How hard is the hour record?

13»

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    TimothyW wrote:
    Anyone interested in having a go might want to start by trying to match/best David Millar's unofficial Richmond Park one lap record:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... cord-51396
    13 minutes 35 seconds/47.63kmh.

And remember he did that as a one off bit of fun, rather than the months of preparation that go into an actual hour attempt.

The pro's are on a different planet to us mere mortals.

There are quite a few people that would be able to do that or better it in the amateur scene I think given a junior rider (a good one!) got within 30 secs of that time he did. But yes, for most people just cracking 20 mins round the park is an achievement.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, Laurens Ten Dam was big news for hitting 60.2 km h in the Tour of Britain in London...for 4.1km. Admittedly that was in filthy weather so may have been even faster on a nice dry sunny day, but that to me shows how hard the hour is.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    DaveP1 wrote:
    I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, Laurens Ten Dam was big news for hitting 60.2 km h in the Tour of Britain in London...for 4.1km. Admittedly that was in filthy weather so may have been even faster on a nice dry sunny day, but that to me shows how hard the hour is.
    But remember - it doesn't take 20% more power to go at 60 than 50, it takes around 70% extra power.
    I'm assuming that Ten Dam's speed involved drafting, gradient or wind assistance, because that's faster than the track 4km pursuit record.
  • okgo
    Exactly, nobody mentioned it as its not comparable or relevant.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    okgo wrote:
    In the same way that the OPs achievement of 19mph outdoors for an hour does not actually tell him anything very significant about how hard it would be to break the hour record.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Ai_1 wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    In the same way that the OPs achievement of 19mph outdoors for an hour does not actually tell him anything very significant about how hard it would be to break the hour record.

it tells you nothing...
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    okgo wrote:

I don't see why not? They're all top pro cyclists, as is LtD. LtD's effort was considered newsworthy by cycling websites; LtD spent under 15 mins at 60 km/h, and ok we don't know where he was in the bunch at that time.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    In terms of Wiggins and Martin having a go, anyone else think it would be cool to have them both try in different velodromes at the same time? Split screen it on the TV - a bit like a virtual pursuit...
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    cattytown wrote:
    In terms of Wiggins and Martin having a go, anyone else think it would be cool to have them both try in different velodromes at the same time? Split screen it on the TV - a bit like a virtual pursuit...

Or put them in the same 'drome and ride it as a 1hr pursuit.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Would be interesting to see how that played out tactics wise? Probably worth dropping half a lap and sitting on for the first half hour or so...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Imposter wrote:
    cattytown wrote:

Complete with elimination for a caught rider?
    Would be awesome to see them both cane it from the gun to try and catch the other. Thereby winning the hour pursuit without the need to ride in circles for a whole hour.
    Or maybe that's not quite you meant.
    Interesting question as to whether such a one on one pursuit would push them harder to achieve further or if it would interrupt their individual focus which is obviously a key strength for both riders.
  • okgo
    DaveP1 wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I don't see why not? They're all top pro cyclists, as is LtD. LtD's effort was considered newsworthy by cycling websites; LtD spent under 15 mins at 60 km/h, and ok we don't know where he was in the bunch at that time.

When you've ridden in a bunch of 200 riders you'll know why. It's only on cycling websites because they have to appeal to people who haven't ridden at a decent level or experienced just how fast it's possible to ride in a big bunch. So big numbers are the way they do it. It means nothing to what it's like riding solo in a controlled environment. I would think LTD would be beaten by some margin by the top amateur testers in the uk down a standard out and back course.
  • okgo wrote:
    DaveP1 wrote:
    okgo wrote:

When you've ridden in a bunch of 200 riders you'll know why. It's only on cycling websites because they have to appeal to people who haven't ridden at a decent level or experienced just how fast it's possible to ride in a big bunch. So big numbers are the way they do it. It means nothing to what it's like riding solo in a controlled environment. I would think LTD would be beaten by some margin by the top amateur testers in the uk down a standard out and back course.

+1

I remember a couple of years back Cancellara made big news as he was travelling at 80 Kmh in the flat during the Tour of Qatar... big bunch and strong tail wind.

If you look at the average speed of races which are mainly ridden in the bunch like Milan Sanremo or Paris-Tours, they are staggering... 45-47 Kmh for 6-7 hours

Soloing these numbers would be impossible
    left the forum March 2023
  • And Cipo's record - over 50kph for a nearly 200km stage. Surprised that one's still standing.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    And Cipo's record - over 50kph for a nearly 200km stage. Surprised that one's still standing.
    Simple, they didn't have an EPO test back then. :lol:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Wasnt there a TDF stage that stood for decades as the fastest ? As I recall a howling tailwind.

You can bet that Cipo only did about 500m on the front of that 200km anyway...
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    I tried for the hour last year and I managed it in 57 minutes and four seconds.

I think that record will stand for quite a while, but I don't like to brag.

For those interested in trying to beat my time, I ought to warn you that it really is jolly difficult.

You need to do training and stuff and you have to watch what you eat and your bicycle needs to be in good nick.

I hope my time is beaten one day, but I have to say that it will not happen soon.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Imposter wrote:
    cattytown wrote:

It would make it more interesting to watch but I'm sure having more than one rider on track would invalidate any hour record attempt. There would instantly be legitimate concerns that sharing the track would provide pacing and drafting advantages thus tainting it as a solo attempt.