Highlight of the year 2014

Comments

• Quote of the season:-

"What were you thinking when you crossed the line?"

"I really need a wee"

I thought that's what he was thinking when he woke up that morning?

I'm sure the interviewer was expecting some profound comment about this being the day when he finally achieved his long term ambition etc. I'm equally sure that Wiggo knew that was expected, hence the p*ss-taking comment.

I bet when he crossed the line his immediate thought was "Thank god that's over." Is there any other thought at the end of a TT? :)
  • Have to agree with the others that have said the Cobbled Stage of the Tour, had everything!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Paris Roubaix for me, maybe not as memorable as the cobbled Tour stage or one or two others but as a day's racing probably the most enjoyable to watch.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Stage 7 was the cobbles or was it 5?
  • RideOnTime wrote:
    Stage 7 was the cobbles or was it 5?

• Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Still Paris-Tours to come - one of the top 5 single day races of the year IMO.
  • Every time Contador stamped on the pedals this year, I sat forward in my seat

Oh, and Peraud's face climbing the last few km's of Pla d'Adet. He was digging deep
  • Every time Contador stamped on the pedals this year, I sat forward in my seat

Oh, and Peraud's face climbing the last few km's of Pla d'Adet. He was digging deep
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I bet when he crossed the line his immediate thought was "Thank god that's over." Is there any other thought at the end of a TT? :)
    That's how I've felt every time, I'm reliably informed it doesn't get any easier, you just go faster :D
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    ...you just go faster :D

Err, not always! :wink:
  • David Millars shoes?
  • Paul 8v
    This is true I suppose, for me this was my first season of TTs so knocked off 2:40 in a season on my 10. I think that will be hard to repeat next year!
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Coach H wrote:
    The Tour, Stages 2 & 5

Yorkshire was great but Stage 2 was very, very good

Stage 5. Three bits
    - Lars Booms winning performance was a cobbles masterpiece
    - Nibali on the cobbles (although it is my personal opinion he is a doper even though I do not have any evidence for this)
    - G's comments to Porte before taking off with Tichie Richie on his wheel

What did G say?
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Kittel's sprint in Dublin.

Tour of Flanders and Stage 5 of the tour.

The final stage of the Dauphine was brilliant too.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    jam1e wrote:
    Coach H wrote:
    The Tour, Stages 2 & 5

Stage 5. Three bits
    - Nibali on the cobbles (although it is my personal opinion he is a doper even though I do not have any evidence for this)

What did G say?

something like 'let's go'.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Another vote for stage five of the tour.

Binche-chimay-binche also scores highly in the excellent value small race stakes.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    Final stage of USA Pro Challenge with Jens has to be one for me.

But ultimately, Brad's TT at the worlds is the highlight of the year.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the two new world champs
  • jam1e wrote:
    Coach H wrote:
    The Tour, Stages 2 & 5

Stage 5. Three bits

What did G say?

"Get on my wheel, let's smash it and see what happens"
  • Really need to get my act together, haven't watched stage 5 yet!
  • Paul 8v
    Greased, that's akin to not watching Lemond's TT on the champs Elysees or Hampsten on the Gavia, sort it out ;-)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Greased, that's akin to not watching Lemond's TT on the champs Elysees or Hampsten on the Gavia, sort it out ;-)
    Has anyone watched Hampsten on the Gavia? There's barely a photo, let alone footage.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    There is a bit but it looks like some footage off "You've been framed" when they show dodgy old camcorder clips from the 80's ;-) You know what I'm trying to say here anyway :-)
  • I can't quite get past being able to ride from my own home to a stage of Le Tour. I have dreamed of such a thing since my childhood so to get the opportunity was something I will never forget .

Riding the fens in a pack of about 60 riders all nervously excited to get to Cambridge will stay with me forever I suspect.

The atmosphere at the roadside and the swell of pride, both nationally and of my sport as I rode home to a reception in our village with croissants and large screen transmission of the finish, was something that deadened the pain of the headwind !
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I can't quite get past being able to ride from my own home to a stage of Le Tour. I have dreamed of such a thing since my childhood so to get the opportunity was something I will never forget .

Riding the fens in a pack of about 60 riders all nervously excited to get to Cambridge will stay with me forever I suspect.

The atmosphere at the roadside and the swell of pride, both nationally and of my sport as I rode home to a reception in our village with croissants and large screen transmission of the finish, was something that deadened the pain of the headwind !

That, my friend, will take some topping. Wonderful stuff.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • In a similar vein, watching the riders cruise up Grinton Moor, after many, many soul crushing rides out there in the depths of winter was brilliant to watch.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    jam1e wrote:
    Coach H wrote:
    The Tour, Stages 2 & 5

Stage 5. Three bits

What did G say?

"Get on my wheel, let's smash it and see what happens"

Exactly.............................and then doing just that!
    The philosophy of a selfless domestique in one succinct phrase
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Cool, cheers guys. Hopefully he'll have a got a lot of confidence from that stage for next years classics, not that he wasn't a decent contender anyway.
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Taylor Phinney's win at the ToC was pretty damn special.
  • In a similar vein, watching the riders cruise up Grinton Moor, after many, many soul crushing rides out there in the depths of winter was brilliant to watch.

Mine too. Stayed at the Youth Hostel for 3 days with my dad and my 8 yr old. We all cycled a bit of the route before and afterwards.
    Will never forget it.