Froome out of Tirreno

slim_boy_fat
slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
edited March 2015 in Pro race
Out due to a chest infection.
@TeamSky: Chris Froome's will miss #Tirreno due to a chest infection. Reaction from the man himself at http://t.co/Q1lDynUqTD http://t.co/o409BnVJIF

Bit of a shame as it was shaping up to be an early season test of the main protagonists.

Wait for The Clinic to explode.

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Just as the CIRC report is published. Coincidence? I think not.

/clinic
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    TUE for a course of prednisolone because of the 'asthma complications' in 3...2...1...
  • The_Boy
    Why would he need a TUE when he has already been given the green light from his compatriot Cookson to dope 90s style? The TUE was just to throw people of the scent.

Open your eyes, sheeeple!!11!
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I don't think you can blame Cookson. If he does nothing about it over the next few months, then you can.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited March 2015
    Joelsim wrote:
    I don't think you can blame Cookson. If he does nothing about it over the next few months, then you can.
    Do nothing about what?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Shame.

So who else is riding for sky?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Ridiculous. He needs to sort out these chest infections.

Was going to be Froome v Contador v Quintana v Nibali. Never happened before properly.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shame.

Vasil Kiryienka, Leopold König, Mikel Nieve, Wout Poels, Salvatore Puccio, Kanstantsin Siutsou, Ian Stannard and Elia Viviani.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,235
    Fist pumps of relief all round then at Tinkov, Astana and Movistar after seeing what Froome did in Andalucia...
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Just seen it reported that Kittel is out also.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Ridiculous. He needs to sort out these chest infections.

Was going to be Froome v Contador v Quintana v Nibali. Never happened before properly.

I imagine if he has asthma he's more susceptible, and I'm always of the (unproven) opinion that being on-form-skinny all year round means you will get ill more often.
  • The_Boy
    sjmclean wrote:
    Shame.

Vasil Kiryienka, Leopold König, Mikel Nieve, Wout Poels, Salvatore Puccio, Kanstantsin Siutsou, Ian Stannard and Elia Viviani.

Konig for GC then? nice one.
  • Ridiculous. He needs to sort out these chest infections.

I imagine if he has asthma he's more susceptible, and I'm always of the (unproven) opinion that being on-form-skinny all year round means you will get ill more often.

The old "get some meat on you then you've got it to lose" trick?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Frustrating. I just hope that this doesn't turn into the kind of season he had last year.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Could this just be a bug that is running through Sky camp? Kennaugh withdrew at very short notice from S-B and they have been training and racing together.
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Do nothing about what?

Are you just being awkward again? TUEs as PEDs.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    mr_poll wrote:
    Could this just be a bug that is running through Sky camp? Kennaugh withdrew at very short notice from S-B and they have been training and racing together.

That could be the immediate cause. You do get the sense though that Froome is fundamentally more prone to infection than most (given his past). Plus, as Rick says, having to maintain such a low body fat percentage probably doesn't help either.
  • joelsim
    The_Boy wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    Shame.

Konig for GC then? nice one.

Nieve I should think.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Do nothing about what?

Are you being thick again? There's not much point having a TUE for a PED if you're not in the race, is there? It's like rigging a raffle you haven't bought a ticket for.

You do realise that The_Boy was taking the p1ss don't you?
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Do nothing about what?

Are you being thick again? There's not much point having a TUE for a PED if you're not in the race, is there? It's like rigging a raffle you haven't bought a ticket for.

You do realise that The_Boy was taking the p1ss don't you?

Just carry on being contrary, as usual.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    I'll always be contrary to dumb ideas.
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    I'll always be contrary to dumb ideas.

You will always be contrary, yes.

Do you still think that there is very little doping in cycling?
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    Do you still think that there is very little doping in cycling?
    Have I ever said that? I think it's less than many make out though.

However, when a rider with a long history of dropping out of races which chest problems drops out of a race with chest problems it is exactly as it seems.

You on the other hand think it is some sort of doping conspiracy which you seem unable to explain and wouldn't make the slightest bit of sense if you tried. A doping strategy which revolves around not actually racing.
  • joelsim
    I'm not having a go at Froome. But CIRC suggests that 90% of all TUEs are for PE benefits. That is what I was saying...i.e. Cookson can't be blamed yet but if he doesn't do anything about it then he can be blamed in the future.

As for trying to explain things, everything I have said over the past few years has come up in this report i.e. still rife, still loopholes, passport makes it harder but also helps riders dope, miscrodosing still commonplace, testing largely pointless etc etc. You for one, have suggested on frequent occasions that I was/am wrong.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,819
    Joelsim wrote:
    I'm not having a go at Froome. But CIRC suggests that 90% of all TUEs are for PE benefits. That is what I was saying...i.e. Cookson can't be blamed yet but if he doesn't do anything about it then he can be blamed in the future.

There are many shades of grey within cycling and the rules that govern.
    Very little is as black and white as some would have us believe.
    You are arguing from an ethical standpoint, not a legal one.

What are you suggesting Cookson must do, exactly?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

There are many shades of grey within cycling and the rules that govern.
    Very little is as black and white as some would have us believe.
    You are arguing from an ethical standpoint, not a legal one.

What are you suggesting Cookson must do, exactly?

Make it harder to get a TUE in whichever way he chooses is the best way. To at least make moves to improve the situation as you are right, it is a hugely grey area.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    Yet no statistics on TUE applications were published. It's heresay. A Dutch(?) newspaper asked many teams how many TUEs they had had that year and those that responded had barely any.
    An individual's unsupported anecdote is very weak evidence. The report also gives credence to ozone therapy (quackery), motorized bikes (nonsense) and Gas6 (doesn't exist as a product). There are a couple of witnesses listed who are prone to repeat any old rumour they've heard as fact.

Someone needs to do a rerun of Brass Eye's Cake sketch. Make up a drug and see how long it takes the usual suspects to claim full knowledge of its use.
  • joelsim
    Stuyven out, Cav has picked up a virus too.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    It is one rider* saying that they think 90% of TUEs are used for PED purposes.

Page 61 if you're interested.

Anecdote is not data.

I should have used this in the three hour methods class I just gave.

*One anonymous rider at that. It is possible to talk shit when hiding behind the veil of anonymity, that is why anonymised interview data is never to be treated as 'proof' of anything.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,819
    LOL.
    Stage 1 now out of the race.......
    (well, all bar 5kms of it)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.