Hybrids v Road 'Racing' bikes.....

13»

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Zak3737 wrote:
    Of course, Roadies will always want to look like Roadies, and would view it as heracy to ride a flat bar.....

Ugh. So very wrong. What many of us have been trying to say is that for road riding, road bikes are more fit for purpose than hybrids. There's a clue in the name. It has nothing to do with wanting 'the look'. If someone buys a road bike for pootling around town, they have either been given shockingly bad advice or they're an idiot.
  • jameses
    Zak3737 wrote:
    Its quite laughable how many of you have clearly taken great offence at the mere suggestion......it really is.

It's not the suggestion that flat bars might be more suitable for some people that we've taken offence to - that in itself is a valid point - it's your flat out denial (despite fairly sound reasoning from several of us) that road bikes are actually more suited to road riding that has caused offence. As I said before, why bother asking the question if you're just going to ignore the response?
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    This whole thread became derailed by the 'Control/Braking ability' discussion.

My original post suggested/asked, that for those of us that would very rarely, if at all, use the drops, - like me, then Flat Bars would give the same performance as Drop bars.......on the same bike,
    ...on an average ride, just spinning along, no Pro event.

JamesEs - you've just said that's a 'valid point', - therefore you agree.

So why the hell are you arguing with me ?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Gaz777 wrote:
    Ignoring all the arguing, I'd just like to add my experience to the mix. I ride my road bikes for fun, and I commute to work on a flat bar hybrid. The hybrid is great for pootling to and from work, and it's perfectly set up as a commuter with lights, guards etc. However, despite it being comfortable on short distance rides, anything over 7 miles makes my hands and wrists hurt. I'm not saying at all that it would do that for all people, but it does for me. However, I never get any hand or wrist pain on my road bikes over any distance.

I enjoy cycling and find it fun. I'm not saying I couldn't do a 100 mile ride on my work bike, but I would say I wouldn't want to as I wouldn't enjoy it.

If I stand up with my arms by my side, and then bend my arms to bring them up to stomach level, my hands are naturally in the position that they would be in when on the hoods. I have to rotate both wrists 90 degrees to put them into the flat bar position. Some people will be fine with that, but for me, it's uncomfortable over distance.

If you cant do more than 7 miles without hurting then there is either something muscular or skeletal wrong with you, or you have an unsuitable bike that doesnt fit. Doesnt matter what type of bike it is, this statement holds true.
  • jameses
    At this point, I don't even know! :lol:

I actualy said the 'flat bars are more suitable' argument is valid for some people, ie those that aren't going to be riding long distances or attempting to get faster. Hybrids will suffice for them.

But somewhere along the line, you asked if you would be faster on a road bike than on an equivalent-framed hybrid. Yes, you would be, but it may take some time to adjust to a different riding position/style. To say you will never use the drops if you got a road bike seems odd to me, but only you know what your riding will be like.
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    What are you going to buy then, when you've finished talking to yourself?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Forget about the fecking drops. Drop bar hoods are still a million miles away from flat bars.

You are still arguing that flat bars are great, so just buy the fecking Sirrus.

The whole bike is completely different, but please, please. please buy one!
  • zak3737
    Just remembered, - case in point:

A few weeks back, before we had my Sons Sirrus serviced, he came out on a ride with me, 20miles, me on my Trek, he on the Sirrus, flat bars, etc etc....
    Now admittedly, he a 21yr old racing snake, and strong as hell, but he booled along next to me with no effort whatsover, at a steady 16mph or so average.....and it was windy as hell.

As to what I'll buy,........probably the Roubaix, I think I feel the need to conform. :D
  • Anonymous
    Comparing two different people on two different bikes means absolutely feck all.

You are getting the Roubaix because you were wrong about the Sirrus, but do not have the balls to admit it.

I am sure your fellow Roubaix owners will welcome you with open arms. Not as open as the Sirrus owners would have of course :wink:
  • apreading wrote:
    Gaz777 wrote:
    Ignoring all the arguing, I'd just like to add my experience to the mix. I ride my road bikes for fun, and I commute to work on a flat bar hybrid. The hybrid is great for pootling to and from work, and it's perfectly set up as a commuter with lights, guards etc. However, despite it being comfortable on short distance rides, anything over 7 miles makes my hands and wrists hurt. I'm not saying at all that it would do that for all people, but it does for me. However, I never get any hand or wrist pain on my road bikes over any distance.

I enjoy cycling and find it fun. I'm not saying I couldn't do a 100 mile ride on my work bike, but I would say I wouldn't want to as I wouldn't enjoy it.

If I stand up with my arms by my side, and then bend my arms to bring them up to stomach level, my hands are naturally in the position that they would be in when on the hoods. I have to rotate both wrists 90 degrees to put them into the flat bar position. Some people will be fine with that, but for me, it's uncomfortable over distance.

If you cant do more than 7 miles without hurting then there is either something muscular or skeletal wrong with you, or you have an unsuitable bike that doesnt fit. Doesnt matter what type of bike it is, this statement holds true.

Perhaps I worded that wrong. Maybe 'uncomfortable' or 'less comfortable' would be a better way of putting it. I just prefer my drop bar bikes to the flat one which takes me to work. I genuinely find the drop bars (using predominately the hoods) more comfortable.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Zak3737 wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    Being on the drops on a road bike gives you a secure hand position whilst having access to the brakes. On a flat barred bike being on the bar ends would give the best position for handling at speed but wouldn't give easy access to the brakes, whilst covering the brakes wouldn't be great for handling. Neither hand position would be as secure as being on the drops.
    Oh come on, no-one in their right minds is likely to be on the 'bar ends' on a descent now are they ???

Listen, I've plummeted down mountains in the Alps, both on-road, and off-road, and nearly always with at least 2 fingers covering my brake, if not applying the brake, all whilst with a firm grip on the bars, so there is no way you're gonna tell me that you have 'better control' on the drops of a road bar !!
    Thats just laughable. Get a grip.
    You're telling me to 'listen' and 'get a grip'? I admire your debating style. :roll: Yes, at speed I feel I have more control on the drops than on a straight bar.
    Zak3737 wrote:
    "It sounds like you need to try out a road bike to appreciate the benefits, you might find that your bike is a bigger factor in your slow descending than you realise."

On the contrary, it sounds to me that its you that need to try out a Hybrid or Mountain Bike, with Flat/Riser bars, to fully appreciate the control and braking benefits. There is just no comparison.
    As I mentioned previously I have experience of flat bars (ridden both mountain bike and hybrid for years) and, like you say, there is no comparison, road bikes win easily on fast road descents. I was suggesting to apreading that his bike might be a factor in people on road bikes being much quicker descending than him.

Are your opinions of drop bars based on experience or pre-conceived notions that they are not 'normal'?
  • Zak3737 wrote:
    I merely asked, after observations as to how many social riders use the 'tops', or 'hoods', why more of us dont just use flat bars.......

Its quite laughable how many of you have clearly taken great offence at the mere suggestion......it really is.

By jove you are right, what a fool I've been. I tell you what, get the Sirrus, please don't make the same mistake the rest of us have.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,013
    I must admit that Zak has done extremely well at achieving his goal in this thread.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Anonymous
    I would hope for his sake (and other Roubaix/Specialized owners) that he is trolling, if thats what you mean.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,013
    Carbonator wrote:
    I would hope for his sake (and other Roubaix/Specialized owners) that he is trolling, if thats what you mean.
    Not necessarily trolling but certainly has plenty of fish dangling on his hooks.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Zak3737 wrote:
    This was my original post.......
    Zak3737 wrote:
    I'm still sat here, wrestling with my conciense as to whether to go buy that new Roubaix or not, after testing it the other day, and finding out just how comfortable a setup it is.
    Yes, I'm sure there are other equally comfortable Sportive bikes, but the Robaix is renowned after all.

However, on browsing the Spesh site (again), I found myself also checking out the 2015 'Sirrus' models, - I've got a Sirrus which I used for commuting a few years ago, complete with Cable Discs, but these days, my son has it up at Uni with him, and its been a great bike, still is in fact, we've just had it overhauled and new tryes and it bools along very nicely indeeed, even on 28c tyres etc etc.

The new 2015 Sirris range is mighty impressive, with the top of the range, the 'Expert Carbon Disc', as well as a full Carbon Frame and Zertz inserts, is also equipped with 105 gears etc, Hydraulic Discs, etc etc......very very nice indeed.

Which all begs the question, apart from not conforming with the 'architypal Roadie look' and drop bars, why do not more of us that want to ride 'comfortably', opt for something like the Sirrus ?
    Has to be more comfortable and stable/controllable with normal bars and standard brake levers, - as a previous very experience Mountain Biker, I know all too well how good stopping is on standard bars & discs.

I guess the 30c tyres fitted on it as standard 'might' be a smidge large, but thats easily solved, and I'd hazard a guess that most of us 'normal' mortals would not only be as quick on it as we would be on any drop-bar 'Racer', - where lets be honest, a lot of us never use the drops.

No, I'm not trolling........just wondering...... :)

If anyone can tell me where I say that the Sirrus would be 'better', I'd appreciate you pointing it out pls.
    I merely asked, after observations as to how many social riders use the 'tops', or 'hoods', why more of us dont just use flat bars.......

Zak - I am you (nearly)! 48 and about the same weight.

I started off with a Giant Rapid which is the Giant equivalent of the Sirrus. It was a great bike and I loved it at the time. I was a bit over weight (actually a lot) and I certainly wouldn't have been comfortable on a drop bar bike.

After a year I purchased a Giant Defy - again the Giant equivalent of the Roubaix - and kept the Rapid as my wet weather bike with mudguards etc. Once I'd started riding the Defy though I really didn't like going back to the Rapid as the Defy was so much more comfortable. Not just on long rides but all the time. You do have a much wider range of hand positions so I do not experience the numb fingers I used to get on the Rapid. I will agree that from a control perspective the Defy took a bit of getting used to but now I don't even think about it. I have also never felt the need for disc braked either, frankly I can lock the front wheel from the hoods so why do I need more ? Maybe it's because I'm an old fart and I don't go that quickly :mrgreen:

Get the Roubaix, you won't regret it. I have now sold my Rapid and bought another Defy with mudguard eyelets for wet weather.
  • zak3737
    Morning Chaps.....
    I certainly wasnt Trolling, it was a serious question.

I think inevitably, it all goes off at tangents, and the point becomes a little lost perhaps. I certainly was never suggesting that a Hybrid like a top of the range Carbon Sirrus, was EVER going to be equal to a top of the range Road bike, ....someone who wanted to push & push, at high speeds, and who used the drops etc etc......

But I do think, that if I was on that Sirrus Carbon Expert, even with straight bars, I'd be boolong along as quickly as I am on my current Trek road bike. The hand positions issue is another matter, and seems perhaps a purely personal thing, ....maybe thats something I'll come to appreciate more as I get more miles in.

Now, to find a Roubaix..........
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Zak3737 wrote:
    ....I merely asked, after observations as to how many social riders use the 'tops', or 'hoods', why more of us dont just use flat bars.......

I'll answer the second part first - No one seems to have taken offence at that suggestion. They've taken offence at some of the rather ignorant sweeping statements made in subsequent posts. Like your suggestions that perhaps many of those with drop bars just want to look the part.

Now onto the first part.
    You've refered a number of times, including the comment above, to your observations that most riders don't actually use the drops and used that as teh basis for wondering if there's any point to them.
    Could you explain how you've performed these observations? Are you just noting the hand positions of passing cyclists at random? Are you following cyclists around to see what they do? Are you surveying cyclists?
    I'm guessing it's the first one?
    If you are using random observations of passing cyclists to determine how many use their drops, then your inference that most people don't use the drops is comlpetely invalid.
    The vast majority of cyclists who use drop bar bikes, myself included, spend the majority of their time on the hoods. That's not a secret. We set up our bikes to be used that way and that's how we use them.
    Now let's say, hypothetically, that the average cyclist spends 12.5% of their time in the drops and 87.5% on the hoods. If you were to observe them at random, you would see them on the hoods 7 out of every 8 observations and in the drops only 1 in 8. that doesn't mean 7 out of 8 cyclists don't use the drops. Does it? No, it just means they spend more time on the hoods.

I've spent time on both flat bar and drop bar bikes doing both long and short distances. Both work and both have their pros and cons. Personally, I find a drop bar bike far more comfortable for any sort of hard effort or long ride. Most people do. The choice is yours.