Etape du Tour 2015

124»

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    They're leaving it very late to issue them as quite a few people will have headed out to the alps by then.

surely they could have issued them a couple of weeks ago?
  • JoS2000
    JoS2000 Posts: 5
    The convocations are out now...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Looks stunning, but little shelter if the sun's blazing! http://stories.strava.com/ltape-du-tour-2015
  • Dorset_Boy
    Early forecast is around 28 degrees in the valley I think.
    Far more manageable than for the Marmotte
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Early forecast is around 28 degrees in the valley I think.
    Far more manageable than for the Marmotte

And of course the final climb isn't as brutal.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    Info has just gone up about the start and finish arrangements.

Sign-in and number collection is up the top of the last climb. Looks like there is parking at the start, and the road is open to go up and down to the finish.

My decision is around early morning logistics. I'm travelling down in my camper van with the family (and then have a holiday afterwards). Plan is to park overnight Saturday night. We either

* Park at the start town, and once the family get up they drive up to the finish and wait for me.
    * Park at the finish (after collecting my number) and I ride down the last climb early morning. Looks to be all downhill down, but could take an hour or so and I'm not sure I fancy that. What do people reckon?
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • torico
    torico Posts: 67
    I would wait and see what the weather is doing. At the moment it looks like afternoon storms. Personally I would park down the bottom for more atmosphere and it won't feel quite so much like an out of season ski resort ( which it is)
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    I would wait and see what the weather is doing. At the moment it looks like afternoon storms. Personally I would park down the bottom for more atmosphere and it won't feel quite so much like an out of season ski resort ( which it is)

I'm thinking park overnight Saturday night somewhere in the town, so I'm ready for the start. Then my wife and kids can drive up to the finish when they fancy, and make use of the Etape Village (and catch the Tour on the big screens etc), and hopefully see me over the line. IF I make it (feeling very nervous at the moment).
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Dorset_Boy
    We're staying in Le Corbier and will probably roll down the mountain in the morning, something I'm sure a lot of others will do too. It's 17 kms from La Toussuire and 14 kms from Le Corbier, so shouldn't take long at all.

Remember that there will be a road open to La Toussuire all day which isn't the route the Etape takes up the mountain.

Possible thunderstorms on Sunday by the look of it!
    http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/fontcouverte-la-toussuire/73300
    http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/saint-jean-de-maurienne/73300
  • mcvw
    mcvw Posts: 270
    elbowloh wrote:
    Mid 8000s for me.

Although, most of the people I was going with have now dropped out. I've not ridden much this year for various reasons and now debating whether I'm ready!

With 4600m of climbing, you'd better hope you are ready......not to be under estimated.....
    Think it's closer to 4000.

I did it last year in the Pyrenees, which was 3500m, but the weather was atrocious and let's just say I had to resort to Imodium in order to ride...

I rode the course yesterday afternoon - it's 4600m depending on the GPS unit - but longer. My unit was out of charge but my friend measured 145km. The route is extremely hard. I'd ridden the GFNY Ventoux on Sunday and the Etape route made that feel like a spin around Richmond Park. Both days were extremely hot. The descents on the EDT are very very technical (one corner coming down the Chaussy is still mud and wash-out; we had to carry our bikes); there's kilometre after kilometre of narrow, tight, off camber steep descending. If it's wet it will be carnage. Even in the dry it was sketchy.

I'm a shite descender and seeing the recent youtube's of the routes downhill stretches - and now reading the above I'm starting to get proper nervous/anxious. And if it rains then I'm toast - I'll be walking down Mollard - or may just wait for the broom wagon!! :cry:
    2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
    On One 4560b
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
  • petlor70
    petlor70 Posts: 1
    Did anyone notice how hot it got during the day?
    The forecast said something like 28 but I'm curious what it actually turned out to be.
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    My garmin was saying 36

Tough day out in the heat and Mollard harder than expected
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    I didn't look to see what temp it was. It was far cooler than the Marmotte but still a hot day on the bike. I started to cramp probably due to taking in not enough fluid. Cramp only lasted for a min or two, first time ever!
    Looking forward to the pro's riding the stage tomorrow!
  • Dorset_Boy
    39 degrees at bottom of final climb by my Garmin, and heard others report 40-42 in St Jean de Maurienne.
    7 hrs 39 min total time with 6 hrs 44 mins moving for me.
    My Garmin only registered about 4,400m of climbing and not the official 4,600m, and saw some wildly inaccurate figures from phone apps!

Followed up with excellent week riding the Lacets, Chaussy again, Madelaine, Telegraphe, Galibier and of course up to Le Corbier a couple of times.
    Watched stage 18 at top of the Lacets, stage 19 in Le Corbier and stage 20 on turn 1 on the Alpe.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Was really tough. Late 30s for me on the last climb.

The ranking/timings annoyed me this year.

The last few years they have combined all the climbs and all the descents and given rankings for both.

This year it was the totally pointless sprint. And the Glandon (which was good)

Gutted, wanted to see my descending ranking.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Managed a 7.29 official time, 7.00 moving time. I lost about 15 mins having punctured about 8km from the top. Getting going after that was tough, particularly as the Garmin was registering 42 degrees!

The last couple of kms on the Glandon were the toughest though. And the pros looked fairly whacked coming over that on Friday...

Hope everyone made it through the day ok. Tough with the hot weather and I gather there were quite a few crashes as well. Air Ambulance called out twice and saw several people being treated by the side of the road including a couple in neck braces/backboards...
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    First time in the Alps (or mountains anywhere near that size for that matter) and first time riding in that sort of heat made it by far my most challenging ride to date.

Really struggled with cramp from about halfway up the Glandon to the finish. I was a physical and emotional wreck by the last 3km. I was so out of it, i left my helmet/glasses/gloves on the floor at the Pasta Party... Bugger. I went back on Monday to the lost-property bin, but alas, they were gone.

Overall, glad i did it and very proud, but the heat mixed with some very questionable riding from others made it rather hateful while i was actually doing it.

Probably won't bother doing it again, but will definitely get back to the Alps when its a little less busy.

8hrs34m btw. Nibali is not going to lose sleep.

This guy sums up the day pretty well: http://road.cc/content/feature/158762-turn-hot-tape