Etape du Tour 2015

Comments

• diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Mid 8000s for me.

How do you find out what the cut off times are?
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I don't think it is published yet.

I expect the schedule to appear on the web site, and in the paperwork you get when you register. Last year it was a total of 10 hours for the last wave, but they were generous about the last climb as long as you got to it within the schedule. If you go to the letapedutour.com web site and look at last year's results you will see both a surprising number of slow times with early numbers, but I see starter 10092 finished in 11.01.01.

Paul
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Thanks Paul. I will have a look at those times
  • I have an ASO accommodation package for sale which I am no longer using (not the race entry though) offers welcome.
    gpam@oundleschool.org.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Mid 8000s for me.

Although, most of the people I was going with have now dropped out. I've not ridden much this year for various reasons and now debating whether I'm ready!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    elbowloh wrote:
    Mid 8000s for me.

Although, most of the people I was going with have now dropped out. I've not ridden much this year for various reasons and now debating whether I'm ready!

With 4600m of climbing, you'd better hope you are ready......not to be under estimated.....
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh wrote:
    Mid 8000s for me.

With 4600m of climbing, you'd better hope you are ready......not to be under estimated.....
    Think it's closer to 4000.

I did it last year in the Pyrenees, which was 3500m, but the weather was atrocious and let's just say I had to resort to Imodium in order to ride...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • denkfaul
    denkfaul Posts: 39
    Broom wagon cut off times are up: http://netstorage.lequipe.fr/ASO/egp/letape-du-tour/2015/parcours/EDT15_PARCOURS_BD.pdf

No idea what the starting times are, so it doesn't mean a huge amount at the moment.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,567
    I'm numbered in the 4000s...

Anyone sorted their medical certificate? My local GP said it would cost me £20 to get it signed. Is that normal?
  • denkfaul
    denkfaul Posts: 39

Anyone sorted their medical certificate? My local GP said it would cost me £20 to get it signed. Is that normal?

That's pretty normal, as it's not covered by the NHS. 4 of us in our group have had different results with the docs so far - one was signed on the spot for £10, another had basic tests (blood pressure / heart rate) for £70, I've had to book in an ECG for next week and will be paying £20, and another had to get an ECG and blood test done, after which the GP signed the form saying a complete and total test wasn't done.
  • dish_dash

That's pretty normal, as it's not covered by the NHS. 4 of us in our group have had different results with the docs so far - one was signed on the spot for £10, another had basic tests (blood pressure / heart rate) for £70, I've had to book in an ECG for next week and will be paying £20, and another had to get an ECG and blood test done, after which the GP signed the form saying a complete and total test wasn't done.

Hmmm thanks. I'll see how we go...
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    16 of us going out, huge spread of bib numbers, how they do arrange pens and what scope for starting together?

Low 3000s for me
  • torico
    torico Posts: 67
    The start should be something like this based on the last 2 etapes
    0-1000 bibs will set off at 7.00am. all subesquent pens will set off in groups of one thousand
    The pens are grouped into a thousand riders and there is a bit of a gap to get the pens all on the road. There is the ability to go in a group together if you have been assigned different pens/bibs However you have to go with the later bib number/pen

if you are in bib number 8000 I would expect to depart after 8.00am I would imagine this year the gaps between pens will be significant to avoid any delays up the first climb. Im in the 4th wave with a bib in the 3000s I would expect to leave at about 7.30 but none of this is confirmed ( just my bib)
  • jsutty
    jsutty Posts: 27
    Tip re: medical certificates - I've got mine for free for the Etape, Marmotte and Maratona by simply booking in for a check up (don't tell the reception what you need). Once you get into the surgery, the GP SHOULD be so happy that they have a fit healthy person, who only wants a form stamping (and thus a quick and easy appointment) that they will do it for free. There are exceptions of course, but from my experience this is the way to get it done for free. As soon as you start involving any administrators in the process then the fees appear.
  • paul2718
    My GP didn't charge last year, I just dropped the form in and collected it a few days later. So that's set a precedent...

We'll see in a day or so.

Paul
  • dish_dash
    Tip re: medical certificates - I've got mine for free for the Etape, Marmotte and Maratona by simply booking in for a check up (don't tell the reception what you need). Once you get into the surgery, the GP SHOULD be so happy that they have a fit healthy person, who only wants a form stamping (and thus a quick and easy appointment) that they will do it for free. There are exceptions of course, but from my experience this is the way to get it done for free. As soon as you start involving any administrators in the process then the fees appear.

Interesting... I'll explore that one! ta
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I presented my medical certificate for a race in France on Saturday - the teenage girl didn't even take it out my hand, just a cursory 1 second glance.......
  • elbowloh
    16 of us going out, huge spread of bib numbers, how they do arrange pens and what scope for starting together?

Low 3000s for me
    Depends on the steward who is monitoring the entrances to each pen. Some were pretty strict others not at all. I did see people climbing over fences once in the pen and lifting their bikes over, which was fairly easy, but maybe not if you're crossing few pens!

http://www.letapedutour.com/ET1/us/starting_areas.html
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    Mid 8000s for me.

I did it last year in the Pyrenees, which was 3500m, but the weather was atrocious and let's just say I had to resort to Imodium in order to ride...

Me too. I would gladly ride up Tourmalet again than ride down it in that rain from last year. Freezing cold, fingers numb, legs cramping up, too much water for brakes to be really effective.

Shame, as up to the foot of Tourmalet the weather was lovely and I was really enjoying it & once I got down to the feed station at the bottom of T it brightened up and I had a lovely ride through the valley
  • Tip re: medical certificates - I've got mine for free for the Etape, Marmotte and Maratona by simply booking in for a check up (don't tell the reception what you need). Once you get into the surgery, the GP SHOULD be so happy that they have a fit healthy person, who only wants a form stamping (and thus a quick and easy appointment) that they will do it for free. There are exceptions of course, but from my experience this is the way to get it done for free. As soon as you start involving any administrators in the process then the fees appear.

I did this too. Receptionist quoted me £50 for checkup. So I called back a couple of days later and booked a normal appointment. Dr just filled it (the form) in and signed it. GP I suspect also quite happy because they have 10 minutes or whatever for an appointment and by the time she got to me she was running behind (as always). Getting me in and out in 1 minute is probably worth a lot more to her personally than faffing around with a full healthcheck and getting a small fee which just goes straight into central government coffers anyway
  • sancho_panza
    sancho_panza Posts: 183
    elbowloh wrote:
    Mid 8000s for me.

I rode the course yesterday afternoon - it's 4600m depending on the GPS unit - but longer. My unit was out of charge but my friend measured 145km. The route is extremely hard. I'd ridden the GFNY Ventoux on Sunday and the Etape route made that feel like a spin around Richmond Park. Both days were extremely hot. The descents on the EDT are very very technical (one corner coming down the Chaussy is still mud and wash-out; we had to carry our bikes); there's kilometre after kilometre of narrow, tight, off camber steep descending. If it's wet it will be carnage. Even in the dry it was sketchy.
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    elbowloh wrote:
    Mid 8000s for me.

S**t :shock:

Now I am properly terrified of what I've signed up too!

I rode the course yesterday afternoon - it's 4600m depending on the GPS unit - but longer. My unit was out of charge but my friend measured 145km. The route is extremely hard. I'd ridden the GFNY Ventoux on Sunday and the Etape route made that feel like a spin around Richmond Park. Both days were extremely hot. The descents on the EDT are very very technical (one corner coming down the Chaussy is still mud and wash-out; we had to carry our bikes); there's kilometre after kilometre of narrow, tight, off camber steep descending. If it's wet it will be carnage. Even in the dry it was sketchy.
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • elbowloh
    I've actually had to pull out now. Out group of 10 or so went down to 4. So we had to cancel the accommodation we had booked and all the other alternatives, at this late stage, are way too expensive.

gutted.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • sancho_panza
    sancho_panza Posts: 183
    I've actually had to pull out now. Out group of 10 or so went down to 4. So we had to cancel the accommodation we had booked and all the other alternatives, at this late stage, are way too expensive.

gutted.

yes... I plan on sleeping in my car; or in a bivvy bag underneath it.
  • elbowloh

gutted.

yes... I plan on sleeping in my car; or in a bivvy bag underneath it.
    We did consider camper vans/ hire vans too.

Think i'd be too stiff after sleeping in the car!

Good luck to you Sancho!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • dish_dash

I did this too. Receptionist quoted me £50 for checkup. So I called back a couple of days later and booked a normal appointment. Dr just filled it (the form) in and signed it. GP I suspect also quite happy because they have 10 minutes or whatever for an appointment and by the time she got to me she was running behind (as always). Getting me in and out in 1 minute is probably worth a lot more to her personally than faffing around with a full healthcheck and getting a small fee which just goes straight into central government coffers anyway

It was hard enough trying to get a doctor's appointment. Just wanting a check up wasn't good enough. Eventually got a phone appointment and turns out the doc rides and knew exactly what was needed. I drop the form off for him to sign tomorrow.
  • paul2718
    I dropped a print out of the required form into the surgery a week or so ago. Had a call today, apparently the doctor who got the job needs to see me, but isn't in for a week.... So got an appointment with another doctor this afternoon. He did the signing with no quibble, supposed to charge but as nothing really involved didn't seem worth it. Made a suggestion about a bung to a charity. Which seems fair enough.

Paul
  • dish_dash
    Form signed. But still had to shell out £20!
  • Anyone know when the "convocation" (event registration) becomes available to print? It says unavailable but we need to take it along with the medical certificate to get our bib numbers.

Ta
  • cgraley77
    cgraley77 Posts: 66
    Anyone know when the "convocation" (event registration) becomes available to print? It says unavailable but we need to take it along with the medical certificate to get our bib numbers.

Ta

Sunday 12th apparently.