Etape du Tour 2015

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'm in.

Accommodation is proving to be a bit difficult, what with the etape and the Tour coming through town later in the week.
    I'm in too.

With my buddies, there'll be 10 of us riding!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Hi guys,
    Any tips for sourcing and booking accommodation for this? Never done anything like this before so struggling to figure out where to start!
    Cheers
    Cam
  • From the confirmation e-mail, it seems the sign-on village is near the finish line, so look for accommodation in Le Toussuire.

Majority of hotels have probably gone, but you may find a room (it's a ski town, so lots of hotel rooms), alternatively you can camp (like me), or look at chalet/apartment rentals - you may have to book for a week though (although they can still be cheap if there's 2+ of you)
  • elbowloh
    From the confirmation e-mail, it seems the sign-on village is near the finish line, so look for accommodation in Le Toussuire.

Majority of hotels have probably gone, but you may find a room (it's a ski town, so lots of hotel rooms), alternatively you can camp (like me), or look at chalet/apartment rentals - you may have to book for a week though (although they can still be cheap if there's 2+ of you)
    Yep, Le Toussuire is pretty much booked up, as are most of the surrounding towns already! Nearest place we can see so far with room (we're looking at chalets and apartments) is another ski resort, but means another 1000m climb to get there after the ride! Seriously considering a camper van now!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • othello
    othello Posts: 578
    elbowloh wrote:
    From the confirmation e-mail, it seems the sign-on village is near the finish line, so look for accommodation in Le Toussuire.

Yep, Le Toussuire is pretty much booked up, as are most of the surrounding towns already! Nearest place we can see so far with room (we're looking at chalets and apartments) is another ski resort, but means another 1000m climb to get there after the ride! Seriously considering a camper van now!

I have a camper van and will be making use of it -- but I expect the campsite will get booked up quick. I don't fancy having to rouse the family and drive to the start, if I'm camped too far away!
    Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com
  • Thanks for the heads up. When we're saying La Tous. and the surrounding towns are 'booked up', is that for real or just words of mouth. I have a list of all (privately owned) gîtes for St Jean de Maurienne and La Tous. but is there even any point pursuing these or have they likely all gone?

Thanks for any advice
  • Marik
    Marik Posts: 40
    If you've got your own transport I'd head out a bit, last time in that area we camped in St Jean de Maurienne, campsite was fine, but whole town pretty dead in evenings, maybe ok if you have good accommodation. Don't know La Toussuire, but being ski area at least its bound to have masses of self catering apartments if staying in the area is important.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Any tips on signing into the http://www.asochallenges.com/fr/account ... s-register

I am trying to create and account and it keeps telling me that passwords need to match... they bloody do. I've tried French site, UK site, Macbook, iPad, grrrrrrrrrr
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931
    It's a site that doesn't like Google Chrome (same errors) but worked on IE.

My first Etape.
    There may be self catering apartments available in Le Corbier, which I think is a flatish ride away from the finish, c.4 kms I think.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    It's a site that doesn't like Google Chrome (same errors) but worked on IE.

Nope no joy on wife's Surface tablet with IE. Getting annoyed now.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I'm in. Nervous, excited, 9 months of hard graft ahead to get ready for all that UP.

A big(ish) group of us have rented a ski-chalet 6km from the start.
  • elbowloh
    Peat wrote:
    I'm in. Nervous, excited, 9 months of hard graft ahead to get ready for all that UP.

A big(ish) group of us have rented a ski-chalet 6km from the start.
    Snap, although we're had to book 3 chalets!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • 2016 for me... but I registered for the site to be safe ;)
  • Could you let me know the name of the chalets you booked
  • I've decided to up the ante this year - one day's not enough! 3 of us have signed up to Tour de Force. It means we have to fundraise quite a bit too, but at least we can do a whole week of the tour (yup - SIX stages!) without any of the accommodation and transfer hassles. I've got a big winter of training ahead me thinks!
  • Booked in last week and found some accommodation in a La Toussuire ski chalet. Some of them look a bit grim and you have to book all week. But it is not that expensive if in a group. Booked in through this outfit.

http://www.centrale-agence.com/fr/index.aspx
  • Am entered for this as a race entry only - not the usual sports tours package that i have gone for in the past.
    The reason being to dovetail a family bucket and spade holiday with this in the middle. But wife and kids can't come due to work schedule conflicts.
    So am going solo.

If anyone fancies hooking up for a room share / chalet share or what ever accomodation, making up the numbers to keep costs down, get in touch.

Have done a few of these before, including the Marmotte / Etape double in 2013
    looks a tasty stage. The journey has begun !
  • othello
    I'm having a bit of an accommodation crisis!

I am entered for the event only, and as I have a camper van I plan to drive down with my family on the Friday. No problem I thought. I expect all the chalets will be booked but a campsite spot won't be a problem...

How wrong I was! All campsites in the valley are booked out. The nearest ones I can see are in different valleys (e.g. Alpe d'Huez), and getting the kids up at 5am (or earlier) and my wife driving me around to the start isn't going to happen!

Anyone have any suggestions on where I can camp near the start?
  • The Etape usually organises day parking (often a local supermarket) and lots of people park up the night before. So I'd find a nice campsite around an hour's drive from the start for a day or two. Then, when you're ready for bed, drive down to the start and turn in. In the morning, have breakfast and ride around the corner.

I stayed here http://www.camping-jolimont.com/ when the Etape started in Albertville (2012). Bordeline on distance to St Jean de Maurienne but you get the idea.
  • Does anyone have any tips for finding accomodation for 4? Struggling to find much via VBRO and Airbnb...

Any help from people in this predicament before would be welcome - thanks!!!
  • othello
    stanthomas wrote:
    The Etape usually organises day parking (often a local supermarket) and lots of people park up the night before. So I'd find a nice campsite around an hour's drive from the start for a day or two. Then, when you're ready for bed, drive down to the start and turn in. In the morning, have breakfast and ride around the corner.

I stayed here http://www.camping-jolimont.com/ when the Etape started in Albertville (2012). Bordeline on distance to St Jean de Maurienne but you get the idea.

Thanks, the overnight parking sounds ideal as I'll be there in my camper van. Nothing on the Etape website yet about parking, but I'll keep an eye open.
  • I think, this year's edition is one of the best. Those climbs are beautiful and spectacular. Besides it will be one of the most challenging Etapes. It is going to be a real climbing festival:)
    The view from Col de la Croix de Fer is simply incredible:)
    Look below what our photographer made in Y2013.

14280671452_36b23ed221.jpgView of Col du Glandon from Col de la Croix de Fer by HC Bike Tours, on Flickr
  • mcvw
    mcvw Posts: 270
    Hi,

I'm on the verge of committing to this years Etape (space available via a friends CC) - however I'm also somewhat (realistically) apprehensive.

I have pretty good climbing ability (so others who've ridden with me have said) and just last Thursday I did 5 repeats of Box Hill in just under 90mins as a test of myself (https://www.strava.com/activities/266609985) - however the longest ride I've done to date is 65km (Windsor Sportive - Medium route).

As part of my training should I focus on more climbing or on distance - or both? All advice appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike
    2016 Handsling Bikes A1R0
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 1
    On One 4560b
  • cgraley77
    cgraley77 Posts: 66
    To anyone with previous experience,

how feasible is it to drive within, say, 5-10km of the start in St J de M, and leave your car/van there (I'm thinking Orelle or similar). Do you foresee any problems? (the route does not go on the roads i am thinking of)

Any help appreciated

Thanks
  • lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    Yes it's feasible. Many people will be driving in/cycling in to the start.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    mcvw wrote:
    Hi,

I'm on the verge of committing to this years Etape (space available via a friends CC) - however I'm also somewhat (realistically) apprehensive.

I have pretty good climbing ability (so others who've ridden with me have said) and just last Thursday I did 5 repeats of Box Hill in just under 90mins as a test of myself (https://www.strava.com/activities/266609985) - however the longest ride I've done to date is 65km (Windsor Sportive - Medium route).

As part of my training should I focus on more climbing or on distance - or both? All advice appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

I would say train your body to cope with longer rides; 4 hours and over.

Otherwise you may find yourself a bit drained after 2, 2.5 hours, especially as the Etape is tough riding with lots of climbing.

Obviously try to mix in as much climbing into your training as you can, but even if that is not feasible (because you live in Norfolk say!) then just riding for 4 hours + is good preparation.
  • jsutty
    jsutty Posts: 27
    mcvw wrote:
    Hi,

Thank you,

Mike

Hi Mike,
    From my experience of the Marmotte (basically the same as this!) I'd say both. We can't replicate the length of the climbs in the UK, but we can replicate the distance of the ride. Personally, I found it good to make sure I was able to spend 7-8 hours in the saddle just for confidence purposes. Also, your body starts doing different things as your rides get longer, and its good to get used to the feedback its giving you (ie how much to each and drink, when you need to slow down etc....basically how hard you can push yourself).

As for climbing, you can kind of replicate climbing in some ways...ie any kind of sustained effort. In the sense of a sustained effort, a long piece of flat road without interruptions into a headwind could be as valuable as hill repeats where you get a 5 minute break in between. However, for some reason (I'm sure there's some scientific explanation) it just doesn't cut it for me, and hill reps worked much better in terms of basically knackering me out. It's also more interesting and you're more likely to churn out higher watts on a climb I find. It should also get you used to the kind of gearing, cadence and pedalling style you need for climbs. 5 reps of Box Hill is good, but I'd say you need to be throwing it into a much longer ride (maybe add the nearby Leith Hill or Whitedown in too).

Sorry, I waffled far more than intended
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Numbers out now. What's everybody got?
  • othello
    willy b wrote:
    Numbers out now. What's everybody got?
    in the 10,000s. Bugger. I am SO screwed trying to avoid the cut-off time. :(
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    6500. Forwards from 7900 last year!

Paul