Wiggins

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited March 2015 in Pro race
Laura Meseguer ‏@Laura_Meseguer · 2m2 minutes ago
Wiggins will leave Team Sky on april 2015 to prepare Rio 2016, says the team by official communication. His last race will be Paris Roubaix

Yeah, it could just go in the transfers thread - but there'll be a thread so may as well start it now.....
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    As much as I'm not a fan, is a shame to see that kind of talent not being used on the road.

But then, that's his style right? Do something, achieve it, however difficult, and move on to the next challenge.

Good for him. Shame for road cycling.
  • After being left out of the team for the 2014 Tour could it be any different? He's long made it down his next focus was Rio 2016.
  • Expect the road side between Compiengne and Roubaix to be jammed with Brits for this one.
  • So will he ever ride in his World Champ TT jersey? i predicted last year he might not, looks like i could be right! (although a bit gutted if he doesn't seeing how long it took to get)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    So will he ever ride in his World Champ TT jersey? i predicted last year he might not, looks like i could be right! (although a bit gutted if he doesn't seeing how long it took to get)
    De Panne must be a possibility and I would have thought he would do at least one early season stage race, several of which have TTs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    So will he ever ride in his World Champ TT jersey? i predicted last year he might not, looks like i could be right! (although a bit gutted if he doesn't seeing how long it took to get)
    De Panne must be a possibility and I would have thought he would do at least one early season stage race, several of which have TTs.

Thats what I'm hoping for.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Twitter says could ride a few classics this year.

Shame no use of WCTT jersey though
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    He's not the sort of guy to not do everything possible to make PR happen, although I will give him the biggest chapeau if he pulls this one off. To my mind he will do a few shorter stage races in preparation for the spring. He knows as well as anyone that you need race fitness not just training fitness, and I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get to show off his rainbows, that isn't in anyone's best interests especially the sponsors'.
  • rick_chasey
    Joelsim wrote:
    I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get to show off his rainbows, that isn't in anyone's best interests especially the sponsors'.

I reckon sponsors prefer their own colours to those of the UCI....

Anyway, who watches TTs that occur before April?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The amount of publicity Wiggo will get in a rainbow jersey for Sky is huge. The nation's hero...
  • I am hoping he uses the Ronde for training the week before
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    He can still wear his WC bands after his contract with Sky ends though? He'll probs be rocking up to a few local 10s decked out in full WC kit?!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    ach but that kit probably won't combine rainbow stripes with rapha stripes and sky logos...
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    dish_dash wrote:
    ach but that kit probably won't combine rainbow stripes with rapha stripes and sky logos...

I believe Rapha are supplying the kit to Team Wiggo, and Sky are set to have some involvement too apparently.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    He can still wear his WC bands after his contract with Sky ends though? He'll probs be rocking up to a few local 10s decked out in full WC kit?!
    Puzzled Question :- When does the Sky contract end and Team GB begin or to put it another way :- what's the difference ???.....Money perhaps :wink:
    He is a World Champion on Road and Track. (Olympics also)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    deejay wrote:
    Puzzled Question :- When does the Sky contract end and Team GB begin or to put it another way :- what's the difference ???.....Money perhaps :wink:
    He is a World Champion on Road and Track. (Olympics also)
    His contract with Sky ends soon after Paris-Roubaix. And as the contract is complete he should be able to move to his new Wiggins team without having to wait for the August transfer window.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

I believe Rapha are supplying the kit to Team Wiggo, and Sky are set to have some involvement too apparently.

The mock-ups of the kit seem to display Sky on them I think.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... rca-150726
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    His contract with Sky ends soon after Paris-Roubaix. And as the contract is complete he should be able to move to his new Wiggins team without having to wait for the August transfer window.
    Yup, got it now.
    I missed the Team Wiggins bit previously. :oops:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    If he pulls off the win at P-R, what would we call him?

Mercx has based cyclist ever, Vos has most varied Palmares...

Most varied uniquely Male Palmares of his generation?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    I am hoping he uses the Ronde for training the week before

So do I. He did a fantastic ride in Flanders last year, looked really comfortable when I saw him.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    So that's it then.

Wiggins never has to ride up a hill again...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    So that's it then.

Have I missed something?

He's down to ride Paris-Nice, which has the occasional lump in it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    So that's it then.

>Obligatory "it's the coming back down that's the problem" post<
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    If he pulls off the win at P-R, what would we call him?

Mercx has based cyclist ever, Vos has most varied Palmares...

Most varied uniquely Male Palmares of his generation?

If he did, it's go

All time greats (Merckx, Hinault,LeMond Armstrong etc)
    Wiggins
    Everyone else
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited February 2015
    If he wins PR will he be the only rider to have his only one day race win be a monument?

*excluding national titles
    **assuming he doesn't win anything else

EDIT - nope Andy Schleck
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Probably.

Which makes it so unlikely he will.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    If he wins PR will he be the only rider to have his only one day race win be a monument?

EDIT - nope Andy Schleck

Depends if he wins a one-day race in the lead up doesn't it? ;)
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • If he wins PR will he be the only rider to have his only one day race win be a monument?

EDIT - nope Andy Schleck

What about Oliver Zaugg?
  • rick_chasey

EDIT - nope Andy Schleck

What about Oliver Zaugg?

Lombardy doesn't count anymore does it really ;).

Unless Dan Martin wins it or something.