Gillette razor rip off!

seanoconn
seanoconn Posts: 11,410
edited January 2015 in The cake stop
Roughly a century or so, a man named King Gillette came up with and patented a way to manufacture double edge safety razors with replaceable blades. His business eventually boomed and he single-handedly put barbers across the country out of business as men began to shave themselves.

This is all well and good, many thanks but roughly a century later Gilltte have cornered the market with seemingly nowhere else to go. Replaceable blades that cost 10p to manufacture are sold to us at the extortionate price of £3.50!

Multi blades are a marketing gimmic. Let’s face it Gillette are excellent at marketing their products, they have pretty much convinced men that 3 blades are better than 1 and 5 blades are better than 3. They also spend millions of pounds on celebrity endorsements, with sports stars like Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, and Thierry Henry (who now wears a beard) fronting lavish TV and newspaper campaigns.

It was Gillete who first worked out that men would indeed fork out for overpriced cartridges as long as the initial cost, i.e. the handle, was affordable. It’s pretty much the same business model adopted by ink jet printer companies. Sell a cheap printer, then sell really expensive “cartridges” that run out quickly. It’s simple, but very effective.

Admittedly the latest models with names like 'Fusion Pro Glide Turbo Power (who can resist) do give an excellent shave but with blades so cheap to manufacture, why is there no serious competition? I can't afford to spend £20 a month on razors and I look like a tramp with a beard so I am considering alternatives.

What do you use? Are you happy with your shave and with the cost?
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited January 2015
    Dealt with a couple of years ago. viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12881827

Bin the overpriced tat and get a DE razor. Ignore the first few posts on it, which dwelt on cut-throats. DE is the way.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    I agree - huge rip off. Here's (possibly) their latest campaign:
    2014-07-23-09_05_30.jpg&h=157&w=300&z=0

I use twin bladed disposables - about 50p each and one lasts a week. While the wife's been away I've grown a beard....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Get yourself over to the traditional shaving thread.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • seanoconn
    That's the route I'm planning to take, I'm looking at this bad boy with Feather blades (Hattori Hanzo Japanese steel)
    24A18758-E719-4108-8E5B-8F7DE6DD9712_zpsj5oyj00w.jpg
    The Merkur 34c heavy duty, seems a popular choice. How are you finding your DE razor and how does it compare to expensive refills? Which badger brush and soap?
  • seanoconn
    Get yourself over to the traditional shaving thread.
    Link please
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    See above.

I need a better shaving foam and settle on a favourite blade. Using a mixed pack and actually really liked the gilette 7 oclock ones (or something). Derby (green pack) are a general favourite. Now on the Wilkinson and my bathroom looks like a scene from Psycho once I've finished.
  • lostboysaint
    edited January 2015
    Sean - make sure that you get a few multi-packs of blades from Traditional Shaving Co or somewhere similar. You'll be astounded at how much difference there is to the various blades. For example I really like both the Gillette 7'o Clock (Yellow) and the Wilkinson Sword and yet the guy above can't get on with the Wilkinson Sword. It's well worth experimenting.

And read this thread - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12881827&hilit=traditional+shaving
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • seanoconn
    coriordan wrote:
    See above.

I need a better shaving foam and settle on a favourite blade. Using a mixed pack and actually really liked the gilette 7 oclock ones (or something). Derby (green pack) are a general favourite. Now on the Wilkinson and my bathroom looks like a scene from Psycho once I've finished.
    Cut throat and traditional, same thing, got it now :D I'm on page 5 of 18, when you ignore the Kieron Burns posts it's quite informative :lol:
  • seanoconn
    Sean - make sure that you get a few multi-packs of blades from Traditional Shaving Co or somewhere similar. You'll be astounded at how much difference there is to the various blades. For example I really like both the Gillette 7'o Clock (Yellow) and the Wilkinson Sword and yet the guy above can't get on with the Wilkinson Sword. It's well worth experimenting.

And read this thread - http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12881827&hilit=traditional+shaving
    Thanks lbs.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    I've got the same razor as in the pic above and got 100 Derby blades for £7.99 off Fleabay. That's about 2 years supply. A lot of people find the feather blades too sharp, as do I. I'm trying shaving oil rather than foam or soap. It's really odd, but seems to work well.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Shaving is a complete pain as far as I'm concerned but luckily for me, not being a suit wearing type I get away with the rugged look for work, I do get stick from Mrs 77 who complains my face feels horrible but I'll live with that :lol:

The hair dresser that I go to says she's going to do the training for the cut throat type shaving so if I want a freebie while she trains she'd be happy to have a guinea pig, not sure that sounds like a good idea though :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,870
    I'm a feather man with a merkur :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    pah! Nat-cocking-West have just taken 80 squids from an account I never use because i went 10 overdrawn for a few days and didnt know about it!

Absolute raping cunstables!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    edited January 2015
    The thing about these multi-blade razors is they are fast, and idiot proof. Gillette are just putting a price on convenience.

oh and i like the fact mine vibrates.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    arran77 wrote:
    Shaving is a complete pain as far as I'm concerned but luckily for me, not being a suit wearing type I get away with the rugged look for work, I do get stick from Mrs 77 who complains my face feels horrible but I'll live with that :lol:

The hair dresser that I go to says she's going to do the training for the cut throat type shaving so if I want a freebie while she trains she'd be happy to have a guinea pig, not sure that sounds like a good idea though :shock:

I'd get her to practice on the guinea pig first and if it lives she could have a crack at you next..... :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • arran77
    The thing about these multi-blade razors is they are fast, and idiot proof. Gillette are just putting a price on convenience.

oh and i like the fact mine vibrates.

This threads about razors you pervert :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    ddraver wrote:
    pah! Nat-cocking-West have just taken 80 squids from an account I never use because i went 10 overdrawn for a few days and didnt know about it!

How do you go into the red in an account you never use? :?
  • ddraver
    Not entirely sure...I suspect I may have just handed the card over without thinking about it when I was back over Xmas....
    - @ddraver
  • I just buy a bunch of the disposable mach 3 ones when they are on offer in tesco. Work out not too expensive, last a reasonable period of time and they are much easier to use while semi conscious at 7am.
  • Anonymous
    I tend to shave after I get home, after a shower. Softens the hairs and makes it all easier. Also means I don't have my helmet strap rubbing on freshly shaved neck, which chafes like a beyath
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Ballysmate wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

How do you go into the red in an account you never use? :?

They add random fees like for example charging to write to you to tell you you haven't used the account, which then makes you overdrawn - it's a bank :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,548
    seanoconn wrote:
    That's the route I'm planning to take, I'm looking at this bad boy with Feather blades (Hattori Hanzo Japanese steel)
    24A18758-E719-4108-8E5B-8F7DE6DD9712_zpsj5oyj00w.jpg
    The Merkur 34c heavy duty, seems a popular choice. How are you finding your DE razor and how does it compare to expensive refills? Which badger brush and soap?

That's exactly what I use. Bought 2 years ago along with a sampler set of blades that I still haven't got through and which cost about £6.00. Soap wise I use Taylor's Jermyn Street (along with their after shave balm and styptic pencil). The shave takes a bit longer - I sometimes go for just 2 passes if I'm in a rush instead of 3 but basically changed my thinking to a shave being pampering rather than a chore - but feels far better. Not sure what make my brush is as it was a gift but I need to replace it. Of the blades I've tried I prefer the Derby Extra.
  • ddraver
    When my beard goes I'm buyin' one of them...
    - @ddraver
  • lostboysaint
    Oh, and Sean - different blades work with different razors. They'll all fit (standard size) but the shape/clamp etc. of the razor will make them slightly different from razor to razor. Thinking about it that might be why I get on with both the Gillette 7 O'clock (yellow) and the Wilkinson Sword (in my Edwin Jagger razor) whilst matey up the thread was moaning about his poor experience of the WS blades. It's all about the experimentation.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Anonymous
    Funny I use both in an Edwin jagger as well. Very happy with the gilette 7 o'clock but struggle with wilkinsons. Have bought some wool fat soap today so that may perform better than the penhaligons I'm using at present
  • I'd just bought a pack of 10 twin blades when my old Wilkinson Sword razor broke. I bought this; http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Twin-Blad ... zor_42126/
    mainly so the blades didn't go to waste but it works well and I'm still using it.
    Haven't tried it on my legs yet....
  • seanoconn
    Thanks guys, ive read all 18 pages of the original thread and I'm up to speed. I just need to scan the web for cheaper options than amazon.
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    Thanks guys, ive read all 18 pages of the original thread and I'm up to speed. I just need to scan the web for cheaper options than amazon.

I just clicked on that link and realised it was in Commuting :shock:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:

I just clicked on that link and realised it was in Commuting :shock:
    Beggars can't be choosers.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The chainstore BodyCare does 4 x Mach 3 blades for £6.29. Generally I've found 2 x 4 pcks from them cheaper than 1 x 8 from other stores (Bodycare only do 4 packs). Aldi do a cheap facsimile. Blades don't last as long but a lot cheaper - only fits their razor but still v.cheap. Also this

http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/gill ... tAodaU8AtQ
    M.Rushton