Froome out of Tirreno

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    He was asked by one of the GCN chaps about his Madone record (after Daniel Lloyd beat the time on an electric bike) - Froome replied something along the lines of Porte being quicker than him up there.

Thanks for that. I've seen that Madone time used by asylum throbbers as incontrovertible evidence of super-human performace and often wondered if it was a wind-up.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,195
    Macaloon wrote:
    If I was Davy B I'd be looking to hire a doctor who knew a thing or two about keeping cyclists healthy. We're never going to see a meaningful race between the big 4. This is a disaster.

That worked really well for them last time didn't it!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    keef66 wrote:
    Back to the topic - it does surprise me that for someone who suffers with Asthma and has a current chest infection (that presumably impacts breathing) his first response is to cuddle up to a big fluffy cat*. Can't help surely - generally if you suffer with breathing issues you tend to be allergic (at first at least) to animal hair - certainly I am.

*clearly talking about his feline friend in his twitter photos. Mrs Froome could surely never be described as 'fluffy'.

I'm sure if he was allergic to anything cat related he wouldn't be cuddling one. I'm pretty certain it's possible to be asthmatic without being allergic to everything...

it is, I can assure you its possible to be asthmatic and not be allergic to everything, including cats, everyones triggers are different and even with a chest infection which is keeping me off my bike, my cat is making no difference to current wheeziness :)

in anycase Froomey is an exercise induced asthmatic, which isnt caused by allergens.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    No, no, the problem is roundabouts.

The campaign to prevent Milton Keynes ever hosting a tour stage starts here.

Huzzah! Can we add Basingstoke to the list too?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    If MK ever gets a shout then tourism into the UK is doomed. What a disgusting, godforsaken place.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    No, no, the problem is roundabouts.

The campaign to prevent Milton Keynes ever hosting a tour stage starts here.

Huzzah! Can we add Basingstoke to the list too?

I've been to Basingstoke twice. I'm still wondering quite what I did to deserve it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    When I was young, in the same way that Swindon had the Oasis, Basingstoke had the leisure park - four screen cinema, ice rink, swimming pool and pitch & putt. I used to cycle there in the summer holidays.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    When Rich were a lad:

Hovis_1555090i.jpg
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Macaloon wrote:
    He was asked by one of the GCN chaps about his Madone record (after Daniel Lloyd beat the time on an electric bike) - Froome replied something along the lines of Porte being quicker than him up there.

Thanks for that. I've seen that Madone time used by asylum throbbers as incontrovertible evidence of super-human performace and often wondered if it was a wind-up.

I dont know if Porte has gone quicker since, but in Froome's book he says Porte was in front halfway up then he (Froome) reached the top first. They both beat Lance's time.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    It's about 9.20 into this video where they have a chat with Froome about Lloyd's 'electrifying' ride up Madone...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EWlY-AwvRw
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Nicole Cooke has a dig at Froome and his dodgy TUEs in todays Guardian, see

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/m ... cole-cooke
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    natrix wrote:
    Nicole Cooke has a dig at Froome and his dodgy TUEs in todays Guardian, see

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/m ... cole-cooke

You mean his perfectly legitimate and within the rules TUE? It's almost as if the author had a barely disguised agenda...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    That's the one Ian, I don't know what her agenda is though............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    It strikes me that she could be Mrs. 90%

AtC should be fish slapping us for our sexism in assuming "a respected cycling professional" was a man
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    natrix wrote:
    Her agenda is basically hitting back at and settling scores with anyone who didn't bow to her and her father's every whim and treat her like a superstar.

I had a conversation with someone high up in Welsh sport when they had a bit too much to drink at a Welsh Hockey function - the person was absolutely delighted when she retired. You can see her attitude in that piece - she acknowledges that WADA said the TUE was completely OK, but believes that her own opinion is more important.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichN95 wrote:
    natrix wrote:
    Her agenda is basically hitting back at and settling scores with anyone who didn't bow to her and her father's every whim and treat her like a superstar.

I had a conversation with someone high up in Welsh sport when they had a bit too much to drink at a Welsh Hockey function - the person was absolutely delighted when she retired. You can see her attitude in that piece - she acknowledges that WADA said the TUE was completely OK, but believes that her own opinion is more important.

This sums her up perfectly. I've not seen many a good word, if any about her since 08. Did she not disobey team orders in Copenhagen?
  • Anonymous
    Interestingly spoke to Chris Froome tonight on PM on Twitter. Bizarre. He said he had talked to Nicole, and her issue with with Team Sky and British Cycling.
  • iainf72
    sjmclean wrote:
    Interestingly spoke to Chris Froome tonight on PM on Twitter. Bizarre. He said he had talked to Nicole, and her issue with with Team Sky and British Cycling.

As I suspected.

So basically crap on Froome because of your problem with BC.
  • Anonymous
    edited March 2015
    iainf72 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

As I suspected.

So basically crap on Froome because of your problem with BC.

Basically.
  • Macaloon
    sjmclean wrote:
    Just to clarify, you sent Froome a Twitter DM and had a discussion about Nicole's article?
    If so, fair play to both.
  • Anonymous
    Macaloon wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    Just to clarify, you sent Froome a Twitter DM and had a discussion about Nicole's article?
    If so, fair play to both.

No. I tweeted this: @NicoleCooke2012 Are you really that bitter? You acknowledge WADA said Froome's TUE was good, but you think your opinion matter more?

And ten minutes later, he followed me and sent me a DM. He instigated the conversation. I checked it's the verified by twitter account as well.
  • iainf72
    sjmclean wrote:

And ten minutes later, he followed me and sent me a DM. He instigated the conversation. I checked it's the verified by twitter account as well.

Good egg I reckon
  • Macaloon
    iainf72 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

Good egg I reckon

+1. Well played.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Would DMs not be considered a private conversation?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Anonymous
    Would DMs not be considered a private conversation?

Well one half of the conversation is me, so am I not allowed to discuss my own conversations. I haven't revealed anything we didn't know, and theres stuff I wouldn't share but it was a breif conversation. I imagine done in DM to avoid the usual trolls on twitter didn't jump in.

and if it was that private then he wouldn't be discussing it with a random fan from Glasgow.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    When I was young, in the same way that Swindon had the Oasis, Basingstoke had the leisure park - four screen cinema, ice rink, swimming pool and pitch & putt. I used to cycle there in the summer holidays.

Many a birthday party there, if it wasn't the Oasis in Swindon. :lol: I even saw Paddington at what was the Warner Brorthe'r's and is now an Odeon with the in-laws. Used to cycle there as a teenager too. must have been the only teenage girl in north Hampshire that rode a bike along the B3400.
    ddraver wrote:
    AtC should be fish slapping us for our sexism in assuming "a respected cycling professional" was a man

I'd like to see the 90% person cycling along the B3400 (at 15 years old).
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    Macaloon wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:

Good egg I reckon

+1. Well played.

I might even start to like him at this rate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,819
    Both Hayman and Durbridge have been on the deck.
    Contador also just involved in a crash, but doesn't look to have been on the tarmac.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    other thread buddy.... ;)
    - @ddraver