Rapha Hell of the North

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited April 2015 in Commuting chat
I've just signed up for this on 12 April but I'm not entirely sure what it is. It seems to be a bike ride that includes some off-road sections. I'm hoping to borrow my brother's Boardman CX as, from what I can tell, that looks ideal. Anybody done this event before who can give some pointers for prep?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I've just signed up for this on 12 April but I'm not entirely sure what it is. It seems to be a bike ride that includes some off-road sections. I'm hoping to borrow my brother's Boardman CX as, from what I can tell, that looks ideal. Anybody done this event before who can give some pointers for prep?

membership perks already eh?!

ballot isnt open yet :evil:

I did it last year and am planning to do it again this year, last year i rode my carbon ribble with 23c tyres which performed excellently in every respect, luckily it was warm and had been dry otherwise i'd have been in big trouble across of off road i.e. farm fields and woods.

be under no illusion this is a tough ride, dont be an idiot like me and take a carbon road bike with 23c tyres, i got lucky so this year my plan is too take the heavier old steel which is currently rocking those rubino pro tech 28c

but most importantly is the clearance for mud around the brakes, i spent all told about 30 mins stopping and digging mud out with whatever i could find.

Its most definitely not a race, we also spent a fair bit of time waiting for horses, walkers etc to pass on the off road sections.

brilliant day out but not for the faint hearted, oh and i'd say there's way more off road than you might think added to which there's no map, some of the subtle signage had been tampered with so a fair amount of back tracking and head scratching looking for the next pave section.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/479334705

few extra miles on the end looking for the pub, duh!

I was tired :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    Good advice, ITB. will definitely nick the bro's CXer then (I think he still has the original CX tyres on it though I might bring my 27C Paves if it looks like it will be dry).

Yes - a club "perk" is preferential entry. But if you or anybody else gets an entry, I'd be very happy to ride around it with company.

What with this and the Tour of Cambridgeshire, I seem to be doing my riding in the south this year.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I fancy a bit of this. I think I need to get a Twatter account to enter. The Kinesis would be perfect, can fit 42mm rubber. But I don't own any Rapha.
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:

Was it really 2000m of elevation? :shock:

I've been through Herts a few times on the bike and it's pretty flat. I did 100k in the Highlands at the weekend (including a 3/4 mile 15% descent) and only did 1005m. I'm not bothered about that elevation just surprised by it.

ETA - just for reference, the Chouffe Classic (in the Belgian Ardennes with some brutal 20% climbs) is comparable. I'm guessing that elevation is a bit off.
  • itboffin
    Yep that much climbing most likely more because my Garmin lost signal on some farm sections through woods.

Happy to ride together if we get places, there should be three of us so far.

As for Rapha kit I choose to wear all Castelli last year.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    itboffin wrote:

I've been through Herts a few times on the bike and it's pretty flat. I did 100k in the Highlands at the weekend (including a 3/4 mile 15% descent) and only did 1005m. I'm not bothered about that elevation just surprised by it.

ETA - just for reference, the Chouffe Classic (in the Belgian Ardennes with some brutal 20% climbs) is comparable. I'm guessing that elevation is a bit off.

I did it a couple of years ago... it was 95 Km with 1100 mt of climbing... quite lumpy, but nowhere near 2K. Realistically you can't do 2 K in Hertfordshire, unless you do at least 100 miles
    left the forum March 2023
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:

I did it a couple of years ago... it was 95 Km with 1100 mt of climbing... quite lumpy, but nowhere near 2K. Realistically you can't do 2 K in Hertfordshire, unless you do at least 100 miles

Yup - I did London to Stamford a couple of years ago - 100 miles on the nail and that's just 1000m. I assume Rapha will have sought out the lumper bits for this ride so I can imagine 1000m is plausible.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I fancy a bit of this. I think I need to get a Twatter account to enter. The Kinesis would be perfect, can fit 42mm rubber. But I don't own any Rapha.

I used to own a Rapha cap?

I do now own a CX though and am starting to feel well again. though may be touch and go if i'm fit and able by the 12th, but this does sound fun. though some one else would have to drink my beer, don't suppose that would be too hard to find someone...
  • itboffin
    well the garmin dont lie :lol:
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:
    well the garmin dont lie :lol:

I blame the square wheels :wink:
  • veronese68
    Too slow, didn't get in.
  • itboffin
    In like sin 8)

bike has been ready for about 2-3 weeks, now to test out those rubino pro tech on some off road
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Is the route one that someone could feasibly just follow on another day or does it involve crossing private land/other areas where cycling wouldn't normally be allowed?

It's pretty darn close to me so I'd certainly be up for trying out the route one day.
  • itboffin
    TimothyW wrote:
    Is the route one that someone could feasibly just follow on another day or does it involve crossing private land/other areas where cycling wouldn't normally be allowed?

It's pretty darn close to me so I'd certainly be up for trying out the route one day.

Yep lots across fields not right of way, so i'm guessing they have permission. In fact one fence was comically huge, i pity the odd MTB rider :twisted:
  • itboffin
    TimothyW wrote:

Have a look back a page or so i posted last years route, we also did a lap of the velodrome midway which was a refreshing change.
  • meanredspider
    Cool - my bro is happy for me to use his Boardman CX - I'll bring my Rubinos if it looks like being dry. I know from experience that slick tyres are utterly hopeless if there's mud.
  • itboffin
    I have one more change to make, SPD's I'm not riding across those fields this year :wink:
  • meanredspider
    itboffin wrote:
    I have one more change to make, SPD's I'm not riding across those fields this year :wink:

Good catch - must remember to bring my Sidi Dragons back with me next weekend.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Good catch - must remember to bring my Sidi Dragons back with me next weekend.

snap 8) :wink:
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    I'm in and by sounds of it, its one for Lefty. Camelback of ale Boffin?
  • itboffin
    JZed wrote:
    I'm in and by sounds of it, its one for Lefty. Camelback of ale Boffin?

Yup wot else
  • roger_merriman
    I'm in have to see how well the cx does!
  • veronese68
    What kind of tyres do you have? Might have some other options for you if necessary.
  • roger_merriman
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What kind of tyres do you have? Might have some other options for you if necessary.

just the stock ones, which are very cheap and cheerful Kenda K161 so cheap kenda don't list them!

On the other hand they seemed fine on the test loop of Richmond Park, going hopefully take them (and the bike) on a test mixed route to box hill and back, tomorrow see how it goes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    Looks like I am in
    left the forum March 2023
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Anyone have a GPS link for last year's? I'm away that weekend but would be useful to know where the nearest cobbled type roads are for a bit of training.
  • meanredspider
    BigMat wrote:
    Anyone have a GPS link for last year's? I'm away that weekend but would be useful to know where the nearest cobbled type roads are for a bit of training.

Page 1 of this thread, ITB posted his Garmin Connect route. I don't know how much cobble there is though - most of the pictures I've seen are "off-road"
  • itboffin
    No cobbles just lots of stone mud and giant pot holes