Top Gear back but without the Top Gear (ddraver)

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,398
    Any media company worth it's salt would have been all over them in a flash. Sounds a bit like your friends weren't too on the ball...

Still doesnt mean it was planned
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    You'd have to assume Clarkson, May and Hammond could have a cunning plan in the background and literally no-one else involved would be capable of the same thing. Which would be a bit silly.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    ddraver wrote:
    Any media company worth it's salt would have been all over them in a flash. Sounds a bit like your friends weren't too on the ball...

Still doesnt mean it was planned

So you are confirming that you believe that a media company could sign, sort contracts and get filming and scripts ready within 4-6 weeks ?

Bearing in mind that JC and posse couldn't sign their BBC contract for over 6 months :shock: :shock: :shock:

And, to top it all off, they did this without having planned any of it prior to his sacking by the BBC.

Of course you will say yes and I have to accept that you honestly believe that. However......
    Living MY dream.
  • ddraver
    depends entirely on what they filmed. A whole TG episode? No. A single camera, "lets have a look and see if this idea might work as a new project"? Yes

Anyone in their situation would of course have ideas for projects, if nothing else for bits on Top Gear. As I ve said from day 1, they will be back as something. All the past few weeks have resulted in is that it won't be on the BBC and called "Top Gear" - which are probably the too least important parts of the package

You have been reduced to picking at threads and weaving them into something to support your own theory. The rest of us are looking at all the raw facts in entirety. The raw facts simply don't support your theory.
    - @ddraver
  • VTech
    ddraver wrote:
    depends entirely on what they filmed. A whole TG episode? No. A single camera, "lets have a look and see if this idea might work as a new project"? Yes

Anyone in their situation would have course have ideas for projects, if nothing else for bits on Top Gear. As I ve said from day 1, they will be back as something. All the past few weeks have resulted in is that it won't be on the BBC and called "Top Gear" - which are probably the too least important parts of the package

You have been reduced to picking at threads and weaving them into something to support your own theory. The rest of us are looking at all the raw facts in entirety. The raw facts simply don't support your theory.

You have failed to answer my points whilst at the same time suggesting that you are looking at facts.
    You need to confirm if you believe they were planning something outside of top gear whilst still employed by the BBC or not.
    That is the real question here. I would suggest that it would be impossible to get through the red tape of production (and I have a background in working with TV shows so its no guesswork) within a few weeks, venues have to be booked etc and drivers arranges, camera crews employees, insurance covered. It is not an easy process.
    Living MY dream.
  • ddraver
    I ve been very clear on your points. I don't see how I could be much more clear.

They would be fools not to be planning anything inside or outside of the BBC - and whatever you think of TG, none of them are fools. All 3 of them have done programs and shows outside of the BBC and the Top Gear umbrella. However, again (and again and again), this still does not mean that they planned to break their contract with the BBC by having Clarkson punch a producer.

edit - add to that that the people contracted to make TG suddenly found themselves at a loose end and had some time to spare. Further add that briefly mentioning that they are the team behind the most watched television program in the world (if that's still true) tends to make things happen a tad faster...
    - @ddraver
  • VTech
    http://www.entertainmentdaily.co.uk/is- ... _id=178873

This story isn't entirely true as Oysin was at that event which was not secret talks at all but simply an evening with friends. I have heard that Oysin is working on the new shows which makes for interesting news.
    Living MY dream.
  • ddraver
    Never has being called out gone quite so well for me I must say...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 65861.html
    “I have been listening [to broadcasters] on the telephone or video conference, I haven’t had a single meeting.”

He said he had only “listened” to US broadcasters about doing a programme, but had not entered into a discussion with them.
    - @ddraver
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    ddraver wrote:

“I have been listening [to broadcasters] on the telephone or video conference, I haven’t had a single meeting.”

He said he had only “listened” to US broadcasters about doing a programme, but had not entered into a discussion with them.

Also

"Clarkson admitted he had taken phone calls from broadcasters who wanted to poach the Top Gear team but said: "I'd be a fool to jump into something."
    "I have been at the BBC for 27 years. When you emerge after 27 years, you find the world is changed.
    "When you learn how the world works, you can start to work out what to do," he continued."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32819280
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    "When you learn how the world works, you can start to work out what to do," he continued."

I suspect he knows v.well how the broadcasting world works. He's no fool and he has enough colleagues/advisers to talk to about trends/fads in the industry and which way it's going. Prob can command a good fee for after dinner speaking and pa at motor show events.
    M.Rushton
  • VTech
    ddraver wrote:

But to accept that is to believe it.
    Read the exact words my friend, the truth is in those words (or not as is the case)
    Living MY dream.
  • ddraver
    grasping-at-straws.jpg
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,731
    Nah, listened to the chat between Clarkson and Evans on t'radio this morning, and my impression was Clarkson was telling porkies. Pinocchio's nose would have been stretching.
  • VTech
    orraloon wrote:
    Nah, listened to the chat between Clarkson and Evans on t'radio this morning, and my impression was Clarkson was telling porkies. Pinocchio's nose would have been stretching.

He has the next 5 years planned, no one at that level works without advisors.
    I don't expect some here to agree with that and thats fine but as I've said plenty of times, the winner will no doubt be the three of them.
    Living MY dream.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    orraloon wrote:
    Can you imagine him answering the question tho?

Evans - "So, who are you talking to Jeremy?"

Clarkson (for it is he) - "Well Netflix are keen to stick a few million in, ITV have sounded us out and so have C4, but between you me & the gatepost the BBC are actively looking for a tidy way of backtracking out of this mess without losing face, so we'll probably be back on BBC2 next Spring if all goes well. If not, Netflix is the likeliest"

Like yeah, as young people are prone to saying.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    b8b.png
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • ddraver
    Neither him nor I have covered ourselves in glory here Slowmart but given that I was called out very unnecessarily and have been insulted throughout the whole series of threads by the man that did so I'm not going to feel too sorry for dancing on this particular Grave.
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,752
    My reading between the lines of that interview was 'I haven't been talking to anyone but my agent has been talking to them constantly. I've just dropped in on the calls and video conferences to listen to the important parts of the discussions'.
  • VTech
    ddraver wrote:
    Neither him nor I have covered ourselves in glory here Slowmart but given that I was called out very unnecessarily and have been insulted throughout the whole series of threads by the man that did so I'm not going to feel too sorry for dancing on this particular Grave.

I hope you don't think that I have insulted you.
    That was never an intention, I was just pointing out the truth.
    JC has everything planned and as has been said above, his manager will wort out the details and not him, he simply signs the contract for the media company he owns making sure he rakes in the max profits.
    He was here in NY last week securing the Kenworth Trucks for one of his episodes, there are two of them being used for the show with International not wanting to play a part.

Of course this could be fake and as you have found so far, I'm yet to be found wrong on even a single part of this :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • mrushton
    Review of the show in the Inependent on Sunday (don't have the link). Clarkson making off-colour jokes, lots of tyre smoke, crowd goes crazy - business as usual!
    M.Rushton
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,731
    Just heard on t'radio news that Chris Evans is taking the lead presenter role.

Good. He has irreverent sense of humour without the clunkiness of the old duffer. And he knows his motors, John.

Jodie Kidd as co presenter?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,884
    Just heard on t'radio news that Chris Evans is taking the lead presenter role.

Good. He has irreverent sense of humour without the clunkiness of the old duffer. And he knows his motors, John.

Jodie Kidd as co presenter?

Ironically I see a crash coming
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I hope they have the sense not to get Jodie Kidd involved, she might be a car nut but she comes across as pretty monotone and undynamic as a presenter.
  • ddraver
    Godamit orraloon I was trying to let this thread die! ;)

Not sure about Evans, i think he'd be better host of a show that REALLY is about cars. I really really hope they don't try and recreate the atmosphere that C,H,M had becasue it'll just be cringeworthy, especially when they startup with whatever they end up doing next
    - @ddraver
  • mrushton
    for the BBC he is a great choice - an employee who already is known to the target audience for his car loves. He also understands the BBC ethos and for brand Evans it puts him back in TV production with a high value brand which may put him on a world wide stage whilst paying him v.well. Win/win there.
    M.Rushton
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,485
    The creative output for the BBC is top drawer and this is more about evolution of the format than anything and there will be massive pressure on senior management to get the formula right and make the transition successful.

The old presenter's were wringing a tired old format and while the existing three were massively popular they were a glass ceiling to the format evolving and while I'm an avid fan I found myself reading more than watching the last series.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,394
    for the BBC he is a great choice - an employee who already is known to the target audience for his car loves. He also understands the BBC ethos and for brand Evans it puts him back in TV production with a high value brand which may put him on a world wide stage whilst paying him v.well. Win/win there.

Kind of agree with that. The BBC could launch a weekly bellringing programme with Evans as presenter and it would secure significant viewing figures. Putting him up front of an already hugely successful programme can't fail in the short term. Heard something on the radio whilst driving into work saying that BBC had form in this respect insofar as Des Lynham's retirement was supposed to signal the end of MOTD and, reinvented in Linekers image, it has gone from strength to strength.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • mrushton
    it won't be 'Top Gear' in the old format but will retain elements. Evans has a lot of clout in the industry and will have all the facilities of the BBC incl. the TG production team (without Andy Wilman). Access to the motor industry is guaranteed and certainly Ferrari as Evans has a collection to envy. He knows TV and I think that 3 years will be enough to see if he can create a new style. If it fails - he tried. of course Jay Leno would have been good as well but poss. too expensive
    M.Rushton
  • ddraver
    The old presenter's were wringing a tired old format and while the existing three were massively popular they were a glass ceiling to the format evolving and while I'm an avid fan I found myself reading more than watching the last series.

True dat...
    - @ddraver
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Yup, as much as C&H&M were fantastic, they had run their course, that much was obvious for some time. So I'm looking forward to the refresh, a lot depends on who else is presenting of course.