

As I say we do not act like somebody who wants a deal.
    I think a bare bones trade deal can be done by the commission without the requirement for national parliaments. As bells and whistles are added, it requires national parliaments. This is one of the reasons the UK doesn't want one agreement to cover everything.
    So what was it about every single other trade deal that took years to agree?
    The EU was the common factor in all of those...
    And?
    It could have impacted the time taken to get deals done.
    But this is a deal with the EU?
    OK, let me spell this out more simply: all of the other FTAs that the EU have been party to have taken a long time. It is not necessarily the complexity of the deal, it is the nature of the EU itself that has contributed to the long timescales.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Well, they could go for no deal today and give businesses 6 months to transition.

The deadline is June 30th, so yes there will be 6 months to prepare for whatever
    it will take 6 months to get the legislation through the different national parliaments so end of June is when you give up, conclude a deal or ask for an extension.

I think a bare bones trade deal can be done by the commission without the requirement for national parliaments. As bells and whistles are added, it requires national parliaments. This is one of the reasons the UK doesn't want one agreement to cover everything.
    And?
    OK, let me spell this out more simply: all of the other FTAs that the EU have been party to have taken a long time. It is not necessarily the complexity of the deal, it is the nature of the EU itself that has contributed to the long timescales.
    are you arguing that we are not negotiating with the EU or that we are not negotiating an FTA?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    are you arguing that we are not negotiating with the EU or that we are not negotiating an FTA?
    Neither.

Still confused? I am saying it might take a long to agree stuff with the EU because of who they are. Not sure I can put it much more simply than that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

Still confused? I am saying it might take a long to agree stuff with the EU because of who they are. Not sure I can put it much more simply than that.
    I think I get it.

We still have time to do a trade deal because the other trade deals which took several were with the EU and as we are doing a trade deal with the EU then there is no reason why it should take several years
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158

Like old times in here.

In that spirit, Nissan is not going to close its Sunderland plant.
    All those stupid car workers who voted for Brexit :smiley:

Isn't that how it goes? :wink:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,358
    That's excellent news.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

We still have time to do a trade deal because the other trade deals which took several were with the EU and as we are doing a trade deal with the EU then there is no reason why it should take several years
    Not really.

A basic trade deal should be do-able by year end between two countries, but is less likely to be do-able in that time frame with the EU.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,918
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

Not really.

A basic trade deal should be do-able by year end between two countries, but is less likely to be do-able in that time frame with the EU.
    No one who knows about trade deals and has experience says that is possible.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

Not really.

Not with the EU, that's for sure.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,915

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

Not really.

It is however, the perfect strategy for no deal.
    They get to blame Johnny Foreigner. To those who believe them.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

Not really.

Although deals between 2 sovereign nations have been signed 6 months from starting. And some others within a few months more (as we are not right at the start).
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

Not really.

Although deals between 2 sovereign nations have been signed 6 months from starting. And some others within a few months more (as we are not right at the start).
    Are you suggesting that we do a deal directly with EU members who want to keep unhindered access to the UK market?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

Not really.

Are you suggesting that we do a deal directly with EU members who want to keep unhindered access to the UK market?
    No.
  • kingstongraham
    Not bothering here much, but is the argument that
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

Not really.

That's the end of the discussion then?
  • surrey_commuter

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

Not really.

Have you not followed?

We don’t need several years to do a FTA with the EU because they can be done a lot quicker, the only ones that take several years all involve the EU, as we are negotiating with the EU it does not have to take several years.
  • kingstongraham

• spatt77
    spatt77 Posts: 324
    Hi, a "no deal" deal scenario , although bad for both sides is not the worst case scenario for the EU,that would be a UK that prospers outside of the EU. therefore the EU has to try and keep some kinda control of the UK. this is understandable but hardly tenable from a UK point of view! The EU has often said their can be no "cherry picking" of the good bits of EU membership but then asks for exactly the same access to UK fishing waters as they currently have, a somewhat hypocritical viewpoint. If one is to assume the UK can not "cherry pick" the good points of EU membership then it should be safe to assume that the EU cannot "cherry pick" the good points of UK`s membership of the EU, EG, fishing, security and Defence. Im sure their is a deal to be done, and i expect the "real" negotiations to start in July provided the UK stick to their guns and do not extend the transition period. A FTA with the EU would mean trade wouldn't be disrupted to greatly but then the UK would be trading the same if not better without having to accept the 4 freedoms!. This is probably a major sticking point for the EU which I don`t imagine they will accept. I`m nearly 50 years old and have lived and worked in the EU for quite a few years, Im no "Little Englander" but don`t think the EU has gone in the right direction.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2020
    spatt77 said:

Hi, a "no deal" deal scenario , although bad for both sides is not the worst case scenario for the EU,that would be a UK that prospers outside of the EU. therefore the EU has to try and keep some kinda control of the UK. this is understandable but hardly tenable from a UK point of view! The EU has often said their can be no "cherry picking" of the good bits of EU membership but then asks for exactly the same access to UK fishing waters as they currently have, a somewhat hypocritical viewpoint. If one is to assume the UK can not "cherry pick" the good points of EU membership then it should be safe to assume that the EU cannot "cherry pick" the good points of UK`s membership of the EU, EG, fishing, security and Defence. Im sure their is a deal to be done, and i expect the "real" negotiations to start in July provided the UK stick to their guns and do not extend the transition period. A FTA with the EU would mean trade wouldn't be disrupted to greatly but then the UK would be trading the same if not better without having to accept the 4 freedoms!. This is probably a major sticking point for the EU which I don`t imagine they will accept. I`m nearly 50 years old and have lived and worked in the EU for quite a few years, Im no "Little Englander" but don`t think the EU has gone in the right direction.

Geopolitics means EU can strong arm the U.K. into an unfavourable sitch for the U.K.

Geopolitics is not charity, it is not fair and the big boys usually win.

Of course if the EU doesn’t want to show leaving is advantageous as it will be an existential problem for the remaining union.

This fairly basic stuff.
  • pblakeney

spatt77 said:

Geopolitics means EU can strong arm the U.K. into an unfavourable sitch for the U.K.

Geopolitics is not charity, it is not fair and the big boys usually win.

Of course if the EU doesn’t want to show leaving is advantageous as it will be an existential problem for the remaining union.

This fairly basic stuff.
    It was known 4 years ago too.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    Our relationship with the EU is already very well developed. It doesn’t seem to me to be very hard to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed.
  • pblakeney
    Simply revoke A50 and keep that deal then.
    Very rapid.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter

Our relationship with the EU is already very well developed. It doesn’t seem to me to be very hard to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed.

The problem is that every other FTA in history has involved two economies converging. An FTA between two parties intent on diverging presents a whole new set of problems.
  • surrey_commuter
    spatt77 said:

80% of our economy is services, no FTA in history has covered services, this is why Maggie was such a driving force behind the Single Market. You are deluding yourself if you think our trade will be the same or better. By definition leaving the EU means that our trading terms will be worse.

There is no economic argument for leaving the EU. Nobody has ever attempted to make one so don’t kid yourself we will be no worse off.

Boris “fvck business” Johnson believes in the primacy of the State. If you don’t believe that the Govt can drive the economy then you voted for the wrong party.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

Not really.

Have you not followed?

We don’t need several years to do a FTA with the EU because they can be done a lot quicker, the only ones that take several years all involve the EU, as we are negotiating with the EU it does not have to take several years.
    Not sure if you're pretending not to understand.

I'll give it one last go. Tell me what part of 'the EU takes a long time to negotiate free trade agreements' isn't clear to you.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

And?
    Neither.

I think I get it.

Not really.

Have you not followed?

Not sure if you're pretending not to understand.

I'll give it one last go. Tell me what part of 'the EU takes a long time to negotiate free trade agreements' isn't clear to you.
    Right. And this is one of those.
  • kingstongraham

The problem is that every other FTA in history has involved two economies converging. An FTA between two parties intent on diverging presents a whole new set of problems.
    Sorry, should have said - who said this? "Our relationship with the EU is already very well developed. It doesn’t seem to me to be very hard to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed."
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Sounds like the EU might not be that confident they have a competitive market place if they cant handle all those little Englanders diverging from them. The fact the EU cant do a deal with a currently compliant nation kind of tells you all you need to know about the EUs confidence in its offering.
  • surrey_commuter

Sorry, should have said - who said this? "Our relationship with the EU is already very well developed. It doesn’t seem to me to be very hard to do a free trade deal very rapidly indeed."
    Every FTA ever struck has assumed the parties are converging. How do you structure a deal when one side is insistent upon divergence?