Vino and the credibility of cycling

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Vino does sound like a fairly terrible manager

I'd imagine he assumes everyone has as thick skin as he does.

Like a Roy Keane type.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    There's something poetic about a local government administrator taking down a team with audits and paperwork.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    As a cycling fan I find the Van Arvemaert story more worrying. We all knew Vino is as dirty as they come already.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    gsk82 wrote:
    As a cycling fan I find the Van Arvemaert story more worrying. We all knew Vino is as dirty as they come already.

He isn't the only one on the list, a few of the Etixx boys are too but it hasn't come out yet.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Joelsim wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

He isn't the only one on the list, a few of the Etixx boys are too but it hasn't come out yet.

Is this like your "Contador is in the Ferrari investigation" story?

I reckon the GVA story is more stupidity than anything else.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    April 2 - Astana's day of judgement looms. The licencing commission is meeting in Geneva on Thurs 2 April to rule on the UCI's request.

It seems that if the decision goes against Astana, they could apply for a second division licence although the UCI would unlikely to grant this also. Guess we will have to wait and see.

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/article/2015/03/20/cyclisme-l-avenir-d-astana-se-jouera-le-2-avril_4598269_3242.html
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Vino has submitted all the necessary paperwork - photos of the Commission's homes and families and single bullet
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    FFS - if they're out because of doping then they're out full-stop. Not some BS about be able to be a lower grade team.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Its interesting in a way, I dont know what the solution is though.

For the Conti team, that are kicked out because of their doping history.

All the remaining riders are now racing (in Astana kit) at elite level in Belgium.

Maybe its better to let them keep their license then test them all day every day. Rather than having them racing at a lower level where there is a lot less doping controls.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • joelsim
    Surely making them a third division team makes it much harder for the race organisers to give them wild cards doesn't it? RCS and ASO will then have to justify why they are choosing them over a TSV or a Vini.

Income will be hammered, the top riders leave. It's essentially the same as banning them.
  • markwb79
    Joelsim wrote:
    Surely making them a third division team makes it much harder for the race organisers to give them wild cards doesn't it? RCS and ASO will then have to justify why they are choosing them over a TSV or a Vini.

Income will be hammered, the top riders leave. It's essentially the same as banning them.

Totally agree.

Then the riders will be fighting even more for their career's/futures. Fighting for results in races where there is a lot less control.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Maybe its better to let them keep their license then test them all day every day.
    The costs of those tests to be borne by the team. ??
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

At Conti level they won't be eligible for wildcard invitations to World Tour races.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

At Conti level they won't be eligible for wildcard invitations to World Tour races.

It also removes Astana from the glare of so much publicity. It's a bit like hiding your crazy uncle in an asylum in the hope that they don't bring more shame onto an already shamed family.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • markwb79
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

It also removes Astana from the glare of so much publicity. It's a bit like hiding your crazy uncle in an asylum in the hope that they don't bring more shame onto an already shamed family.

No, its like hiding him anywhere but the asylum. He is being hidden where there are impressionable 19 year olds.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • joelsim
    Astana is a marketing vehicle. It won't be funded in the Conti ranks anyway as there will be no point. I'm pretty sure that this will be done to allow the riders to keep fit for the rest of the year but deny the team those all-important Grand Tour spots.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

No, its like hiding him anywhere but the asylum. He is being hidden where there are impressionable 19 year olds.

Hiding him in the children's home... :shock: Crumbs.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Just a rumour from De Telegraaf (no surprise). UCI deny it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    wonder what Nibbles is thinking at the moment. Must be worried for his TdF spot, only place I can see him moving to is Tinkof but would anyone really want to go there and could they handle him and Contador in the same team
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Nothing will happen quickly. If the UCI decide to withdraw the licence, it'll end up in the courts and by the time that gets sorted, the big tours will have come and gone.

If it does happen sooner, what are the rules around riders switching teams mid-season? Would Nibali be able to negotiate a release from Astana and end up somewhere else for the Tour?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Just a rumour from De Telegraaf (no surprise). UCI deny it.

Telegraaf are usually very accurate with this kind of stuff
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Most of the juiciest rumours from de Telegraaf have turned out (at least partly) true over the years
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Interview with Astana press attaché

Features taking your pants down to go to the loo, stuttering ass-holes, relaxed sphincters, and champion mud holders (to my disappointment Google told me that 'holding your mud' isn't a metaphor for not sh|tting yourself :().
  • joelsim
    The, ahem, heavyweights have started the PR drive. First thing I've ever read coming from Astana that looks serious. Maybe the penny has dropped.

http://astanaproteam.kz/en/page/news/63 ... -kaletaev/
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    EKIMIKE wrote:

Features taking your pants down to go to the loo, stuttering ass-holes, relaxed sphincters, and champion mud holders (to my disappointment Google told me that 'holding your mud' isn't a metaphor for not sh|tting yourself :().
    "Maxim (Iglinsky) is a sweetheart, I really like him..... Valentin's an arseh0le" Ha!
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • joelsim
    RichN95 wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:

"Maxim (Iglinsky) is a sweetheart, I really like him..... Valentin's an arseh0le" Ha!

Because he stutters.

Not sure that Chris was as well prepared as Vino always ensured he was during races. That team is filth.
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    According to la gazzetta dello sport the decision on Astana's future has been put back to 24 April.

Interesting article about Astana in today's Le Monde (with photos)

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/visuel/2015/04/02/cyclisme-astana-une-vie-a-l-ombre-du-dopage_4607990_3242.htm
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Totally agree.

Then the riders will be fighting even more for their career's/futures. Fighting for results in races where there is a lot less control.

Torku had to join the ABP program when they were conti, so there is precedence.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Letter from Nibali to the Licencing Commission written by his lawyer. It is very weak.

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/nibal ... ommission/
    Contador is the Greatest