Top Gear back but without the Top Gear (ddraver)

1235»

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The point VTech is that the majority (I guess) do not watch it for factual content. Make it a factual show but put it on BBC2 on the Tuesday night and it ll do ok. But I, a hitherto big TG fan, won't be watching it.

The real figures mean nothing to me, I want something fun to wach with my tea son sunday night. The dullest bits are when they put the Lambogotti fasterosa around the track. I couldnt care less what the time is...

Why can't you have both ?
    Show what people want to see but tell them the truth, tell them if a car is good or bad but don't lie, there isn't any point surely ?
    You don't need to lie to make it funny, in fact it can be identical in content but instead of saying what they want to be the truth, they simply say it was good if the test driver said it was good and bad if he/she said it was bad.

You do know why JC was brought in don't you? When he just an irreverant Performance Car columnist! Because the factual car show that TG was had no audience!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    So much so that Clarkson bought the redundant TG brand with his colleague and made his fortune from it
    M.Rushton
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,390
    The point VTech is that the majority (I guess) do not watch it for factual content. Make it a factual show but put it on BBC2 on the Tuesday night and it ll do ok. But I, a hitherto big TG fan, won't be watching it.

The real figures mean nothing to me, I want something fun to wach with my tea son sunday night. The dullest bits are when they put the Lambogotti fasterosa around the track. I couldnt care less what the time is...

Why can't you have both ?
    Show what people want to see but tell them the truth, tell them if a car is good or bad but don't lie, there isn't any point surely ?
    You don't need to lie to make it funny, in fact it can be identical in content but instead of saying what they want to be the truth, they simply say it was good if the test driver said it was good and bad if he/she said it was bad.

You do know why JC was brought in don't you? When he just an irreverant Performance Car columnist! Because the factual car show that TG was had no audience!

That makes no sense. Clarkson was a presenter of the 90s 'factual' Top Gear.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    He did leave some years before the factual Top Gear was cancelled.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    The most crazy part of this long thread is the fact that some people think you need the lies to make it work ?
    I on the other hand think you can have the idiotic fun associated with the show of recent years and mix it with truthful facts about how the cars actually drive and still get the same results.

Does anyone actually really believe that the lies make the show better in any way ?
    Living MY dream.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    Does anyone actually really believe that the lies make the show better in any way ?
    Unfortunately a lot of people like to have their prejudices underlined. So if the programme confirms them they are happy.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    I don't know what lies he's on about really.

Is it a lie to google travel time to a ski resort or football stadium and then race to the one that is closest in terms of time taken for a Car and Public transport/light plane or whatever? Similarly is it a disaster that some of the passing shots are taken on the way back rather than on the way there? No, that's how making a TV show works

VTech will be complaining the the Shark didnt actually eat the boat in Jaws next...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • VTech
    I don't know what lies he's on about really.

Is it a lie to google travel time to a ski resort or football stadium and then race to the one that is closest in terms of time taken for a Car and Public transport/light plane or whatever? Similarly is it a disaster that some of the passing shots are taken on the way back rather than on the way there? No, that's how making a TV show works

VTech will be complaining the the Shark didnt actually eat the boat in Jaws next...

I understand how a TV show works, I've worked with editing teams for years and have just come back from one of the biggest car related pilot shows for many years so am a tad versed to how the system works and as you know, I have never had an issue with how the formats work.
    The issue I personally have is that if the Stig for example, says a car was awesome, that should be passed to the viewing public, instead they have on many occasions commented with views that were not even close to that of the Stig. Thats deception because it is not based on fact or opinion and simply made up.

Then you have the fact that they will comment on how a car drives having done a cross country or cross Europe, America, Asia event when in fact they never did the driving and were only at certain stages to make it look as if they were, giving the impression of being tired and worn when in fact helicopters and airplanes were used to ferry them around.

Its a format, I get that, and so do you. The problem is that you think it works better with the lies and deception and I feel that it wouldn't make it any worse if they simply told the truth.

I know of at least 2 people who purchased the BMW i8 on the back of the Top Gear report and they didn't end up with anything like that of the show review. If I had been asked instead I would of told them the truth and let them make their minds up accordingly.
    Living MY dream.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    That's really no different to one of us buying a Pinarello because it won the TdF or in my case buying drumkit X because drummer A plays one or a Gibson LP because Slash et al play one when in fact they get given them by the boxload or have them specially built. Buying a car because Clarkson says it's ok would imo mean you've too much money and/or you are v.gullible given that he's in the entertainment business not motor engineering and he prob. gets his cars for free or at a substantial discount
    M.Rushton
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Vtech if people are spending 6 figures on a car on the basis of a short Top Gear piece without doing their own research I think it's reasonable to suggest the fault doesn't lie with the program. Can you not see that? You admit yourself they should have asked someone in the know and I assumed it was widely known Top Gear hasn't been anything like a serious motoring show for a long while.
  • markhewitt1978
    That would be me getting my Fiesta and expecting to be able to drive at high speed inside a shopping centre to get away from baddies.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    VTech, I suspect that you ve struggled with this for a while but your confusing "VTech's opinion" with truth again

Same goes for The Stig or anyone else.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • VTech
    VTech, I suspect that you ve struggled with this for a while but your confusing "VTech's opinion" with truth again

Same goes for The Stig or anyone else.

Maybe.
    Living MY dream.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    That would be me getting my Fiesta and expecting to be able to drive at high speed inside a shopping centre to get away from baddies.

You can though can't you??? :lol::lol:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • markhewitt1978

You can though can't you??? :lol::lol:

Every morning on the way to work :D
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I agree with mr tech. I've no evidence that they contradict the findings of the experts or performance data, but if they do that's absurd! You might as well say the tour de France is ridden on steel bikes, or Chris hoy climbs better than nibali. Just ridiculous. And unfair to dig out vtech as arrogant for thinking it's wrong. And I would be hacked off if I were a manufacturer. That said I don't really care if the presenters don't drive the whole way across the Sahara - kind of assumed all those features were made up.
  • VTech
    I agree with mr tech. I've no evidence that they contradict the findings of the experts or performance data, but if they do that's absurd! You might as well say the tour de France is ridden on steel bikes, or Chris hoy climbs better than nibali. Just ridiculous. And unfair to dig out vtech as arrogant for thinking it's wrong. And I would be hacked off if I were a manufacturer. That said I don't really care if the presenters don't drive the whole way across the Sahara - kind of assumed all those features were made up.

Its why there was never a LaFerrari vs 918 vs P1 review because they are not to be trusted.

Im not anti JC entirely, after all, in his career he only ever gave 1 perfect review of a car and that was one that I built but in later years they made negatives just for the sake of it. Maybe because in truth, bad cars are not really made these days as it wouldn't be cost effective with social media, internet etc.
    Living MY dream.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Maybe because in truth, bad cars are not really made these days as it wouldn't be cost effective with social media, internet etc.
    Oh, I don't know.
    When we were touring New Zealand the hire company gave us a Nissan Tiida.
    Other than getting us from A to B, I cannot think of any other positive things to say about it.
    I could use a lorry load of expletives though.
    Nissan-Tiida.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • VTech
    The Tiida with the renault partnership, probably the most lethargic of cars ever built, ugly and plain but they are reliable and very cheap so it does fit a certain category.
    I would liken it to the Ford Ka which imo is an ugly piece of kit that although will get you from a-b it will do so in unearthly boredom. They sold like hot cakes though.
    Living MY dream.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,268
    that has all the charm of a pontiac aztek
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • VTech
    that has all the charm of a pontiac aztek

If its good enough for Walter, its good enough for me :mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,268
    but it was so bad it gave him cancer, thus leading to jesse's multiple bereavements and walt's ultimate demise
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • VTech
    but it was so bad it gave him cancer, thus leading to jesse's multiple bereavements and walt's ultimate demise

But he did fill 8 barrels full of $100 bills and make the best meth in the entire USA :shock:
    Living MY dream.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    bbc2 8pm tonight