Wiggins

124»

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Personally, I don't see the point of having rules if, when the financial incentive is there, the governing body is happy to ignore them. They should write better rules if the current ones are inappropriate.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Personally, I don't see the point of having rules if, when the financial incentive is there, the governing body is happy to ignore them. They should write better rules if the current ones are inappropriate.

Well why does the rule exist? To stop teams having riders poached mid season, allowing them to have some form of predictability and continuity.

Enforcing that rule in the Wiggins case would have been purely for the sake of the rule itself, nothig to do with what the rule was attempting to achieve.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Out of interest, did anyone see Wiggins doing laps of Regent's Park this morning? I'd just entered the outer circle by Gloucester gate when this tall, skinny guy on a very flash bike flew past me with his hands on the tops looking like he was out for a Sunday spin. I wish I could say I caught him but the traffic lights came to my rescue and as I rolled in behind him I started ogling his Pinarello before I realised it was him. I managed to pull out ahead of him just as the lights were turning green, so for all of three seconds I was ahead! My greatest sporting achievement. 4 laps later he'd lapped me and my dream of a professional career was dead. Incredible how lean he was given that he's 6kg over his 2012 tour weight - inspired me to resist that biscuit with my coffee this morning :wink:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Rules is rules, yes. However rules also have a spirit and rules designed to stop riders being poached mid-season look stupid when considered alongside the example here - a rider choosing to move, after his final top class road race, from the first to third tier of cycling to ride for his own team.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Out of interest, did anyone see Wiggins doing laps of Regent's Park this morning?
    :shock: The geese were savage today as well. That's a top spot.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Out of interest, did anyone see Wiggins doing laps of Regent's Park this morning?
    Good Lord, Has he moved back to Kilburn then. ?
    He knows the safest place to train in London.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Macaloon
    Spectacular brace of plaques at Paddington Rec.

mws01s.jpg
    whguv8.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Macaloon wrote:

mws01s.jpg
    "Enjoyed the facilities". Isn't that a euphemism for "Took a dump"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:

It's not called Paddington Recreationals for nowt.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

mws01s.jpg
    :lol:

There's also a typo - a missed comma.
  • deejay
    Macaloon wrote:
    Spectacular plaque at Paddington Rec.

mws01s.jpg
    Long before Brad, I raced there and at Herne Hill.
    Monday Competition, Wednesday Open Meetings and some Open meetings on Saturdays at the Hill.
    Thursday Evenings and occasional Saturdays Opens at Paddington Rec.
    One Saturday Afternoon (before any of the above) we watched Reg Harris v Arie Van Vliet put on an "Exciting Sprinting Show" and then we dashed across London for the repeat performances in the evening at Paddington.

The bankings at Paddington were not as steep as the Hill and so you couldn't lean as much and some riders caught their pedal on the Concrete surface and came off. (a bit like riding in Belgium Flanders)
  • Macaloon
    deejay wrote:
    Long before Brad, I raced there and at Herne Hill.
    Monday Competition, Wednesday Open Meetings and some Open meetings on Saturdays at the Hill.
    Thursday Evenings and occasional Saturdays Opens at Paddington Rec.
    One Saturday Afternoon (before any of the above) we watched Reg Harris v Arie Van Vliet put on an "Exciting Sprinting Show" and then we dashed across London for the repeat performances in the evening at Paddington.

The bankings at Paddington were not as steep as the Hill and so you couldn't lean as much and some riders caught their pedal on the Concrete surface and came off. (a bit like riding in Belgium Flanders)
    Where's that fav button? Track centre these days is the domain of dogs called 'Achilles' and, worse, cricketers.
  • deejay
    Macaloon wrote:
    Where's that fav button? Track centre these days is the domain of dogs called 'Achilles' and, worse, cricketers.
    Yea, I know.
    Cycling today and they complain about a bit of snow and they only ride the track inside buildings with Air Conditioning. Poor little darlings.
    Swing the lamp again. !
    We did double harness pursuits from 8 stations around the track and went like Hell to catch the team in front or be caught by the team coming from behind. It was a draw from a hat to see what station you got.
    These pissy arse little indoor tracks could only have 4 stations now. (if they ever tried it)
    Ever seen a 1000 meter handicap race on the track, No of course not as they were before dogs called Achilles.

I was out of my chair with excitement when Boardman caught the German Leman to become Olympic Pursuit champion.
    Then some months later I began to wonder why I had got so excited when after all he had only caught him for the value of a quarter lap of an outdoor track - not very far is it, so don't Blink.
    The Air Conditioning is so warm it makes me ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ but I still like the performances in a 6 Day indoor track.

PS : what is a fav button. ???