The Conspiracy Theory

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,735
    Just had this gem from the Daily Mash appear in my Faecesbook feed.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,846
    Veronese68 wrote:
    :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Veronese68 wrote:

I knew it. That's all the proof I need, now convinced there is no such thing as gravity, the Earth is flat, the moon is a hologram, and Manc33, RIP, is the Messiah.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

I knew it. That's all the proof I need, now convinced there is no such thing as gravity, the Earth is flat, the moon is a hologram, and Manc33, RIP, is the Messiah.
    He's not The Messiah, he's a very naughty troll.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,810
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    He's not The Messiah, he's a very naughty troll.
    ... now appearing in just Daily Mail comments... (that is if he's not been banned from there too).
  • briantrumpet
    Anyway... back to conspiracies...

I wonder if the apparent conspiracy between politicians and bankers (globally) and politicians and the big four accountancy firms (PFI etc) is actually because none of the politicians actually really understand what the hell is going on but can't admit to not having a clue. As almost-incomprehensible amounts of 'money' (actually just computer data, in effect) slosh around at the touch of buttons, the bankers seem to have stumbled on (designed?) various ways of either legally or illegally syphoning off vast sums to enrich themselves and their wealthiest clients, while governments the world over are merely playing catch-up, but doing it so badly that they are having to make impossibly difficult choices.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,150
    Anyway... back to conspiracies...

I wonder if the apparent conspiracy between politicians and bankers (globally) and politicians and the big four accountancy firms (PFI etc) is actually because none of the politicians actually really understand what the hell is going on but can't admit to not having a clue. As almost-incomprehensible amounts of 'money' (actually just computer data, in effect) slosh around at the touch of buttons, the bankers seem to have stumbled on (designed?) various ways of either legally or illegally syphoning off vast sums to enrich themselves and their wealthiest clients, while governments the world over are merely playing catch-up, but doing it so badly that they are having to make impossibly difficult choices.

Cannot it not simply be "...none of the politicians actually really understand what the hell is going on but can't admit to not having a clue." (as to how they can redress the balance of power) ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    Cannot it not simply be "...none of the politicians actually really understand what the hell is going on but can't admit to not having a clue." (as to how they can redress the balance of power) ?
    That's what I was implying might be the case, at least partially - in contrast with the revolving door so often apparent with so many politicians and civil servants (e.g. Dave Hartnett), maybe, just maybe, politicians who stay in politics instead of doing a Faustian pact with banking/big industry might actually be doing it because they think they can make a positive contribution to society, despite their apparent impotence much of the time.

But anyone who reads Private Eye will undoubtedly be cynical, whether it' s thinking that politicians are naïve, incompetent, or complicit. I'm less charitable in the case of the banks. If there is a revolution, they'll be the ones who are the reason for it: they've got us by the goolies in a way never seen in history.
  • pinno
    That's what I was implying might be the case, at least partially - in contrast with the revolving door so often apparent with so many politicians and civil servants (e.g. Dave Hartnett), maybe, just maybe, politicians who stay in politics instead of doing a Faustian pact with banking/big industry might actually be doing it because they think they can make a positive contribution to society, despite their apparent impotence much of the time.

But anyone who reads Private Eye will undoubtedly be cynical, whether it' s thinking that politicians are naïve, incompetent, or complicit. I'm less charitable in the case of the banks. If there is a revolution, they'll be the ones who are the reason for it: they've got us by the goolies in a way never seen in history.

These politicians are then accused of being career politicians.
    The Executive Chimp might contradict you but the status quo is in his favour.

Too long has the rhetoric and ideology of the wealth 'filtering down' been preached. If the commercial interests of banks and financial institutions are to blame, what hope has the average minion got in any case? They hold too much power.
  • Stevo_666
    Too long has the rhetoric and ideology of the wealth 'filtering down' been preached. If the commercial interests of banks and financial institutions are to blame, what hope has the average minion got in any case? They hold too much power.
    Which other way is wealth going to filter then? :roll: It can't filter up can it. Those who are in a position to create businesses and therefore jobs are entrepreneurs and established businesses. What's the incentive to invest, take risks, work hard and create something if any positive results are simply shared out between everyone regardless of ability, effort or result? The electorate rejected Miliband pretty decisively just a couple of weeks ago because they get that.

As for the banks having too much sway - possibly, but the tide seems to be turning. Just be careful what you wish for as an effective financial sector which is not regulated so heavily that it cannot provide a cost efficient service is our interests.
  • briantrumpet
    I fear we might stray into partisan politics if we're not careful, rather than conspiracies (or absence of them).
  • Stevo_666
    I fear we might stray into partisan politics if we're not careful, rather than conspiracies (or absence of them).
    Just needed to put Pinno straight on something, although it is a commonly held leftie belief that there are shady capitalist conspiracies afoot. Now back to some conspiracies with a bit of credibility :wink:
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Just needed to put Pinno straight on something, although it is a commonly held leftie belief that there are shady capitalist conspiracies afoot.
    It's that temptation 'just to put someone right on something' that the trolls rely on (I know that neither of you are that), and how Manc33 drew intelligent people into his fantastic world. So yes, let's stick to conspiracies, real or imagined, rather than party politics. I've had my fill of them for a while...
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Which other way is wealth going to filter then? :roll: It can't filter up can it. Those who are in a position to create businesses and therefore jobs are entrepreneurs and established businesses...bollox bollox

As for the banks having too much sway - possibly, but the tide seems to be turning. Just be careful what you wish for as an effective financial sector which is not regulated so heavily that it cannot provide a cost efficient service is our interests.

The fact is that too little of it filters down. It still doesn't cover the cost of vital services some of which go unpaid. The voluntary sector still picks up a huge tab for the ills of capitalism. I have nothing against it, just that it is hugely imbalanced based on flawed arguments just like those that you keep presenting. The banks got us into this mess and it is the banks that are responsible and need to rectify it. End of.
    Remember: An intelligent parasite does not kill it's host.

No one mentioned Millibland except you! He didn't get elected because he lacked passion, conviction and personality.

This thread will soon run out of conspiracies Brian T, although we need a cohesive conspiracy against IS. (or should I say, co-operation).

Is it a conspiracy that the financial institutions allow IS funds in their vaults? If you cut that off, IS would shrivel up and die in an instant. Or is it that too many people get to sell arms to them?
  • briantrumpet
    This thread will soon run out of conspiracies Brian T, although we need a cohesive conspiracy against IS. (or should I say, co-operation).

Is it a conspiracy that the financial institutions allow IS funds in their vaults? If you cut that off, IS would shrivel up and die in an instant. Or is it that too many people get to sell arms to them?
    That's more like it. I rather enjoyed Bitter Lake (still on BBC iPlayer), which again implicates the banks - though how much of the story is conspiracy, and how much cock-up (unintended consequences), is one of the big questions left hanging. It's probably a mixture of both, but whatever, with toxic/fatal results for humanity.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    like barristers having to do a good job for a defendant who has all the evidence stacked against him

Barristers are not necessarily trying to get the defendant off the hook. But ensuring the defendant gets a fair trial and the legal system is adhered to. Reminding the defendant of their rights, etc. Otherwise we'd have some persecution like North Korea.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • briantrumpet
    ben@31 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    like barristers having to do a good job for a defendant who has all the evidence stacked against him
    Barristers are not necessarily trying to get the defendant off the hook. But ensuring the defendant gets a fair trial and the legal system is adhered to. Reminding the defendant of their rights, etc. Otherwise we'd have some persecution like North Korea.
    I think I must have an alter ego ... I'm sure I said that. Maybe I didn't. Maybe MI5 have stolen my identity and given it to this 'Stevo 666' person. I don't remember being abducted by aliens .... but maybe I was. How many people know? Could they all be kept quiet??
  • pinno
    ben@31 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I think I must have an alter ego ... I'm sure I said that. Maybe I didn't. Maybe MI5 have stolen my identity and given it to this 'Stevo 666' person. I don't remember being abducted by aliens .... but maybe I was. How many people know? Could they all be kept quiet??

Shhh... remember; you took the blue pill.
  • briantrumpet
    Shhh... remember; you took the blue pill.
    That would be why I'm finding it difficult to rest the computer on my lap. Thanks for the heads-up.
  • Stevo_666
    ben@31 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Yep, there's no way I'd write something like that :wink:
  • ben@31
    Heard a conspiracy theory that the govt want to scrap human rights and spy on its own people against their wish STASI or North Korea style! Ha ha h... oh wait... http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... t-52867088

"But think of all the terrorists!" I hear you cry. In the last five years, your chances of being killed by a terrorist are about one in 20 million. This compares annual risk of dying in a car accident of 1 in 19,000; drowning in a bathtub at 1 in 800,000; dying in a building fire at 1 in 99,000; or being struck by lightning at 1 in 5,500,000. In other words, in the last five years you were four times more likely to be struck by lightning than killed by a terrorist.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Errr, can anyone point out to us a single Tory who as ever said they want to scrap human rights? I must have missed the bit where the queen said there was going to be a law allowing the entire population to be sold into slavery.
    They are proposing to replace a system where the ECHR is the final arbiter on what constitutes human rights with one the relies on British laws and British courts. That may or may not be a good thing, but it's an incredibly long way from the ridiculous, hyperbolic lefty squeal of "the evil Tories are doing away with human rights! Just as soon as they've finished eating babies"
    The proposed surveillance laws are indeed a cause for concern (though I like your implication that the government should only ever do covert surveillance on people after checking they're OK with it) but I very much doubt that over-inflated scares about human rights are the best way to fight them.
  • briantrumpet
    It's hardly a conspiracy when a political party announces that they are going to do something (however unpopular or misguided) then do it. Nor is a conspiracy when pundits and news sources lazily or deliberately skew stories to fit their prejudices. That's just politics, and human nature.
  • briantrumpet
    This is a bit more like it, from Guardian comments on the FIFA affair:

"Story on the BBC is that some MI6 guy, working on their Russian desk, tipped off the sky journalist at the beginning of Sky's investigation into this and then introduced the Sky journalist to the relevant people at the FBI. I have no idea if that is true or not, but it makes you think that making a total fool out of Cameron and the heir to the British throne might not have been Blatter's smartest move. Cameron strikes me as a vindictive type and having shaken the hands with the relevant people who promised him their votes, and being confident that it was in the bag, Cameron and Prince William show up to the envelope thing in Switzwerland. How many votes dos they get - it was something really humiliating I think. Cameron and William simply would have gone there and had all the cameras there unless they were certain they had it won, based on conversations with the various peoe at FIFA with a vote. Maybe I am being too much of a conspiracy theorist, but it looks to me like Blatter has had this coming for a while."
  • Stevo_666
    It's hardly a conspiracy when a political party announces that they are going to do something (however unpopular or misguided) then do it. Nor is a conspiracy when pundits and news sources lazily or deliberately skew stories to fit their prejudices. That's just politics, and human nature.
    Exactly, there's no conspiracy there, just leftie scaremongering and sour grapes at losing the election - again.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Exactly, there's no conspiracy there, just leftie scaremongering and sour grapes at losing the election - again.

Cameron did come out with this choice line:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1e767dd6-f8c4 ... z3a0K4Wvhf
    Addressing the council, the prime minister is expected to say that the UK has been “neutral” on questions of opposing values. “For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone,” he will say.

Bizarre.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Just for Rick - HITLER LIVES!!!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ben@31
    Just for Rick - HITLER LIVES!!!

Myth.

I don't believe a power hungry megalomaniac bent on total war simply retired overnight and never said a word again. You would have thought it was in his nature to raise an insurrection, coup or "second coming".

... Hang on a black VW has just pulled up outside with guys dressed in black Hugo Boss suits. Ministry of funny walks?