Oleg's Eur 1m carrot

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited December 2014 in Pro race
Not seen this discussed elsewhere but thought it was interesting, not that I really agree with it.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov- ... our-rivals

Vegni's comments on the Giro being a touch easier to facilitate riders being able to come to both the Giro and Tour and race for the win:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vegni-k ... our-double
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Some funny comments from Adam Hansen on the matter. Apparently he doesn't count as a contender!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    I think there's a reason riders no longer ride the 3 GTs with the aim of winning the GC!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Not seen this discussed elsewhere but thought it was interesting, not that I really agree with it.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov- ... our-rivals

I generally dislike Tinkov, but I like that idea a lot
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    This might end up giving us some better racing to be fair. If riders aren't specifically targeting one tour they will be more similar in terms of how prepared they are. Let's be honest who wouldn't have wanted (To steal a phrase from Jean Bobet's book) The G4 battling each other in the Vuelta, Giro and the Tour?
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Could this not potentially end in a poor Vuelta? All the top guys turning up shattered.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Who cares though? It would leave them open to more breakaway stages from less fatigued riders, meaning an outsider could take it, or it could be a 4-way game of cat and mouse.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    The promise of 1 million Eur to race all 3 GTs sounds good.

The reality of £200,000 to compromise your Tour ambition doesn't sound so good

I'd laugh my leg off if the rest turn up for the Giro and Bertie pulls out on the 1st stage.....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Do they have to finish all 3?
    Do they have to be competitive?
    Could they;
    -Ride round the Giro in the autobus and only come out to play for specific stages to train for the Tour
    -Compete in the Tour
    -Have a go at the Vuelta but if a bit tired ride round in the autobus
    - Ride round all 3 with Hansen drinking spectators beer on the climbs and doing selfies with fans
    Other combinations apply

Great publicity for Oleg but I bet there are reams of small print and the chances of getting money out of him would be slim at best
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Coach H wrote:
    Do they have to finish all 3?
    Do they have to be competitive?
    Could they;
    -Ride round the Giro in the autobus and only come out to play for specific stages to train for the Tour
    -Compete in the Tour
    -Have a go at the Vuelta but if a bit tired ride round in the autobus
    - Ride round all 3 with Hansen drinking spectators beer on the climbs and doing selfies with fans
    Other combinations apply

Great publicity for Oleg but I bet there are reams of small print and the chances of getting money out of him would be slim at best

If he said to qualify for the money you must finish in the top 10 of each, that could work
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Up it to 10 million and it MIGHT have a chance of happening.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

I'd laugh my leg off if the rest turn up for the Giro and Bertie pulls out on the 1st stage.....

This. I suspect it's not enough to tempt the big 4 to compromise their chances in July, but it is enough to get Oleg a load of publicity.
  • tailwindhome

This. I suspect it's not enough to tempt the big 4 to compromise their chances in July, but it is enough to get Oleg a load of publicity.

It was suggested it was the 1 million World No 1 bonus he saved when Bertie crashed on Sunday.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    coriordan wrote:
    Some funny comments from Adam Hansen on the matter. Apparently he doesn't count as a contender!

Oleg missed a trick and should have countered with a 1m ruble prize for the highest aggregate finisher in all 3 GT's who hasn't top 10'd in a GT before.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

Think you have hit the nail on the head there. There's no real details on do the riders get money for starting all three or what.

Also I think the UCI should clamp down on this as it isn't up to private individuals to offer up incentives for racing
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    Even for a top pro €1m is a lot in cycling.

Sky's budget's what, €20m?
  • tailwindhome

Shared 4 ways
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

Sky's budget's what, €20m?

But the riders who this is aimed at will also rake in a fair amount through sponsorship and so on. Plus it'll presumably be divvied 4 ways.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • His money is safe, there is no way all 4 of them start the big 3 never mind finish it. I could offer the same amount tomorrow and it would be just as meaningless.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The big 4 would makes huge amounts in personal sponsorship/appearance fees etc ahead of and during this.

I would be right up for it. The Giro isn't as challenging next year, they could make the Tour slightly less challenging too and the Vuelta could gain loads of publicity as the final leg. It would also give some 2nd tier riders a chance of challenging.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest

• So, sceptical about the viability of the double, never mind Oleg's fantasy triple.

The only way I can see it being even remotely possible, is with a Tour/Vuelta double, followed by the next year's Giro.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Tinkov is today what Bernard Tapie was 30 years ago... love him or hate him, he is the only only billionaire backing cycling as opposed to football. Time will tell whether this is going to make cycling better or worse, but at least it's going to make the headlines, which is always good
    left the forum March 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Tinkov is today what Bernard Tapie was 30 years ago... love him or hate him, he is the only only billionaire backing cycling as opposed to football.
    He's not a billionaire.
    And Makarov and Bakala are. And Coucke and Rihs probably have more money. And that's before you consider James Murdoch and the nameless Kazakhs.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Tinkov is today what Bernard Tapie was 30 years ago... love him or hate him, he is the only only billionaire backing cycling as opposed to football.
    He's not a billionaire.
    And Makarov and Bakala are. And Coucke and Rihs probably have more money. And that's before you consider James Murdoch and the nameless Kazakhs.

The difference is that Tinkov is behind the team, like Abramovic was/is behind the team... Murdoch probably doesn't even know what professional cycling is... in the same way as the Man U owners haven't got a clue about football
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    RichN95 wrote:
    He's not a billionaire.
    The difference is that Tinkov is behind the team, like Abramovic was/is behind the team... Murdoch probably doesn't even know what professional cycling is... in the same way as the Man U owners haven't got a clue about football
    I think it's well documented that James Murdoch is quite into cycling - has done Gran Fondos and the like. And that's from before the team. (BUt he was only and afterthought as he doesn't personally own the team).

And as I have mentioned there are at least four other very rich guys owning teams. And I didn't even consider Ryan and Thatz as they're only worth a couple of hundred million each.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • For flare he is still the Baernard Tapie of the modern age... I actually quite like him... :shock:
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Me too. If he says he'll put up a million Euros, he will do. Don't agree with a lot of what he says/does, but you cannot deny he's a fan...
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    For flare he is still the Baernard Tapie of the modern age... I actually quite like him... :shock:

Not until he appears on a hippity-hop record, he isn't.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    The guy obviously loves the sport, he was riding stages of the Giro with Cipo I seem to remember. He's got money to spend and I'd prefer he spent it in cycling rather than football. Also, he's mad as a box of frogs and is a real character. If Brailsford is Darth Vader, Tinkov is Jar Jar Binks

(I've met sir Dave, he's actually a really nice guy but I know a lot of people seem to think he isn't)