Fred Whitton advise

2»

Comments

• In reply to the OP's original question '2. Should I bother?' my answer is NO.
    I could just about bring myself to do the FW if I was paid to.
    The Lake District is just not cycling country.
    Ridiculous gradients make both ascending and descending deeply unpleasant.
    Going down stuff like Hardknott and Honister, on top of the steepness, you've got narrow, bumpy tarmac, and often sheep, and probably rain - it just means you're on the brakes constantly, it's grim IMO.
    The Lakes are for walking, climbing and fellrunning - leave the bike at home.
  • ^^ I've entered now so can't leave the bike at home :) I've done plenty of walking and fell running in the Lakes so see where you're coming from, but old age and infirmity means bikes the way forward for me these days and I love the Lakes. Surely the FW is about 'the challenge'? I remember some fell races being a bit grim at times mind :)

Steve.
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    In reply to the OP's original question '2. Should I bother?' my answer is NO.
    I could just about bring myself to do the FW if I was paid to.
    The Lake District is just not cycling country.
    Ridiculous gradients make both ascending and descending deeply unpleasant.
    Going down stuff like Hardknott and Honister, on top of the steepness, you've got narrow, bumpy tarmac, and often sheep, and probably rain - it just means you're on the brakes constantly, it's grim IMO.
    The Lakes are for walking, climbing and fellrunning - leave the bike at home.

It's called the Fred Whitton Challenge for a reason. The difficulty is what attracts people; from beginners who just want to get round, to those aiming for a sub-7 hour time. Negotiating the steep climbs and descents is integral to the challenging nature of the ride.

The views are breathtaking, the roads (apart from the A-road to Keswick) are largely traffic-free and the support/marshalling make the event feel special.

It does rain a lot though. I'll give you that.
  • I'm quite on board with challenges.
    But for me, the actual riding has to be enjoyable, however long and hard the efforts are.
    Some people might be very keen on endurance pogo stick events but pogo-ing up and down Chesil Beach, most of them would probably say is a bit daft.
    Like, Hinault described Paris-Roubaix as a 'race for dickheads', for very similar reasons.
    (Not saying anyone here is a dickhead by the way!)
    Grinding your smallest gear at 30rpm just aint cycling for me, no matter what the view is.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    You have a point, I think Hardknott almost spoils the FW rather than makes it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I've been holding off this... I've done 10 Whitton's and some decent times, grew up in the lakes and my big bits of advice are as follows

1. There is no flat. There is uphill and there is downhill. Don't be waiting for a flat bit to eat and drink.
    2. Its the hills nobody tells you about that kill you. The likes of Fangs Brow, Croasedale, Irton Pike etc. You look at a profile and think you've got 6 monsters and a few lumps, but you need to be prepared for about 15 decent sized climbs.
    3. Get a group after Kirkstone and stick to it until the foot of Honister. You'll reap the benefits later.

Hope that helps!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • nammynake
    nammynake Posts: 196
    Tip 2 above is the key one. Everyone worries about the big three of Honister, Hardknott and Wrynose, but there are many climbs in between. Pace yourself.

Disagree on "no flat" though, there's plenty - 5 miles plan flat along Ullswater, 5 miles from Keswick to Honister and the final 8 or so miles are pretty flat.
  • nammynake wrote:
    Tip 2 above is the key one. Everyone worries about the big three of Honister, Hardknott and Wrynose, but there are many climbs in between. Pace yourself.

Disagree on "no flat" though, there's plenty - 5 miles plan flat along Ullswater, 5 miles from Keswick to Honister and the final 8 or so miles are pretty flat.

I'd agree with Ullswater, but along the Borrowdale road to Keswick theres a couple of annoying lumps and the surface is appalling. The final 8 miles 3 climbs as I recall, although the last 3 or so is a net downhill although either way, I think the damage is done by then!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    nammynake wrote:

Quite... you have four / five miles rolling from Grasmere down to Ambleside, turn up Holbeck Lane and bang! and there's little respite until you get to the top of Kirkstone. The drag up over Matterdale Common was another good 'un. Honister got me, I found that the worst of the Big Three. I may only have done it the once but I would advise any virgins to practise some low cadence efforts beforehand, that was what scuppered me up Honister. I'd done 20% climbs in the North York Moors OK but 30%, jeez... even with a 30x25 bottom gear it was a torturous grind. I'll do it again next year but get my legs more accustomed to working at 50-60 cadence beforehand.

It's a great event, enjoy...
  • Going to have a crack at the chimney tomorrow, first time on a road bike. Setting off from Hutton le hole, taking in Blakey bank and the chimney then over to Stape and Egton bridge before a second ascent of the chimney to finish. Should get the climbing muscles working.... hope I get up ok :?

Steve.
  • Good confidence building ride today, did the chimney twice plus Blakey, cropton, wheeldale and Egton bridge. 7000' of climbing over 53 miles. Feel a lot better about tackling the FW now.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I did it last year and I discovered my training was woefully inadequate. I was doing about 120 miles a week on commuting and a 60-70 mile weekend ride. If I did it again I'd can the weekend ride and just do hill reps - but Surrey is not renowned for 25% gradient climbs. I walked up the 2nd half of Hardknott as I just didn't have the legs/gears and also struggled on Wrynose

One thing I did not appreciate was the descents - absolutely appalling in the wet. I saw a few offs on the back of Hardknott

I was done in just under 9 hours and I reckon I could get it down to 8 if I did it again. Which I won't
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer