The Steven Abraham watch thread

Comments

• js14
    js14 Posts: 198
    marcusjb wrote:
    Update from Steve's Facebook page:
    Photo may or may not work (from Facebook) - at least he's got his trademark grin! But, I am even more gutted for him if this does turn out to be someone over the limit and I hope the police/CPS are able to deal with the rider appropriately.
    Like everyone else who was following Steve's exploits, I wish him a full and speedy recovery.
    On the legal side, I am less confident. Remember what happend to that Porsche garage owner who knocked Bradley Wiggins off his bike?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    According to the email sent to donors last night, the surgeons will be getting their black and deckers out and rebuilding Steve this morning.

The team will then have some further information as to what the future holds towards the end of the week.

Heal well Steve!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,712
    Update posted on his website

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/2-uncate ... ve-is-back

Best wishes Steve.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,410
    Just hope the ankle holds together and gets better.

Good luck Steve.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,878
    :(

Shoot luck
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338
    Not bad for a one legged bloke on a trike...

http://www.strava.com/activities/286508009

He's back :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • marcusjb
    For those that haven't seen it/been following, Steve has been loaned a customised racing trike with a leg-rest on one side:

11150835_10206448794439392_5720509314602507900_n.jpg?oh=a2538cf3db2f998e3fe87a330f87fd10&oe=559DE808&__gda__=1440310637_6b8cd0506e7e9f39f24e1c1233cc5e5b

He will be riding this around Milton Keynes Bowl whilst his other leg heals - it's traffic free and he can ride around it for however many hours a day. This all counts towards his record bid.

He plans to start another record bid later in the summer - this will run concurrently with the current one (which will end at the end of the year).

I think all of this highlights just how determined he is (as if anyone in the long-distance world had any doubt!).

So, he'll be spending the next few weeks recovering by riding (hopefully) 100 or more miles a day!

2000+ Kudos for riding 50 miles at 10mph - goes to show how much Steve's endeavors mean to people! Amazing stuff and even less reasons for slacking off from getting on our bikes!
  • pinno
    How long before the ankle is healed to the extent he can put pressure on a pedal Marcus?
  • marcusjb
    From Steve's comments, I think it's a case of when it's ready.

I think, and hope, that whilst this record is of huge importance to Steve, he does accept that letting the ankle heal properly is essential to his future and he won't rush into getting back on a bike.

Hopefully the trike will allow him to rebuild some fitness and keep on getting in decent mileage. He did say that today's run was short because he had a hospital appointment.
  • He deserves a medal the size of a frying pan, record bid or not.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,338
    Last week or so has seen him averaging around 100 miles per day. Incredible. If I understand correctly, he's starting to train his leg up again, very gently, just stopping the muscle atrophying mainly.

It's still far short of what he needs for the record, especially given the time of year, but an amazing and inspiring effort.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • marcusjb
    Some very interesting rumours and judging from his tracker, there's a good chance he's on two wheels again!
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    marcusjb wrote:
    Some very interesting rumours and judging from his tracker, there's a good chance he's on two wheels again!

i saw steve yesterday and he was still on the recumbinant.
    Insert bike here:
  • marcusjb
    I reckon he's on a regular bike today.

And his potential destination looks interesting. I don't think he's going to do what starts there tomorrow, but I'd never rule anything out with Steve.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    velodrome for 1-legged hour record?
  • marcusjb
    Trouble is he's back with 2 legs now!

He appears to be heading towards Colchester way.

I'm rather hoping he's going to stay there, pop to the start of the 400km PBP qualifier there and say hello to friends etc., then ride back home.

I am sure he is perfectly capable of deciding what he can do - but if he's planning on riding the qualifier (I think he still wants to ride PBP for sure - he has a life goal of riding it at least 10 times (and it's only every 4 years)), then it seems a little early. But, as I said, he knows what he's doing - so it may be that he does ride the 400. Who knows?!
  • pinno
    All I can hear is the sound of the clock ticking... He's obviously a lot calmer than I am.
  • marcusjb
    No - his Twitter says he's on the trike, I was wrong! He has got a lot quicker again! Hurray!

It also says he is riding the 400km event.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Blimey. Good effort. Hope he holds up!
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,927
    423 miles in the last 24 hours. Amazing stuff especially given his injury.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • pinno
    On two wheels, not a recumbent?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Yeah he's back on the bike. He did the 602km Flatlands Audax on Sunday (http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-549/, but it looks like there's some variations and he did 681km, nearly London to Hull and back!!) then he capped that off with another 324km yesterday - 625 miles in 2 days!!! Absolutely unreal.

The first bit wasn't strictly speaking within 24 hours given his moving time for the audax was 27 hours - but 25km/h for 27 hours is pretty impressive in my book.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Yeah he's back on the bike. He did the 602km Flatlands Audax on Sunday (http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/15-549/, but it looks like there's some variations and he did 681km, nearly London to Hull and back!!) then he capped that off with another 324km yesterday - 625 miles in 2 days!!! Absolutely unreal.

The first bit wasn't strictly speaking within 24 hours given his moving time for the audax was 27 hours - but 25km/h for 27 hours is pretty impressive in my book.

Especially when his average heart rate was 88bpm!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    That's still the amazing thing about him and probably why he can do all those distances. That for the majority of the time he's basically 'resting'.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    That's still the amazing thing about him and probably why he can do all those distances. That for the majority of the time he's basically 'resting'.

I bet half the people in the country average more than Steve when they're just having a normal day.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,712
    Boxxox! Just missed him, drat. Was looking at the tracker earlier and wondered if he would come this way. He went down our street about an hour ago, while I was messing about de-ivying a gutter.

Anyway, respect and good to see him back on the big distances.
  • pinno
    Is he still gunning for the year record?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,878

Hopefully!
  • marcusjb

Whatever happens, he will hold the/a record on January 1st 2016. He was the first person to start the HAMR attempt, so will, technically be the first to hold the record, even if someone else has ridden further by that stage.

Of course, that is just technically. However, he will hold the record for his age category as he is the only one in that age bracket (below 49?).

Tommy Godwin is the marker that Steve is most motivated by I believe.

Steve is now riding strongly again, and it is possible for him to hit TG's record still, but it is a massive ask. But don't write Steve off - ever!

He will continue riding bigger distances now and, when the time is right, will start another HAMR attempt (running consecutively with his current one). This will also enable Steve to record his 100000 mile time accurately (I am not sure if any organisation will be willing to recognise it officially at this point, but it would still be a massive achievement to beat Tommy Godwin's record for that as well - 500 days exactly I believe).
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    marcusjb wrote:

Whatever happens, he will hold the/a record on January 1st 2016. He was the first person to start the HAMR attempt, so will, technically be the first to hold the record, even if someone else has ridden further by that stage.

Of course, that is just technically. However, he will hold the record for his age category as he is the only one in that age bracket (below 49?).

Tommy Godwin is the marker that Steve is most motivated by I believe.

Steve is now riding strongly again, and it is possible for him to hit TG's record still, but it is a massive ask. But don't write Steve off - ever!

He will continue riding bigger distances now and, when the time is right, will start another HAMR attempt (running consecutively with his current one). This will also enable Steve to record his 100000 mile time accurately (I am not sure if any organisation will be willing to recognise it officially at this point, but it would still be a massive achievement to beat Tommy Godwin's record for that as well - 500 days exactly I believe).

I for one will be at the NBRC TT at midnight to cheer him in. Guy is a legend.
    Insert bike here: