BR London/Surrey ride

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited April 2015 in Pro race
Right you lot.

Have had a few requests from the London lot that we/I should arrange a Pro-race bikeradar ride.

I suggest doing a classic London/Surrey hills route. Flat enough for the lard arses to not whine too much, a couple of hills where I can beat you all, and a nice run through a bunch of roundabouts where you can pick up some speed c.50km and sprint for the bus stop. It goes over two hills, Effingham and Box Hill << where we will have a cake stop.

http://www.strava.com/activities/224766779

It's roughly 90km from my house in Fulham, and probably more like 75km round trip from Richmond Park, where I'd suggest we meet.

it's not that strenuous - it's considered the newbie ride route for the Kingston Wheelers, and I've actually taken out DDRaver on the same route and he didn't moan (even when I got a puncture).

Let me know who's up for it and we can pick some dates & times. It will be a weekend.

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    I'm in.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I can confirm it's a nice route and that Rick is not a Psycho*...

*if he were, he's so small that a passing 8 yr old could 'ave him anyway... ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    he's so small that a passing 8 yr old could 'ave him anyway... ;)

How long was I waiting for you at the top?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    ddraver wrote:

Sorry, I can't make it. However, I'd just like to point out that, having recently had a post moved for being in the wrong section unless you're all pros this is in the wrong section and I am going to report you to the moderators. :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • ddraver
    ddraver wrote:
    he's so small that a passing 8 yr old could 'ave him anyway... ;)

How long was I waiting for you at the top?

Unfortunately I don't start feeling warmed up until the 76th km, but you wanted to go home then so... :P
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    pottssteve wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Sorry, I can't make it. However, I'd just like to point out that, having recently had a post moved for being in the wrong section unless you're all pros this is in the wrong section and I am going to report you to the moderators. :wink:

Some moderators are more active than others, shall we say...
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Some moderators are more active than others, shall we say...

It's the old question - who polices the police? :wink:
  • rick_chasey
    The owners...
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    I post little, and most of it is dross, but the opportunity to go for a day oot and have a ride in places I've never been before does appeal, so I'm fairly likely to put in an appearance. Won't influence the date, I'll just see if I can turn up when it is finalised.
  • rick_chasey
    OK 4 so far, since DDraver will come.

If we get 2 or 3 more we'll have a nice group.
  • ddraver
    I won't make it, living in The Netherlands and all...

Sorry if I misled
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    You're back in the Hague?

Fair enough. Where abouts?
  • dish_dash
    Can we get FF out on a ride in his natty socks?

DDraver - sure we can't tempt you over for a weekend ride ;-)
  • ddraver
    Yep, back at the same job as before for a 6 month contract. Living close to the Plein still but in the red "brick" flats by Centraal Station in a flat bought by my rich expat Shell friend...
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    dish_dash wrote:

Yes I would be up for it but I don't cycle when it is cold or wet! Therefore I could come along if it was (or next versions of it) were later in the year. By then it will give me time to get my legs back (it has been cold or wet for the last two months).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    I normally go the Kent side of London but could probably make it down (from Elephant).
  • ddraver
    dish_dash wrote:

DDraver - sure we can't tempt you over for a weekend ride ;-)

With enough of an advance warning I could be...

Should have joined that bloody Rapha Club!
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    phreak wrote:
    I normally go the Kent side of London but could probably make it down (from Elephant).

Excellent.

We can make it a fairly social time too.

---

I'm actually fairly busy in Jan so Feb might be better - or if you lot are all wusses we can wait till late March?

Or do both?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    dish_dash wrote:

Yes I would be up for it but I don't cycle when it is cold or wet! Therefore I could come along if it was (or next versions of it) were later in the year. By then it will give me time to get my legs back (it has been cold or wet for the last two months).

:shock:

That reads like a BR suicide note! :lol: The would be Sean Kellys of the forum are going to eat you alive!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    dish_dash wrote:

Get your legs back riding with us ;).

Don't worry, the first two times I beat you uphill won't have to count.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I'd be tempted by this. Been meaning to do some rides in Surrey, as I normally ride Kent as well.

Feb/March should be fine.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • ddraver
    dish_dash wrote:

In Rapha...
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    dish_dash wrote:

:shock:

That reads like a BR suicide note! :lol: The would be Sean Kellys of the forum are going to eat you alive!

Lol, well I've never been keen on getting my clothes and bike wet and mucky and after all I ride for enjoyment and to keep in shape - I am not in training for anything so have the luxury of riding in conditions I find enjoyable...freezing my extremities, being careful on the corners, lack of visibility and increase in bad driver behaviour don't make for desirable conditions imo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

In Rapha...

Of course.

In summer I'll beat you in my newly bought pro-team jersey (Grey and pink, natch).

In spring I'll wear my classic rapha black jersey with matching white arm warmers and my new 3/4s pro bibs which I bought off a pro.

In winter I'll do it in my rapha USA country jersey I got as a freebee from my boss.

All weather conditions covered ;).
  • rick_chasey
    Ah come on Frenchie! Come out with us!

I'm aiming for a dry one too if I can. P!ssing rain isn't fun for a social jaunt which this one will be.

If it's dry you should be able to manage the cold. If not, I know a great website with kit that will sort you out no problem. http://www.rapha.cc/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I'll keep an eye on the date and might join.

Dem roundabouts...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    Lol, well I've never been keen on getting my clothes and bike wet and mucky and after all I ride for enjoyment and to keep in shape - I am not in training for anything so have the luxury of riding in conditions I find enjoyable...freezing my extremities, being careful on the corners, lack of visibility and increase in bad driver behaviour don't make for desirable conditions imo.

but that's all the good bits.
  • pottssteve
    The owners...

Ah, but who polices the owners....?
  • dish_dash
    pottssteve wrote:
    The owners...

Ah, but who polices the owners....?

Some would say the market...