2015 Giro Stage 5 **Spoilers**

124»

Comments

• RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Bit of a re-hash but an impressive fact from Alexandre Mignot all the same.

Whenever Contador has taken the Leaders jersey in GC no-one has ever taken it from him. Wonder if he'll manage that in 2015?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    smithy21 wrote:
    9 to 5 work should be banned during the Giro.

FTFY and me and everyone else unable to watch it live :evil:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

Four day weekend starts tonight! May is great in France (holiday wise).
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    smithy21 wrote:
    4pm meetings should be banned during the Giro.

This.
    inseine wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    smithy21 wrote:

Four day weekend starts tonight! May is great in France (holiday wise).

Four day weekend here too! :D

And yes, those shoes of Berts are dreadful.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • so Contador didn't want to take the Maglia Rosa too early...?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Quality race on our hands here.

That moment when Porte and Aru pulled Contador back could be massive in the scheme of things. Aru has the best team, Contador is probably the best climber and Porte probably has the best TT. Game on.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Tutti pazzi per Pirazzi :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    LeePaton wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Uran, secretly makes up quite a chunk of time...

To who? The big three left him for dead and put more time In...

Get over your bias and have another look
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    ddraver wrote:
    LeePaton wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Uran, secretly makes up quite a chunk of time...

To who? The big three left him for dead and put more time In...

Get over your bias and have another look

Lee, at one point the Uran group was about 50 secs down, they pegged it back to 22 seconds. Yes Uran lost time overall, but it could have been a lot worse.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ex-sprinter Mario Cipollini made waves Wednesday when he suggested during the post-stage RAI TV broadcast that riders shouldn’t change their bikes mid-stage ahead of key mountaintop finales.

Why? Cipollini suggested that it’s “bad for the image of cycling, because people think there’s a motor in it.”

Alberto Contador (Tinkoff-Saxo) just laughed off that line, especially since he was the target of Cipollini’s barb. With about 35km to go, Contador eased off the roadway for a planned bike change ahead of the Giro’s first major mountaintop finish.

“There are a lot of reasons to change a bike. Like tubulars, which [may] not be able to be raced for 200km, but they can last for 30km or 40km,” said Contador, before joking. “My bikes don’t have one motor. They have five. And this talk of motors? That’s a joke, that’s something from science fiction.”

Contador also took offense to Cipollini’s suggestion, insisting that changing bikes should be viewed as a positive reflection of the sport’s ever-growing specialization and technical advances.

“I think it’s wrong to say that bike changes are not good for the sport,” Contador said. “It’s the contrary, it should be viewed as a good thing, that we use different materials and bikes for different situations.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Good to see Berti 'at the front' of technological advances as usual.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Just caught up on the tail end of that having missed it yesterday afternoon.

Livened up at the end although all of the big 3 looked pretty comfortable.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    What's all this about Richie Porte sleeping in a motorhome?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    curium wrote:

It's to keep him away from the Toblerone.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • What a great start to a GT. Surely even the grumps on here wouldn't begrudge this one a decent 7.5/10 so far?
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • ddraver
    Depends what Scale you re using, on the iain scale I'd say, given that there have been no alien attacks or asteroid impacts it probably only warrants a 5.5
    - @ddraver
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    curium wrote:

It's to keep him away from the Toblerone.
    Oleg is not amused :lol:

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    curium wrote:

It's acclimatization for the isloation he'll experience at the end of serious stages. Looks like Kerrison has engineered a 2013-vintage GC squad. Astana are wiping the floor with Team Ideal Homes Show.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Macaloon wrote:
    curium wrote:

It's acclimatization for the isloation he'll experience at the end of serious stages. Looks like Kerrison has engineered a 2013-vintage GC squad. Astana are wiping the floor with Team Ideal Homes Show.
    Teams will be needed in the third week, not the first. At the moment the contenders are content not to lose time until the time trial.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Do Astana have a new DS? I ve been impressed with some of their tactical astuteness so far. They ve morphed the Mountain Train into a sort of Mountain Sprint train for Aru to launch from
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    The testers should be all over Astana like a rash right now. They're demolishing the Sky and Saxo teams like they're a bunch of 2nd Cats in an Elite race. With Astana's recent record I for one am highly sceptical and need convincing this isn't additionally fuelled. :shock:

Bertie's bike changes, and the other bike changes we've seen in hilly TTs recent feel to me they go against the spirit of things - pick a bike and aim to ride it for the whole stage feels right to me.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    He'll stop changing bikes when his competitor's teams use it as an excuse to go hard at the front. Hopefully it will happen soon as i kind of agree it seems a bit off, especially when he does it for a climb that's not that hard. Fair enough for the Zoncolon or Numburnholme Hill
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago