Vino and the credibility of cycling

Comments

• Always good (for a laugh) to read the alternative viewpoint.
    The Clinic trolls have turned up to their "debate" en masse. (all 3)
    The good news is that the Earth remains flat: nothing has changed.
    Cookson just throwing "little" Astana under a bus to build up the image of the big teams such as Lampre and of course Team Satan. :roll: :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Gweeds wrote:
    So Kimmage thinks Froome is doping?
    If he's denouncing by association, someone should ask him how his good friend Tom Humphries is these days. Kimmage still mentions him from time to time - always in glowing terms.

I was thinking exactly the same thing earlier.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Always good (for a laugh) to read the alternative viewpoint.
    Cookson just throwing "little" Astana under a bus to build up the image of the big teams such as Lampre and of course Team Satan. :roll: :lol:

What's The Clinic?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    Ah - Cycling News - found it
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gweeds wrote:

What's The Clinic?

Well, you asked, just be careful when you enter.........

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Very interesting question just been asked on twitter.
    campyman99: @nyvelocity if a clean leader uses a doped team to win, is he still 'clean'?
  • gweeds
    Gweeds wrote:

What's The Clinic?

Well, you asked, just be careful when you enter.........

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Tin hats ahoy
  • gweeds
    Very interesting question just been asked on twitter.
    campyman99: @nyvelocity if a clean leader uses a doped team to win, is he still 'clean'?

Good question. As it's a team sports based on team-mates dying on the road for their leader, no.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552

I'd be surprised if this is relevant in this instance. But I don't have any proof so let's see what the report and charges say.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063

Ah, you've saved me the trouble of going over there. Are they still insisting that Cookson is the worst UCI President ever?

Having a reigning Tour champ (temporarily) without a team is a bit "not normal" as they say in the asylum, but this and CIRC will benefit the sport in the long run. I don't know Mr Cookson, but Martin Gibbs is an old clubmate (he won't remember me) and that reassures me that what the UCI are doing now is robust, thorough and correct (no more being burned at CAS as they were over Katusha).
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Macaloon wrote:
    Superb Big Lebowski reference http://cyclocosm.com/2014/12/the-week-in-bike-48/

Note the date. Pretty good prediction.

Cosmo on the money as usual.
  • gweeds
    From the clinic

'UCI with a British president promoting "clean cycling" is still furious about an evil doper taking away the gold medal from hard working, marginally gaining British athletes.'

What's the word I'm looking for here? Ah yes, it's a-hole.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Gweeds wrote:

Good question. As it's a team sports based on team-mates dying on the road for their leader, no.

This one has been doing the rounds for a while and of course answer is yes he's clean. Morally, it's up to you and your conscience, but that's another thing altogether :wink:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Next in the firing line, perhaps, Oleg puts a few 'reducers' on record.

Oleg Tinkov ‏@olegtinkov 4m4 minutes ago
    That isn't the way we want to compete w @vincenzonibali . UCI again confirms that it is full of mess and cycling need different management
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Gweeds wrote:
    From the clinic

'UCI with a British president promoting "clean cycling" is still furious about an evil doper taking away the gold medal from hard working, marginally gaining British athletes.'

What's the word I'm looking for here? Ah yes, it's a-hole.

Based on the clinic anyone who wins is a cheat. Although if you are good and don't win then you have been scared of getting caught and stopped cheating.

If you look like you are putting in effort on a climb you are cheating, no sign of effort obvious you are on PEDs and cheating
  • joelsim
    Macaloon wrote:

That isn't the way we want to compete w @vincenzonibali . UCI again confirms that it is full of mess and cycling need different management

Not entirely sure who's side our friend Mr Tinkov is on here!
  • Macaloon wrote:

Why, whenever he opens his tweet, do I get the impression he'd prefer Vino as president over Cookson? :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    Macaloon wrote:

Why, whenever he opens his tweet, do I get the impression he'd prefer Vino as president over Cookson? :roll:

Possibly because he knows his main star is doing exactly what Nibali is. Whatever that may be.

Interesting to note that there have been no tweets or fb posts from Astana for 10 hours.
  • iainf72
    Oleg is probably a bit sensitive as a similar situation could be about to happen with Mr Riis
  • joelsim
    iainf72 wrote:
    Oleg is probably a bit sensitive as a similar situation is about to happen with Mr Riis

FTFY :fp
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Worth a read for further insight into the "ethics" of Astana

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/02/ ... ort_361792
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Whatever his sensitivities, Oleg is doing a good job demonstrating on Twitter what a thoroughly nasty b'stard he really is.
  • gweeds
    He's a venal tosser. Horrible man who thinks he can buy anyone. Well fuck you and the horse you rode in on. Jonny come lately jizz trumpet.
  • Macaloon
    shazzz wrote:
    Whatever his sensitivities, Oleg is doing a good job demonstrating on Twitter what a thoroughly nasty b'stard he really is.

I'll take his admirable transparency over slick (sic) management speak anyday. Some of the greatest art of the 20th century came from Russia. It's baffling.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Macaloon wrote:
    shazzz wrote:

I'll take his admirable transparency over slick (sic) management speak anyday. Some of the greatest art of the 20th century came from Russia. It's baffling.

He is certainly transparent. I'd rather not see his anti Semitic bullying nonsense, though. It is a long way from being admirable.
  • Macaloon
    shazzz wrote:
    He is certainly transparent. I'd rather not see his anti Semitic bullying nonsense, though. It is a long way from being admirable.
    He's a monster. But at least we know he's a monster.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    He's a venal tosser. Horrible man who thinks he can buy anyone. Well fark you and the horse you rode in on. Jonny come lately jizz trumpet.

No sitting on the fence with that post, G! :lol:

DD.
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    iainf72 wrote:
    Oleg is probably a bit sensitive as a similar situation could be about to happen with Mr Riis

The last time a rider in a team led by Riis tested positive was in 2001. Not exactly Astana's situation.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    arnuf wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

The last time a rider in a team led by Riis tested positive was in 2001. Not exactly Astana's situation.

No, it's not. And I wouldn't compare Riis to Vino. I'm having a go at Riis whenever I can because 90% of my fellow countrymen buy into this smug's sh'it but I genuinely believe he has played by the rules since 08 or something like that.. Yeah, I know, marvelous achievement..
  • iainf72
    This is a pretty good read

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/02/ ... ort_361792

Vino does sound like a fairly terrible manager