5 grand to spend on a bike.

124»

Comments

• Quite the reverse - there are events in the US that have banned carbon rims because of heat-induced failures on long descents with rim brakes.

It was one US Gran Fondo - the Levi Dopeheimer - that 'advised' riders not to use 'carbon clinchers'.

There's several that have been posted on the Volagi FB group that outright banned carbon clinchers (you can imagine that disc riders are a bit smug about it)

Ride tubs then ;-) [Edit - that would cause disc rider's heads to implode]

• Ride tubs then ;-) [Edit - that would cause disc rider's heads to implode]

Ha! ***BOOM!!!*** :D

Actually, I think they banned carbon rims full-stop in at least one I saw. Fortunately, Volagi's standard wheels are reasonably lightweight alloy rims (no need for a brake track helps)
    disc rider's heads
    - what, BOTH heads??? :shock: :wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • I think if I was spending £5,000 on a bike, I would still look at the custom route. You could get a fantastic bike from Independent Fabrication or Seven and it could be built with exactly your specifications. No need to miss out on custom just because you are having a steel bike built. I would like at TI which is very good for the UK climate, and if designed and built right, will be sublime.
  • Jamie, thanks for the input. Ti really doesn't excite me I'm afraid and a Ti/ Carbon mix doesn't do anything. Those two companies build very nice frames, but they aren't for me.

I think for my budget, if it was going to be metal, I'd build a fully tricked up CAAD10 - Electronic Dura Ace, carbon clinchers etc etc or just drop 2.5 grand on the Canyon Ultimate Al Aero.

I'm pretty set on carbon for no other reason than that is what I would like. My brain is scrambled. In the new year I'm going to test ride a Gallium, a CAAD 10, go and see Phil at Aprire, test ride a Tarmac and investigate a C59/ C60 and a Legend or Parlee then go from there. The cost of the frame will dictate what I spend on parts. I would be happy with either mechanical or electric Ultegra or DA. I favour Shimano over Campag for no other reason than I haven't used Campag yet. My favourite wheels are Ksyrium SLRs but I'd like to try a carbon clincher. We shall see what happens. PLease keep your suggestions coming.

Ben
  • If I had 5K to spend on a bike:

Firstly I would make sure that the place I was buying from (A shop rather than the internet) could offer a decent bike fit. How a bike fits makes a huge difference on how a bike feels and performs.

If I were to look for an endurance bike (for comfort rather than aero), then I would look at the Bianchi Infinito C.V. It is a super comfortable bike, but it is also used as pro set up, so it has a bit of a kick to it.

If you go to decent bike shop, they will be able to offer you off the peg options or a custom build option.

Mike
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen Storck mentioned.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    6wheels wrote:
    Unless I've missed it, I haven't seen Storck mentioned.

Please don't mention Storck. You don't need to know about them.
  • - Crumpton
    - Parlee (if not already mentioned)
    - Guru (Phaeton is sick light & exclusive)
    - or find an old steel San Rensho or Gios (I like blue) or check out Yamaguchi, no one will have one: http://www.yamaguchibike.com/content/Index

- Cyclefit talk some sense (yes, it happens http://cyclefit.co.uk/bikes ) on their thoughts re: stock vs custom geometry. BTW I believe Hampsten was not on a Serotta but a Landshark. The lore is that the team broke the Serottas quite often.

Few really "need" custom but several on here have explained very succinctly why it's desirable.
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    I finally made a decision. I'm going to build a bike around the Tarmac S-works Disc Module including Dura-Ace Di2, and 3T finishing kit.

Thanks for all the input.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Sounds great. Look forward to seeing pics of it in the 'Your Road Bikes' section.