Carbon Hardtails...

Comments

• Don B
    Don B Posts: 122
    I'm a long way off being able to decide on the lay up of a frame or the way one is made tbh, just read that Carbon is going to be a little more forgiving on a hard tail, but at the same time being nice and light.
  • Depends where that carbon is.... That's the point.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yes, that's a huge sweeping generalisation. Some carbon frames are more compliant than some aluminium frames. Likewise some are lighter. It's not a given.
  • Don B
    Thanks for the input so far. Trying to decide on making the purchase of the Kula Watt.

It's going to cost approx £150 difference to change from my 2013 Cindercone to the 2011 Kula Watt

Sound like a good punt if it all checks out?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    andy37 wrote:
    A final note is that we dont hang around and although we also dont crash much the frames are holding up just fine, i think for longevity it is important to buy a frame with a good lay up.

So how do you know which frames have a good lay up and which dont?
  • Don B
    I'm gonna have to read up on the layup of frames.

So, £150 extra to change from a Cindercone to a Kula Watt?
    Good deal?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Don't bother reading up on layup, as you won't know what layup the frame your buying will have anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Don B
    Yes, seems to be mostly marketing blurb from the different bike companies when it's Googled.

Changing to the kula watt wikl also bring me from a coil rockshox recon to a Rockshox SID fork
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well worth it in monetary term, but the older SID are quite flexible and don't suite everyone.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Only the pre-2008 ones. 4 years old will be virtually identical to the current ones, in fact they're better based on my experience.
  • Don B
    Thanks for the input, cant imagine the SID being any more flexible than the recon fork?

I'm about 16 stone, so hoping it'll be able to hold up. The Kula has an Easton EA70 XC wheelset too, which I'm hoping will take the weight
  • njee20
    Mmm, possible. Wont be much stiffer. Rookie was specifically talking about the pre-2008 forks though, which had 28mm stantions, and really were flexy.
  • Don B
    Ah ok, as long as it's not any worse. Also, the sid is about 700 grams lighter from what I've read.
  • njee20
    Yep, Recons aren't light. Veritable boat anchors if they've got a steel steerer.
  • Don B
    Yep, steel steerer as far as i know.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    njee20 wrote:
    Mmm, possible. Wont be much stiffer. Rookie was specifically talking about the pre-2008 forks though, which had 28mm stantions, and really were flexy.

Am I right in thinking the post 2008 32mm SIDs have the same lowers as same age Reba's? My 2012 Reba was v v flexy.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I think that was 2012 onwards
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Reba's did come in many variants, some flexy, some not. The 100-120mm travel with tapered steerer and 15mm axle is pretty stiff.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Mm mine had neither of those things, hence the noodlyness!
  • Don B
    All stuff I wouldn't have thought about..Thanks guys
  • Don B
    Another quick question...is a 2011 Kula Watt worth £500..good deal at that?
  • Chunkers1980
    depends.....
  • Don B
    Well, if it's in good overall condition, just serviced, with the fork just been serviced also.
  • Chunkers1980
    depends...
  • Don B
    Point taken
  • njee20
    What's the build? Could be a good deal.
  • Don B
    It's totally standard:

Rockshox SID RL RMT
    SRAM X0 / X9
    Easton EA90/EC70 finishing kit
    Easton EA70 XC Wheelset
    Avid Elixir CR Brakes
  • njee20
    Assuming it's all in good nick then £500 seems good. You won't get anything comparable new for that, but 26" XC bikes are very unfashionable these days.
  • Don B
    Very true...but to get a decent FS trail bike second hand I'd be looking at £1000 minimum I reckon
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Don B wrote:
    Very true...but to get a decent FS trail bike second hand I'd be looking at £1000 minimum I reckon

Why get second hand when you can get a decent FS trail bike (650b) for under £1k? Join British Cycling and you get a 10% discount as well :)

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-team-full-suspension-650b-2014
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris