Gent - Wevelgem *spoilers*

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    My eyes....
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Another good thing about NL is the 30% tax rule for overseas 'knowledge workers' not that I really mind paying tax, at least it seems to get used for good infrastructure and stuff here.

...and goes towards paying the fees for our daughters education in Maastricht, thank you ATC.
    Half man, Half bike
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Another good thing about NL is the 30% tax rule for overseas 'knowledge workers' not that I really mind paying tax, at least it seems to get used for good infrastructure and stuff here.

...and goes towards paying the fees for our daughters education in Maastricht, thank you ATC.

Hey if your daughter didn't want to study in NL - although Amsterdam is better than Maastricht :wink: - I wouldn't have a job!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Didn't enjoy today. It was just a who's the hardest comp for the final selection and I think the others lost it over Paolini winning it. Far from a classic.

Saying that happy for Paolini, good to see G standing up for himself got to be fav for RVV.

EQS need to sort a leader out fast.

Sep not looking good and Sagan might get knee capped at this rate.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    G played it well a week ahead of Flanders. He showed that he will not be used at the end. Next week if he is there then others will chase I'm sure. Yes he lost today but the big one today wasn't.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    This race had no right to be that good. Thrilling stuff. The cycling season truly ends with the spring classics.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited March 2015
    Didn't enjoy today. It was just a who's the hardest comp for the final selection and I think the others lost it over Paolini winning it. Far from a classic.

It's normally a sprinter's stage this. You do realise that, eh?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Apparently Wiggins asked the race director to neutralise the race

http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/1.2287560

'One of the best races ever', according to 1980s Flandrien Eddy Planckaert
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Sagan and Sep both look too bulky to me at the moment for whatever reason. They are running out of steam.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    And this is bad why...? Isn't that what you want? The riders who are strongest fighting it out at the front of the race? Sure the final few k's could have been more exciting but there was plenty of entertainment before that.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    deejay wrote:
    Quigley or whatever your name is, you are useless in Belgium.
    That was Ieper and they went through the Menin Gate, which for your information is the memorial with all the names of soldiers killed in World War One.
    It's not like the race literature for journos doesn't give them all that, or that the race calls itself "in Flanders Fields", maybe he's just some sort of peacenik.
    I'm sorry about my Rant but the brilliant Helicopter picture of them coming through the Menim Gate, did hit a nerve while listening to the waffle.
    It is a good picture of a town that was completely destroyed in 1914/1918 and completely rebuilt in the 1920's.
    r0bh wrote:
    Glad that Debusschere didn't feature seeing how he did nothing even after Roelandts was caught.
    Oh he did plenty, of sitting on "G's" wheel as he had seen the E3 race and was waiting for the "G" jump.
    That wheel sucking was seen by "G" whenever he looked round and he only went after Terpstra and that I'm glad to say, put paid to Jens Debusschere.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890

Saying that happy for Paolini, good to see G standing up for himself got to be fav for RVV.

EQS need to sort a leader out fast.

Sep not looking good and Sagan might get knee capped at this rate.

Utter nonsense, you obviously never watched Kelly.Hinault, Raas etc......what do you want all the team cars to drop them all off and race the final 5kms. Paolini is a smart rider and used his head today.great win I say.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It sounds like it was a great race.

I missed it because I was being a legend elsewhere

14scpja.jpg

I got voted man of the match solely on the basis of that save (we won 2-1)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,158
    Bad weekend for Whitchurch. 2nd in a hockey match, 3rd in a bike race. Lucky Bale upheld their honour!
  • RichN95.
    Pross wrote:
    Bad weekend for Whitchurch. 2nd in a hockey match, 3rd in a bike race. Lucky Bale upheld their honour!
    Bale actually did play hockey for them as a kid.

Also, in Wales, don't we count Friday afternoon as the weekend?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Inspired by Gee ad Paolini I MTFUd and went for an hours ride after the race. I cannot overstate how bad the conditions in BeNeLux are today. Bear in mind that I weigh north of 100kg, was on my own and was to the leeward of the dunes I was nearly blown off 4 or 5 times. Certainly I was pushed the whole width of the road

I'm starting to sound like Sagan's only fan but, again, it would be foolish to judge people's form too much on today, If someone let the wheel go in front of you, it would be a massive effort to get back on

I'm also going to say that Debusschere rode exactly the race he needed to today. He's only a baby classics rider after all...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    Is there a better domestique than Paolini?

Well deserved win for the man.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    ddraver wrote:
    I'm starting to sound like Sagan's only fan but, again, it would be foolish to judge people's form too much on today, If someone let the wheel go in front of you, it would be a massive effort to get back on

Is he not being judged on being consistently way below his level back in 2012/13?
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:

Is he not being judged on being consistently way below his level back in 2012/13?

I think this is the first year when the "he is only young, Sean Kelly didnt win his first classic until he was...etc" excuse doesnt cut it any more. He needs to start winning big things now. In reality all these discussions are meaningless if he wins next weekend or the one after...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:

The problem is that people think that all career progressions are equal.

Sagan was pretty much fully formed as a racer at 20 years old, but people project the standard progression on him. And that's wrong.
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

The problem is that people think that all career progressions are equal.

Sagan was pretty much fully formed as a racer at 20 years old, but people project the standard progression on him. And that's wrong.

DDraver - don't see it personally, but with no Boonen or Cancellara it's much leess clear cut.

Do you think Rich that Sagan has already peaked then?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Sad news about EBH ... from Team MTN website ...

“In a weather affected and dangerous race Edvald was involved in a crash”, states team doctor Dr Jarrad van Zuydam. “He made impact with a pole on the side of the road and has sustained a fracture of the outside portion of his right clavicle.”

The fracture will heal well without surgery but Edvald will be unable to race for at least four weeks. The timing of this injury is very unfortunate for MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung and the Norwegian who showed a good form in recent weeks and was looking forward to the upcoming classics.

“Paris-Roubaix was obviously one of the main goals of Edvald’s spring campaign”, adds the team’s Performance Manager Jens Zemke. “He was coming into shape and was very focussed on performing well in the upcoming cobbled monuments.”
  • RichN95.
    Do you think Rich that Sagan has already peaked then?
    I don't know. But I've seen in many sports a person who has been developed earlier than his contempories and turned out to be not much.

Sagan'sa great rider, but some projected Kelly/Merckx glory on him. Incorrectly.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    “I don’t know if I’ll keep racing,” Paolini said. “My contract expires at the end of the year, so we’ll see. Today has certainly given me a bit of motivation to continue but we’ll have to see who still believes in me for another year or two.”
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    FJS wrote:

Once a trackie....

Which race does he want to win again this year??
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,648
    Great race.

What's the forecast for next week?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    14scpja.jpg
    I have to ask though.
    Are you now RichN96 ??

Back on topic
    I'm glad your countryman is having a little rest this week as I can't see him on the 3 Day De Panne start list.
    He certainly needs to have a rest, I think.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    ThomThom wrote:

It's normally a sprinter's stage this. You do realise that, eh?

Like love the classics however I just couldn't get into it today. The weather forced the selection more than rider skill. E3 was a great deal better to watch.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • ddraver
    FJS wrote:

Which race does he want to win again this year??

To be fair it's worked for Cancellara in the past....
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Etixx. Cocking up the last 5km since 2015.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.