Froome out of Tirreno

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Do you still think that there is very little doping in cycling?
    A doping strategy which revolves around not actually racing.

Worked for Lance, etc, etc
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    I'm not having a go at Froome. But CIRC suggests that 90% of all TUEs are for PE benefits. That is what I was saying...i.e. Cookson can't be blamed yet but if he doesn't do anything about it then he can be blamed in the future.

Someone needs to do a rerun of Brass Eye's Cake sketch. Make up a drug and see how long it takes the usual suspects to claim full knowledge of its use.

I sometimes wonder if that phenomenon was related to something seen in a survey conducted by academic researchers at the height of the moral panic around video nasties.

Basically involved giving a bunch of young children a list of made up video nasty titles and asking them to mark the ones they has seen. Unsurprisingly, a lot of kids said they'd seen films which didn't exist. On the face of it, a desperate desire to be seen to be au courant .
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Back to the topic - it does surprise me that for someone who suffers with Asthma and has a current chest infection (that presumably impacts breathing) his first response is to cuddle up to a big fluffy cat*. Can't help surely - generally if you suffer with breathing issues you tend to be allergic (at first at least) to animal hair - certainly I am.

*clearly talking about his feline friend in his twitter photos. Mrs Froome could surely never be described as 'fluffy'.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,739
    You lot are weird.

Cyclist gets ill, pulls out of race.

That's it.

All it means is the race is missing a key protagonist, and you lot are talking about TUEs and Brian Cookson?

Come on guys. It's like you don't even like racing.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Foil hat or not, he gets a prednisolone TUE for 40mg a day when he gets chesty. Have you ever taken a week long 40mg a day course of Pred? It's good stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,739
    Foil hat or not, he gets a prednisolone TUE for 40mg a day when he gets chesty. Have you ever taken a week long 40mg a day course of Pred? It's good stuff.

And?

If he passes the tests he'll race and that's what I'll be watching, and to be honest, that's all I give a sh!t about.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    You lot are weird.

Cyclist gets ill, pulls out of race.

That's it.

All it means is the race is missing a key protagonist, and you lot are talking about TUEs and Brian Cookson?

Come on guys. It's like you don't even like racing.

You've only just noticed? For some the doping element of the sport is its most (only?) interesting facet.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

I thought twitter decided that was a Neddie No No, so surely Sky should be applauded for not doing the same thing this year?

No?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    March is bit early to be taking medication to race because your afraid of missing race days.

There's probably a whole thing about the toll on the body of an inhumane body fat percentage
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    If I was Davy B I'd be looking to hire a doctor who knew a thing or two about keeping cyclists healthy. We're never going to see a meaningful race between the big 4. This is a disaster.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Back to the topic - it does surprise me that for someone who suffers with Asthma and has a current chest infection (that presumably impacts breathing) his first response is to cuddle up to a big fluffy cat*. Can't help surely - generally if you suffer with breathing issues you tend to be allergic (at first at least) to animal hair - certainly I am.

*clearly talking about his feline friend in his twitter photos. Mrs Froome could surely never be described as 'fluffy'.

I'm sure if he was allergic to anything cat related he wouldn't be cuddling one. I'm pretty certain it's possible to be asthmatic without being allergic to everything...
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Macaloon wrote:
    If I was Davy B I'd be looking to hire a doctor who knew a thing or two about keeping cyclists healthy. We're never going to see a meaningful race between the big 4. This is a disaster.
    We'd have seen 3 of the 4 at the Tour last year if 2 of them hadn't crashed out before the mountains - hiring more/better doctors won't guarantee anything!
  • ddraver
    Stopping Circus act Stages with cobbles in would tho...

;)
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    keef66 wrote:

I'm sure if he was allergic to anything cat related he wouldn't be cuddling one. I'm pretty certain it's possible to be asthmatic without being allergic to everything...

Around 20% of adult asthmatics (and more in some studies) have no identifiable allergies.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Around 20% of adult asthmatics (and more in some studies) have no identifiable allergies.
    My friend who is asthmatic is allergic to peanuts. More specifically, he is allergic to buying the peanuts in his own round (he can eat them OK)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    RichN95 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    My friend who is asthmatic is allergic to peanuts. More specifically, he is allergic to buying the peanuts in his own round (he can eat them OK)

:D
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I heard it was 90%
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    bompington wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I heard it was 90%

:) Just typed out a sensible rebuttal and then the penny dropped!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You weren't going to make a CIRCular argument were you?
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    keef66 wrote:

depends on the cat too . i,m asthmatic . some cats set me off , some dont . now had a cat for 6 weeks and had no problem at all .
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bompington wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I heard it was 90%

Brilliant :D:D
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    ddraver wrote:
    Stopping Circus act Stages with cobbles in would tho...

;)

Talking about France then, or is it to be the "Tour of Some France Bits".
    The TDF is a tour race of "All" France for Real Bike Racers.
    Maybe the others should just stay in Monaco for health as well as Tax reasons.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ddraver
    Oooh got one!!
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    No, no, the problem is roundabouts.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Froome is doing a live Q&A on twitter:

Chris Froome @chrisfroome · 28s 29 seconds ago
    I have had 2 during my career RT @jknight597: @chrisfroome Are you willing to release details of all your TUEs for the last few years?
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    In other Froome related revelations:

He thinks Mondory is an idiot.
    He would have been an Accountant if not a cyclist
    He goes to Nandos a lot
    He doesnt know his VO2 max - only tested back at the UCI academy and cant remember his numbers
    During the racing season he misses drinking Baileys :roll:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Chris Froome @chrisfroome · 26s 26 seconds ago
    No, but it has been beaten since. RT @jazzporridge: @chrisfroome Was your Madone training time a wind-up?

Good lad.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Was tempted to ask him "If you could drown one of them in a bucket, would it be digger or kimbo"

But I wouldn't like to have the faithful set on me so I'll keep quiet.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Macaloon wrote:
    Chris Froome @chrisfroome · 26s 26 seconds ago
    No, but it has been beaten since. RT @jazzporridge: @chrisfroome Was your Madone training time a wind-up?

Good lad.

He was asked by one of the GCN chaps about his Madone record (after Daniel Lloyd beat the time on an electric bike) - Froome replied something along the lines of Porte being quicker than him up there.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    No, no, the problem is roundabouts.

The campaign to prevent Milton Keynes ever hosting a tour stage starts here.