Weightloss

1235»

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I find a really good cold tends to set me back. For some reason it makes me crave all sorts of sh*te. That and DIY where the temptation for a cup of tea and biscuits every few minutes runs high.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    diy wrote:
    I find a really good cold tends to set me back. For some reason it makes me crave all sorts of sh*te. That and DIY where the temptation for a cup of tea and biscuits every few minutes runs high.
    Yep, I've had a bad cold that has lingered for weeks now and as you say, it tends to influence me towards eating more. And eat worse too.
  • bobones wrote:

Anyway, I don't want to preach: I'm just relating what works for me.

Just how obese were you before starting your weightloss?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    So getting out in the morning cycling requires a 5.45 start.

Unfortunatly thats exactly what I have to do to get an early ride in before work.

If the lad is walking to school then I'm fine to get up at 5.45, out at 6.15, 90 minute ride (35km) and be back home for 7.45 to shower and leave around 8.30 for work.

It's when it gets to grim weather and we (several parents) take turns at ferrying the collective kids to school on our way to work that I struggle to get out.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614

Unfortunatly thats exactly what I have to do to get an early ride in before work.

If the lad is walking to school then I'm fine to get up at 5.45, out at 6.15, 90 minute ride (35km) and be back home for 7.45 to shower and leave around 8.30 for work.

It's when it gets to grim weather and we (several parents) take turns at ferrying the collective kids to school on our way to work that I struggle to get out.

That's fairly decent if you can get a 90 minute ride out of that. For me it's like 30 minutes before I have to be back so I can get to work.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    bobones wrote:

Anyway, I don't want to preach: I'm just relating what works for me.

Just how obese were you before starting your weightloss?

I was 13 st @ 5'11" slim build on March 25th. Now I am 11 st. I was stable around the 11.5 stone mark from my first weight loss effort in May 2012 until it started to creep up last summer, but then I piled on the pounds over the winter from not doing any turbo and not getting out on the bike enough. I also chucked smoking last March so that may have contributed and putting on weight last year. I have stopped counting calories now since reaching my goal weight of 11 st last week, but I am still cycling just as much so I might continue to lose a bit more. To be honest I am starting to look a bit thin around the face and neck, but there is still a bit of blubber round the belly that could go!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060

That's fairly decent if you can get a 90 minute ride out of that. For me it's like 30 minutes before I have to be back so I can get to work.
    Likewise
    I wouldn't mind getting up at 5:45 if I could do a 90 minute ride (although I might wait til 6 and do 75mins instead ;)) but I need to be in work an hour away at 8:30 not leaving the house so I'd be getting up at 5:45 for a 30 minute ride which doesn't seem worth it.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    Amazing.

It's official - I actually fit in a small size for Assos and previously I thought I was doing well to get in a medium. The winter kit is on offer and I thought I'd treat myself and the sizing chart indicated small which made me think it was worth a punt as I'm still losing weight and the weekly mileage is climbing with the online place has a 90 day no quibble return.

Well chuffed especially as they only had small in the colour I wanted!!
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • framness
    framness Posts: 7
    I weigh daily (upon waking and after...) maybe even more than that (I try to weigh myself first thing after completing a ride). The key thing is to understand such measurements are going to be noisy. Your lows are not going to stick and if you are trying to lose then your highs are also going to be blips. The overall trend over a few weeks or months is what you are looking for, that is agreed on. However, when my daily weigh-in (most likely a post ride weigh in) registers a new low, I'm jazzed about it!

Agree that 2 pound/week is very aggressive. I suggest 1 pound per week. Given what the OP reports I would be concerned their base metabolic rate is going to slow down making it harder to lose weight.

bobmcstuff wrote:
    You absolutely do need to eat more for exercise particularly straight afterwards if you're trying to run a big deficit.

That's true. However there is a big difference to what I used to do which was get in from a ride at lunchtime, then have a massive lunch, and then spend the rest of the day grazing, didn't lose anything that way.

So instead now I have an omelette and some toast and that does me nicely until quite a bit later in the day.

2lb a week is possible but ambitious, even aiming for 1.5lb per week would be better.

My main tip is weigh yourself every morning at the same time, there's lots of day to day variation but the main purpose is that it keeps your mind focused on the task in hand.
    Well no it doesn't, bodyweight fluctuates daily, a weekly or fortnightly trend is ultimately better and a more realistic timeframe to observe loss.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    my weight can fluctuate anything up to 2kg in a 24 hour period. Monday nights after a day of fasting and 2 hours of cardio tends to be up to 2kg lighter that it would be on Sunday, when I've had a lots of takeway/meals out over the weekend and less exercise.

You can be 2lb down from not having drunk enough water that day.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    It's a journey and its dependant upon your personal aims and I always appreciated that the weight loss would slow as my mass reduced. I do appreciate the empty calories in some the crap I used to eat and drink which are no longer part of my intake except for a couple of burgers yesterday which apparently have zero protein according to my fitnesspal.

I'm aiming for 160lbs and then it's establishing if holding that weight is sustainable over the winter but I've got a training plan which seems coherent an well structured which kicks in from November and I'm buying winter kit ( turbo's bore me stupid) now as my intention is to road ride 10 hours a week which seems a great base but I'm also considering a coach just to ensure I get the results I'm after.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu