Rose Pro DX Cross 2000

Comments

• I hope they are not crap as I just paid the extra to upgrade
  • CR1900 on mine

Crappy in that they have had to be trued 3 times in 12 months, freehub sometimes makes a clonk when re-enaging the pawls under drive load, plus they are heavy

Compared to what? A pair of Shimano RS10 that would have been a similar price and never been trued in 5 years and 5000 odd miles but are similar weight and used on similar terrain. No comparison to my other wheels which admittedly are all considerably more expensive - have used my Ksyrium Elites over similar terrain and they have never gone out of true either

Like I said, I'm looking to upgrade my CR1900 to Kinesis v3 or some of the new DT Swiss disc wheels when they land in the UK at the end of this year
  • Lempod
    Lempod Posts: 90
    Thanks for your input itsnotarace. The wheels that most people on here are upgrading to are the Rose 1850 but I have noticed there are two versions, one set with Rose hubs (i think) and another with ultegra hubs. Not sure which ones will come with the bike but both seemed to be used on higher end disk bikes on their website.
  • azzurri78
    azzurri78 Posts: 104
    Thanks for the replies everyone (and the pics!).

Deffo going to go ahead with the purchase. Its my birthday tomorrow so shoul hopefully receive some cash to help pay for it.

Think I might meet the uk rep Finlay to arrange a test ride too.
  • My one (a dx-3000) comes with dt swiss r24 spline - or something) I'm assuming they are better than the Rose wheels though not sure, but it might be worth asking how much to upgrade to those if you're worried about the wheel quality and you have some spare cash.

I'm gonna see how I go and if I have the money maybe get the kinesis 1500g ones for £270 come the summer...
  • I'm gonna see how I go and if I have the money maybe get the kinesis 1500g ones for £270 come the summer...

I'm suprised the knowledgeable folks at Kinesis haven't spotted that the wheels they claim have a 3 cross pattern are actually laced 2 cross... I wonder if there is anything else they don't know about their own wheels... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Ugo.... its hardly in your interest to say good things about them is it?
  • antsmithmk wrote:
    Ugo.... its hardly in your interest to say good things about them is it?

Possibly, but this is not the case: if you bought a car supposed to have 6 seats and found out it's only got 5, wouldn't it be poor description?

Anyway, if you find a post of mine where I say something only because it's in my interest and not because it's true, please bring it to my attention and I'll delete it... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • As I dont have my own thread on this I'll hijack this one once again ;)

Ordered my dx-3000 on the 6/10/14, got an email yesterday (3/11/14) telling me it had been shipped - thats 8 days before the assembly date I originally got, so maybe others will get theirs a bit sooner too :)

Am hoping/asssuming it'll be here before the weekend!
  • marcusww
    marcusww Posts: 202
    Marcusww wrote:
    Got a 62cm in white ready for mid November, 1850 rose wheels with 5800 chainset. The wheels 1850grams
    With cartridge bearings are over 200grams lighter than the crossones but still good 28 spoke count. I paid £50 extra for those wheels. I got the chainset at no extra charge as their faulty website advised it was no extra cost where it should have added £40 to the bike. Currently have a boardman cx team that I race a bit, hoping the rose with lighter wheels will be an easier ride! Boardman for sale when rose delivered. Just got some Michelin mud 2 for this Sunday, will be muddy down the south!

Been riding it 2 weeks now and can hear cables rattling on bumpy Tarmac, anyone else had this?
  • Marcusww wrote:
    Marcusww wrote:
    Got a 62cm in white ready for mid November, 1850 rose wheels with 5800 chainset. The wheels 1850grams
    With cartridge bearings are over 200grams lighter than the crossones but still good 28 spoke count. I paid £50 extra for those wheels. I got the chainset at no extra charge as their faulty website advised it was no extra cost where it should have added £40 to the bike. Currently have a boardman cx team that I race a bit, hoping the rose with lighter wheels will be an easier ride! Boardman for sale when rose delivered. Just got some Michelin mud 2 for this Sunday, will be muddy down the south!

Been riding it 2 weeks now and can hear cables rattling on bumpy Tarmac, anyone else had this?

Not so far, and I have a pretty bumpy commute to be honest. You sure it's the cables? Maybe email Rose to see what they say?
  • Anyone got any recommendations for the mudguards to get for the Pro DX Cross 2000?

I ordered the bike a few weeks ago along with these (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sks/mudguards-narrow-road-ec004914) mudguards and I'm wondering if they will actually fit or if I will have to return them before the bike arrives?

cheers in advance.
  • flere210 wrote:
    Anyone got any recommendations for the mudguards to get for the Pro DX Cross 2000?

I ordered the bike a few weeks ago along with these (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sks/mudguards-narrow-road-ec004914) mudguards and I'm wondering if they will actually fit or if I will have to return them before the bike arrives?

cheers in advance.

In theory they should fit up to 28mm tyres so you should be fine if that's the tyre size you have...but I would've gone a size bigger myself.

I have Portland Design Works full metal fenders on mine, they give fantastic coverage and are lighter than the sks ones, plus they are more adjustable.

Also about £30 more than the sks ones but I'm glad I got them.
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    flere210 wrote:
    Anyone got any recommendations for the mudguards to get for the Pro DX Cross 2000?

cheers in advance.

The answer is rather un-helpfully "it depends". It depends on what tyres you are planning to use. I have two sets of wheels and the mudguards you've chosen fitted. They work with my 'road' wheels which have 28c conti 4 seasons tyres. The cx wheels with 33c racing ralph tyres don't fit both width and height even though I left, what I thought would be, plenty of gap.

Here's a pic with the road wheels

10537735_837568459599082_7193492551568288780_n.jpg?oh=6b5bb60cfd9c1e693aca5a52c649e3a4&oe=556856ED&__gda__=1432594261_85b4d444a5620a18883642b60a167806
  • djp66 wrote:
    flere210 wrote:

cheers in advance.

The answer is rather un-helpfully "it depends". It depends on what tyres you are planning to use. I have two sets of wheels and the mudguards you've chosen fitted. They work with my 'road' wheels which have 28c conti 4 seasons tyres. The cx wheels with 33c racing ralph tyres don't fit both width and height even though I left, what I thought would be, plenty of gap.

Here's a pic with the road wheels

10537735_837568459599082_7193492551568288780_n.jpg?oh=6b5bb60cfd9c1e693aca5a52c649e3a4&oe=556856ED&__gda__=1432594261_85b4d444a5620a18883642b60a167806

The tyres I'm getting with the bike are just the ones they offered by default, which I think were the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs. Though by the looks of your picture I think they will probably fit... I guess I'll just have to wait and see!!

Thank you for the help!
  • djp66
    flere210 wrote:
    The tyres I'm getting with the bike are just the ones they offered by default, which I think were the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs. Though by the looks of your picture I think they will probably fit... I guess I'll just have to wait and see!!

Thank you for the help!

They definitely won't fit. My other wheels are the ones that came with the bike, magic crossone with schwalbe racing ralph 33c tyres. I have just checked again, with the guards in place they do not fit. The mudguards are too narrow, you will need the wide version.

The picture is the bike with some nice handbuilt wheels from ugo and these have 28c road tyres.
  • djp66 wrote:
    flere210 wrote:

Thank you for the help!

They definitely won't fit. My other wheels are the ones that came with the bike, magic crossone with schwalbe racing ralph 33c tyres. I have just checked again, with the guards in place they do not fit. The mudguards are too narrow, you will need the wide version.

The picture is the bike with some nice handbuilt wheels from ugo and these have 28c road tyres.

Damn. Well at least I now know for sure. I'll try to see if Evan's cycles can swap them over for me.

Aw well. Cheers again!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    How have people found the sizing on these bikes?

The top tube and reach measurements seem pretty small compared to some other bikes. For example the 62cm Rose has the same top tube as and a shorter reach than a 59cm Caadx.
  • MrB123 wrote:

The top tube and reach measurements seem pretty small compared to some other bikes. For example the 62cm Rose has the same top tube as and a shorter reach than a 59cm Caadx.

I entered my measurements in their size calculator and ended up with the size I would've expected based on my other bikes - a 56. Seems to fit fine :)
  • djp66
    MrB123 wrote:

I entered my measurements in their size calculator and ended up with the size I would've expected based on my other bikes - a 56. Seems to fit fine :)

Likewise, their site told me I needed a 52cm and it's a good fit.
  • marcusww
    I have the 62cm, I'm 6'2" and used their website for sizing but my main criteria is effective top tube length. This is similar to my road bike spec Tarmac, roughly 58cm tt. 110mm stem on the rose and 120mm on the Tarmac suits me well
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Thanks Marcus, that's interesting. What size is your Tarmac then?

I'm 6'4" and currently ride a size 60 Trek road bike with a 586mm top tube which I would say is a good fit.

The 62cm Rose certainly looks closer to the 60cm Trek in terms of top tube and reach measurements than the 60cm Rose does. I'm wondering if I might feel a bit cramped on the 60cm Rose, plus the larger size might give a more upright position which would suit me for what I'd be using it for, ie winter roads and railway paths, not for racing.

I'm pretty much between the sizes in terms of inside leg measurement.
  • marcusww
    Tarmac is xl 58cm, I love this as a road bike, no wonder they hold their value.
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    It seems worth asking here, I'm not familiar with the Rose bikes and trying to get my head around them - will the Rose Pro DX Cross-3100 Di2 take mudguards similar to the picture on the previous page?

I have a standard road bike that is getting little use and my hybrid is a bit hard going for longer rides so I've been tempted by the idea of a CX bike for a while although a lot of them can't take mudguards which is irritating. The Rose stands out as it seems good value for money to have the hydraulic brakes and Di2, I realise it's not carbon or titanium but I'm not too bothered about that as it seems to add a lot to the cost and for me I don't think much benefit. I see there's some comments about the bike feeling less agile and slow for steering which sounds good to me, my main leisure bike is a fat bike (also my CX racing bike ;) ) so the road bike feels uncomfortably twitchy in comparison.

John
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Johnmcl7 wrote:
    It seems worth asking here, I'm not familiar with the Rose bikes and trying to get my head around them - will the Rose Pro DX Cross-3100 Di2 take mudguards similar to the picture on the previous page?

I have a standard road bike that is getting little use and my hybrid is a bit hard going for longer rides so I've been tempted by the idea of a CX bike for a while although a lot of them can't take mudguards which is irritating. The Rose stands out as it seems good value for money to have the hydraulic brakes and Di2, I realise it's not carbon or titanium but I'm not too bothered about that as it seems to add a lot to the cost and for me I don't think much benefit. I see there's some comments about the bike feeling less agile and slow for steering which sounds good to me, my main leisure bike is a fat bike (also my CX racing bike ;) ) so the road bike feels uncomfortably twitchy in comparison.

John

Yeah it should do, they use the same frame I think which'll have the mounts/holes. I have a dx-3000 (the ultegra one) and have full mudguards. Email them to double check before you order though!
  • johnmcl7
    johnmcl7 Posts: 162
    Johnmcl7 wrote:

John

Yeah it should do, they use the same frame I think which'll have the mounts/holes. I have a dx-3000 (the ultegra one) and have full mudguards. Email them to double check before you order though!

Thanks, will e-mail them as well but thought it worth asking here as well.

John
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,022
    Anyone know what the differences are between the 2000 and the 3000 ? I've looked at their website and they the DX2000 cross and DX3000 cross seem very similar bikes but with slightly different geometry.

Is one more of a cross race bike than the other - the 2000 looks a bit more stretched out so I was thinking maybe that is the race model but I notice they offer (or at least offered) it in a randonneur package complete with rack and hub dynamo.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Are you sure the geometry is different? Usually the number denotes a spec change only (eg: 3000 is ultegra and, depending which one you go for, hydraulic discs), whereas 2000 is cable discs only and 105. I've never heard of Rose altering the frame across the same base model before.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,022
    Thanks my mistake, you are right I was looking at the Pro DX Cross 3000 and the Team DX Cross 2000 - hadn't picked up one was in the Pro series and one in the Team series which is where the difference in frame comes in isn't it.

My question should have been are the Pro and the Team equally good as all rounders as regards taking mudguards etc. I don't think I'm going to use it to race cross (unless one of my kids gets back into it) it'll be more a winter trainer and then doing some occasional off road stuff - tracks, parks etc
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • curto80
    curto80 Posts: 314
    Ah ok that makes sense.

I'd recommend giving them a bell and talking it through with them. They are very helpful. When I bought my Xlite the guy spent about 15 mins talking me through different inner tube options! There's no stupid questions.
    Rose Xlite Team 3100 Di2
    Kinesis Tripster ATR
    Orro Oxygen