Vino and the credibility of cycling

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Sky were after Nibali at their inception... might happen?
    No chance, he's older than Froome. I think they'd be more interested in Aru, who they have also shown interest in. But if they picked anyone up in a fire sale it would probably just be taking Cataldo back.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    Nibbles to play the super dom role for Froome! :lol:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Perfidious Albion up to her tricks again. If you can't beat them on the road, install your man in the corner office and take them down on an administrative technicality. (Massive :wink: )

Nibali to MTN, please.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Macaloon wrote:
    Perfidious Albion up to her tricks again. If you can't beat them on the road, install your man in the corner office and take them down on an administrative technicality. (Massive :wink: )

:lol::lol::lol:
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • No-one can join a World Tour* team between now and August 1st, can they?

*Or whatever it's called these days.
  • Macaloon
    This just confirms what the cognoscenti have known for some time: that Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid.
  • RichN95.
    No-one can join a World Tour* team between now and August 1st, can they?

I think they can if they are out of contract. In football you can sign non-contracted players outside the transfer window. (Happy to be proved wrong though - I don't actually know).
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:

I think they can if they are out of contract. In football you can sign non-contracted players outside the transfer window. (Happy to be proved wrong though - I don't actually know).

Pretty sure this is right, aye.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

My understanding of the UCI regulations on road races (2.15.120 onwards) is that transfer or recruitment can only take place during the transfer window. Out-of-contract in this sense doesn't come into it.

But it takes a team of lawyers to understand them things :D

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

My understanding of the UCI regulations on road races (2.15.120 onwards) is that transfer or recruitment can only take place during the transfer window. Out-of-contract in this sense doesn't come into it.

But it takes a team of lawyers to understand them things :D

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rule ... nglish.pdf

Think you may be right:

2.15.120 A UCI WorldTeam or licence applicant may only recruit riders during the transfer
    b period.
    For the purposes of this article «recruit» shall be deemed to mean concluding a
    contract with a rider to ride for the UCI WorldTeam or licence applicant’s team.

Then again, that only says WorldTeam, so pro-conti to sign him and apply for the spare licence/Wildcards?

edit: Nah, PC covered by that too.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Macaloon
    989D4DB6-62ED-4130-9452-367EF2A4436D_zpsyiunzqji.jpg

Oh nic...
  • Hmm. This is very poor by the UCI. They should have sorted this out well before the end of the year so that these riders have a fair chance of finding a team.

Only 1/3 of the team are worth having.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Hmm. This is very poor by the UCI. They should have sorted this out well before the end of the year so that these riders have a fair chance of finding a team.

So you blame the UCI for following their own rules and legal system, but no blame attached to Astana?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Hmm. This is very poor by the UCI. They should have sorted this out well before the end of the year so that these riders have a fair chance of finding a team.

So you blame the UCI for following their own rules and legal system, but no blame attached to Astana?

Exactly. They awarded the licence on condition of the audit being acceptable, and it isn't. An audit of this type takes time.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Hmm. This is very poor by the UCI. They should have sorted this out well before the end of the year so that these riders have a fair chance of finding a team.

This always seemed likely, listening to Cookson. He was determined to follow the rules, good or bad, so as not to end up with a Katusha situation again.
    The riders must have seen this too. They could have decided not to join Astana, but it doesn't mean they would have found work elsewhere.
  • If Nibali is able to join another WT team this season would BMC be the only one with the $ and the space (they had Evans in the 2015 squad but obv. he's just retired) to take him? Not sure what TJ VG would think tho....
    Might Trek are regret keeping Frank on if Nibbles comes up....
  • RichN95.
    If Nibali is able to join another WT team this season would BMC be the only one with the $ and the space (they had Evans in the 2015 squad but obv. he's just retired) to take him? Not sure what TJ VG would think tho....
    Might Trek are regret keeping Frank on if Nibbles comes up....
    Katusha maybe.
  • Good point - not sure what J-Rod's aims are this yr - he's still seen as a GT contender by some (and himself probably) but prob can't match the big names in the TdF now.

To be honest I think Astana will carry on racing under appeal and the CAS process will drag on well past the big races.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    At least we should throw them out of the PTP!
    Half man, Half bike
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Macaloon wrote:
    <image removed for reasons of decency>

Oh nic...
    Guilty by association. I'll hand my racing licence in right away... Hopefully I can still compete in multi-sport, is there any precedent for that...?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Nibali and his agency should have had an exit strategy worked out already.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    nic_77 wrote:
    Guilty by association. I'll hand my racing licence in right away... Hopefully I can still compete in multi-sport, is there any precedent for that...?

(It was an obscure reference to the suspect usuals greeting the news of Vino troubles, gleefully posting images of Froome. Collateral suspicion leaves quite splatter pattern.)
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    It's probably late August before their appeal against CAS has been processed anyway..
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Macaloon wrote:
    nic_77 wrote:

(It was an obscure reference to the suspect usuals greeting the news of Vino troubles, gleefully posting images of Froome. Collateral suspicion leaves quite splatter pattern.)

Yep, I saw Kimmage taking that route with a RT. He's got nothing on me though. I've never been to Tenerife or Mexico.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    At least Cookson is doing it, and doing it the right way. What will be will be, but this is a big step in the right direction. Hopefully if they do lose their licence then ASO won't offer them a wildcard and it'll go to a deserving team like Nippo ;)

RCS is a different kettle of fish entirely I would imagine.
  • gweeds
    So Kimmage thinks Froome is doping?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    durr!

( ;) )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gweeds
    He should just publish a list of those he doesn't think are. That would be shorter
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2015
    Gweeds wrote:
    So Kimmage thinks Froome is doping?
    If he's denouncing by association, someone should ask him how his good friend Tom Humphries is these days. Kimmage still mentions him from time to time - always in glowing terms.
  • Macaloon
    Superb Big Lebowski reference http://cyclocosm.com/2014/12/the-week-in-bike-48/

Note the date. Pretty good prediction.