My derosa idol disc is no more :-(

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited May 2015 in Road general
So after 6 weeks of ownership and 439 miles my derosa is no more :-(.. Was cleaning the bike after a ride when I noticed some paint cracked in a line... And on in closer inspection it's a crack! .. I've been in touch with the company I got it from and it's currently being sent back pics and emails have been sent to derosa! I'm not sure how long the wait is going to be but there going to issue a warranty frame replacement. But Im not happy with the bike being striped down and then the parts back on the new frame. So what the shop is doing is having the new frame and my old parts as a demo bike and sending me a complet new bike so that's more than fair. I'm shocked that it's gone to be honest and worried me that it's going to happen again!?

Here are some pics of the crack drive side rear chain stay
51CBC100-2121-41E5-BC6E-C91638852C85_zpsau1ecf7l.jpg

EA62163B-6E93-47E9-99A7-B8E2E593C34E_zpsntdklv9s.jpg
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Thats not good! Only had mine a couple of months and not ridden it much yet. I'll be keeping a close eye on it for the first few hundred miles. Hope it all gets sorted.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Shame about the frame but darn good service from the shop.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Name the shop, they've just made the shortlist for my preferred supplier.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Looking at this again, thats a really strange place for the break to occur. Although its weight bearing, you would have to put immense downwards force through it to make it snap. Did the shop say it was just a manufacturing defect?
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    What a shame about the frame, but these things happen.
    The bonus is how well you LBS has dealt with the situation.
    They should be named so others can use them

Matt
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Manufacturing or material defects are always going to occur and while modern processes are improving failure rates invariably you will always get a Friday afternoon bike slipping through.

It's only when things have gone pear shaped do you realise the true worth of a good and local bike shop.

Bravo to the shop and please share their name as they deserve credit for going the extra mile here to ensure your smiling.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • sigorman85
    Bike swanky is whi it's from and it's very nice of them they are top blokes even before this happened
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    not been on the turbo has it?
  • sigorman85
    No I haven't got one and I would rather go out in a bit of cold weather... But if it's that bad il have a rest day lol

• rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    nice to see the LBS stepping up to the plate fair play.....
  • sigorman85
    Six weeks in is bad and I'm guessing they feel the same

• sigorman85
    Slowmart wrote:
    Manufacturing or material defects are always going to occur and while modern processes are improving failure rates invariably you will always get a Friday afternoon bike slipping through.

It's only when things have gone pear shaped do you realise the true worth of a good and local bike shop.

Bravo to the shop and please share their name as they deserve credit for going the extra mile here to ensure your smiling.

https://bikeswanky.co.uk

• dodgy
    I can't be the only reading the name of that shop in an alternative way...

Good work BikeSwanky
  • sigorman85
    Lol or not so

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    dodgy wrote:
    I can't be the only reading the name of that shop in an alternative way...

You definately weren't. :oops:
  • sigorman85
    So it's been 4 weeks since I found the crack in the frame and they are sending it to de rosa! I'm absolutly spitting fire! I can't believe how long and frustrating this is! anyone else got any experience with a warranty job?

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    sigorman85 wrote:
    So it's been 4 weeks since I found the crack in the frame and they are sending it to de rosa! I'm absolutly spitting fire! I can't believe how long and frustrating this is! anyone else got any experience with a warranty job?

It's typical... warranty should mean peace of mind, but in practice only means you don't lose your investment... on balance I still steer clear of carbon frames for that very reason. The gain is hardly worth the hassle if it happens to you
    left the forum March 2023
  • dodgy
    I've never known anyone that has suffered a carbon frame failure. It remains something I read about on the Internet.
  • sigorman85
    Well it's a fact it has happend !

• dodgy
    sigorman85 wrote:

No doubt.

It doesn't change what I posted.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    edited April 2015
    It took Independent Fabrication around three months to get me a replacement ti frame.

In fairness to them it was made to measure and they're based in North America but the comms were great.

De Rosa probably want to understand why the failure occurred and four weeks isn't that bad IMHO. Why don't you establish war the nest steps are and the likely timeframe?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    dodgy wrote:
    sigorman85 wrote:

No doubt.

It doesn't change what I posted.

To be fair sigorman85 I think dodgy is responding more to our resident Captain Hindsight than your frame failure.

Make sure you get tracking numbers etc. from the shop when they despatch it to De Rosa; it is still your property after all.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    sigorman85 wrote:

Discovered a seat tube crack on a Canyon CF slx 29er, almost 2 years old, phoned them that day, emailed pics, following day was asked to give some seat tube and post diameters, 4 days later had a new up graded frame and set of bibs/jersey.
    Also, offered up to £120 for a LBS to move parts across, which i declined, as i can easily do it myself, they then sent me another set of clothing, cables, headset and new BB - bear in mind this is a mtb, that takes a beating, they made the whole process completely seamless, i even carried on using the bike (on road) until the new frame arrived.

It really pee's me off when shops etc are only too keen to take your money but then always refer back to the manufacturer when things go wrong, Derosa should just sent you a new frame and then have an inquest later at their cost.... this isnt the first time i ve heard of carbon disc frames cracking around the rear triangle, a friend has just had to sent back a Spesh frame for same reason and again, along wait :(
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Bikes are quite an interesting area. The contract is, of course, with the shop but the existence of the warranty clouds the issue somewhat. We're all too happy to let the expert bike maker have a look at our bikes and decide what happens next.

This, of course, is to be expected. The bike shop will, ultimately be indemnified against their own loss if the manufacturer says its a manufacturing defect. If they pay out to the customer (or exchange) and that doesn't go their way then they are out of pocket.

In effect they are using the warranty as their own guarantee. But, as has been alluded to on this thread and others, the warranty is simply the back up to the usual set of consumer rights.

The response by Canyon, above, is a good one. A very good one. Of course, in that example, there's no middle man to confuse the issue.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    DesWeller wrote:
    To be fair sigorman85 I think dodgy is responding more to our resident Captain Hindsight than your frame failure.

It is of course based on my experience: last year my carbon fork steerer cracked at the base. brought back to the retailer, who contacted Madison... Madison weren't particularly bothered or concerned and certainly did not rush into finding a replacement... they in fact said they did not have a replacement and were happy to offer 100 pounds as a compensation, as they said that was the value of the fork.
    Now, I challenge you to go on the web and buy a carbon fork with tapered steerer and mounts for disc brake with 100 pounds in the UK.

I ended up buying a Planet X one (alloy steerer this time) for 150 pounds... the cheapest on the market, so made a loss in the end.

I could have fought harder and for longer, but I needed a fork and 50 quid was a bearable loss.

Am I impressed with the all warranty system (or with carbon steerers for what matters)? Not really... would I take a punt on a carbon frame in the future based on that experience? Probably not, unless it is something really mainstream, like a Specialized Tarmac, or something equally ubiquitous and easy to replace, hopefully in a reasonable time frame.
  • sigorman85
    ive been told it's been sent?? But no tracking number but they said they will send me one on Monday??? Makes me think that it's still at Iride and they are sending out on Monday

• Dizeee
    Dizeee Posts: 337
    I am susprised to not to have read yet the usual responses of "well, what do you expect from a manafacturer who outsources to malaysia and uses cheap carbon moulds" etc etc.

A riding friend of mine had a De Rosa Merak and his frame had some sort of failure. Took an age to sort and eventually he ended up with a Super 8 frame.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    This is a warranty issue not a carbon issue, plenty of steel and aluminium frames have failed (I know, I've had one). An LBS can be stuck in the middle, I doubt many make a good enough profit to reimburse the customer regardless of whether or not the manufacturer later replaces under their warranty. Ofc this doesn't mean the shop has no obligations under the sale of goods atc etc but that's not what this is being sorted under. It's also a fact most companies invest far more on sales & marketing than they do on their warranty returns department so they're usually understaffed and with a backlog of work so stuff can take time to sort (there's also virtually no incentive for them to rush a replacement out in 1 week instead of 4).
    So whilst having to wait weeks for a warranty replacement sucks it's to be expected (and it's not unique to the cycling industry, I know people who have had their cars in garage for weeks with a warranty issue). Threads like this are still useful, checking out a manufacturer's rep for dealing with warranties is something I (and I assume many others) do before spending thousands on a bike but often how it rides and looks is more important (and so it should be, you'd have to be pretty pessimistic to mainly base your purchasing decision on the support you get if it breaks).
  • ugo.santalucia
    nferrar wrote:
    This is a warranty issue not a carbon issue, plenty of steel and aluminium frames have failed (I know, I've had one).

There seems to be more "manufacturing" issues on carbon, that tend to crop up early in the life of the frame, under warranty. Steel of course eventually will fail, but you will find that most problems crop up after many years of use and well outside warranty (hence manufacturing problems). Aluminium is kind of half way between the two.

Carbon fibre is a very good material, I am not convinced the in mold/monocoque method is as reliable as other methods of construction though
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    There seems to be more "manufacturing" issues on carbon, that tend to crop up early in the life of the frame, under warranty.

Got any stats to prove that?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}