Il Lombardia - *** Spoilers***

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Pretty much what Rich said about Valverde - I suppose it's a bit like Sagan though, he needs a super domestique who can bring it to the finish together.

If I was Gilbert think I'd have wanted Sanchez to at least try and respond to Martin's attack - I know he was running on fumes after leading them down the descent and having a couple of digs but even so.

From a BC point of view why did they let a Birmingham lad of Martin's talent get away?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pleased that Dan won his 2nd Lombardia

1st - his other monument was LBL

Could have sworn he had won before, maybe because he has been so prominent in the race before with an 8th, a 4th and a 2nd (when some lucky chancer called Zaugg won).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    [quote="DeVlaeminck")

From a BC point of view why did they let a Birmingham lad of Martin's talent get away?[/quote]

Not a trackie?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Pleased that Dan won his 2nd Lombardia. Would have been nice if he didnt basically have no opposition in the final 1km. Riders are funny sometimes. A bit crazy though that he could have had two monuments this year had it not been for a crash. Valverde showing his talent again, glad he didnt do the chasing this time - he does it too often. Its for the other riders to race - Valverde has a palmares they can only dream of. Shame that Contador crashed in the last 250m of a 250km race. Hope he is still good for Beijing. Anyone know the points scored by Valverde with that 2nd place?

I really don't get your Valverde love, FF. Very tenacious, but in my limited viewing he's very seldom shown anything I could call panache (this year one vuelta stage excepted). Having him as one of your men demeans the others, imo. Or are you just trying to provoke a response?
  • frenchfighter
    I dont love him and I wouldnt call him my man, I just admire his talent and think others are much too down on him. He demonstrates his own class and effort in addition to the times he is too prone to ride coat-tails. He adds a lot to the viewers enjoyment, year long.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    So, when is Flanders? ..
  • frenchfighter
    Valverde takes 80 points to Contador's zero and he was 14 points behind coming in.

Contador crashed as some amateur crashed right in front of him. Others behind then crashed into him. He banged the same knee pretty badly.

I think Valverde's wife gave birth this week so he has had a tough week and only got to Italy yesterday evening.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Valverde takes 80 points to Contador's zero and he was 14 points behind coming in.

Contador crashed as some amateur crashed right in front of him. Others behind then crashed into him. He banged the same knee pretty badly.

I think Valverde's wife gave birth this week so he has had a tough week and only got to Italy yesterday evening.

Is it his, or did someone else get there first as well?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    JackPozzi wrote:

:lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    JackPozzi wrote:

Are you suggesting a DNA test to prove it's his - because CONI already tried that with his blood back in 2008.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    edited October 2014
    Be fair, that wasn't his blood. Coni mishandled some random blood so badly it turned into am exact match of his.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Also, was Contador an amateur when he stacked it in the tour?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    Be fair, that wasn't his blood. Coni mishandled some random blood so badly it turned into am exact match of his.
    They wouldn't even try that one on The Jeremy Kyle Show.

I just find Valverde a source of amusement
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Be fair, that wasn't his blood. CAN I mishandled some random blood so badly it turned into am exact match of his.
    They wouldn't even try that one on The Jeremy Kyle Show.

I just find Valverde a source of amusement

This. A pantomime villain

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    Interesting stat CafeRoubaix on Twitter

For the first time since 1896, the season ended without a Monument being won by a rider from Belgium, France, Italy, or Spain.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Still can't quite work out why Contador isn't better at one day races.

It's not like he does rubbish in GT stages when they go over 220km.
  • Brilliant stuff by Dan. Made up for him after what happened at lbl.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Pretty much what Rich said about Valverde - I suppose it's a bit like Sagan though, he needs a super domestique who can bring it to the finish together.

If I was Gilbert think I'd have wanted Sanchez to at least try and respond to Martin's attack - I know he was running on fumes after leading them down the descent and having a couple of digs but even so.

From a BC point of view why did they let a Birmingham lad of Martin's talent get away?

It's the problem when you use 'numbers' as your primary source of determining if a rider is worth investing in. Works well for an event like pursuiting but I doubt many successful road riders have been the most powerful. Unfortunately, as long as BC relies on Olympic results for their funding talented roadies with racing brains will slip through the net.

Chuffed for 'my man' Dan though.
  • frenchfighter
    He is also a proper racer with a racing head and heart. He would never fit into Sky's mould and would not join the team even if they asked him.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Great to see Dan Martin get something out of this season.
    JackPozzi wrote:
    Surely the joke would be about him getting someone else to do all the foreplay before jumping in at the last minute to the claim the glory?
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Valverde is my man this season. I think his consistency in results is unparalleled. He is so race savvy.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Valverde is my man this season. I think his consistency in results is unparalleled. He is so race savvy.

He is, but to what end if he's just going to watch others ride away from him at the death?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Just caught up with this one, great last minute dig by Martin. The others just looked at each other not wanting to take the fridge magnet along with them, it was just like the worlds again.

It would have been nice to see Aru/Contador/J Rod having a little battle but the last climb didn't seem big enough to suit them, bad luck for Contador to crash so near the end but he'd missed the boat by then.

Shame about Kwaitkowski dropping out but it looked like he had done a lot of work on/near the front prior to that.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I take your point and to some degree his dilemma is no different to Sagan's this season as in no-one wants to take him to the line. However, for a guy of his age to be in the podium mix all season long in one dayers and GTs must be fairly unprecedented and when he did win he won well such as his Vuelta stage and Roma Maxima.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I take your point and to some degree his dilemma is no different to Sagan's this season as in no-one wants to take him to the line. However, for a guy of his age to be in the podium mix all season long in one dayers and GTs must be fairly unprecedented and when he did win he won well such as his Vuelta stage and Roma Maxima.
    The thing is, it's such an ugly way to win. If it's ugly for Gerrans it's ugly for him too.

He is definitely a talented rider, no one can deny that. His prologue ride at Andalucía was awesome but the rest of the time he just sat on the back of the sky train and waited until the last few hundred metres and sprinted for the win (This was, to be fair poor tactics by Sky who should have realised this would happen)

He definitely adds something to the races he rides, if only for the pantomime villain aspect, it must be so demoralising for the other riders to see him near the end of a race in your breakaway!

Today if he had gone with Martin he could have possibly out sprinted him, he does have a good kick on him.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Paul, the only racers that can out kick Valverde at the end of a loooong stage are gerrans, degenkolb, and Sagan and that's about it.

I've watched him closely this year and he is probably the best all rounder in the peloton. Expert descender, metronomic on the climbs, and still packs a fearsome kick.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    CX1-600x399.jpg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

He is, but to what end if he's just going to watch others ride away from him at the death?

There are a handful of riders in that group. What about all those wheel suckers?

Mr Dan Martin rode wheels the entire day apart from inside the last km. Situation dictated it as it was another long race coming down to the last 10km as usual with these conservative pros but still we can't say it was a great win, it was just a win, but better than a sprint.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Nice quote from Martin.
    “Lombardia is one of my first cycling memories. I remember watching it when I started cycling, with Paolo Bettini winning. It’s incredible to win it now. I’ve been to the Sancuary at the Ghisallo many times. I love cycling history and it’s one of the biggest races of the year, so to have my name on the palmares is incredible. Il Lombardia has always been one of my favourite races. I first saw I could do well in the long races in 2009, when I got 8th at Como. It’s one of the most beautiful classics, although it’s a different type of race. The peloton is tired, but you still have the best climbers in the world. The course makes it beautiful, and it’s great being close to the Worlds: you have a great peloton.”
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Interesting stat CafeRoubaix on Twitter

For the first time since 1896, the season ended without a Monument being won by a rider from Belgium, France, Italy, or Spain.

Norway, Switzerland, Holland, Australia, Ireland. Very multinational