List of things having "no place" in Grand Tours

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Motorised bicycles.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Motomen
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited September 2014
    Milton50 wrote:
    I'm going to be a bit cheeky and hijack this thread to ask a related question: does the Vuelta have a place as a Grand Tour?

For me the ideal would be to swap the Vuelta and the Giro on the calendar and reduce the Vuelta to a two week race. Then move everything after what would have been the Giro forward a week.

You'd then have the maximum number of top GC riders starting the Tour and Giro, and the Giro would be able to have the summit finishes it wants without fear of snow. Also the Giro being in the summer months would draw bigger crowds than the Vuelta.
    You must Blame the Frigging money grabbing UCI Idiots (infected by McQuid) for the Giro Date as they have brought it forward by about 3 weeks. Let's have the European and all the other Continents separate to run their own programs when they want to and then leave the sponsors to choose their markets.

So once again the 1991 calender. When up to then no other continent had a decent program so they now Imitate Europe. (In early USA history Sean Yates was the winner of the US Pro Champs, with the new USA champion coming 5th to claim the Title)
    Liege - April 21
    Amstel - April 27 .............I remember when Amstel was the Saturday before Liege.
    Vuelta - April 29 to May 19 - The Spanish were in uproar when they were told it would be moved.
    Giro - May 26 to June16
    National Pro Champs - June 30
    Tour de France - July 6 to July 28.
    World Pro Champs - August 25......No such thing as a TT Champs.

Ban - Motorbike Cameramen who show only solo riders on the front of the Peloton, bottom brackets, Ears, etc.
    Then against all the rules they get alongside a TT rider instead of staying behind that rider.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Adverts showing Hipsters organising bike rides for hundreds of people using an electrical communication device.

Showing the whole Grand Tour live apart from one crucial stage because a chipper is being raced elsewhere on the same day.
  • deejay
    hammerite wrote:
    Showing the whole Grand Tour live apart from one crucial stage because a chipper is being raced elsewhere on the same day.
    That is of course,.......TODAY
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    deejay wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

What could be more exciting than watching a circuit around Liverpool?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    deejay wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

Yep. Because all cycling fans want to watch a 130km circuit race around a city over a mountain stage in a grand tour.
  • deejay
    So in keeping with the thread title, your post should be "Spain". :wink:
    Cannot be right because Spain (like the other 2) have such a varied terrain of country like no other European country to accommodate a 3 week Grand Tour.
    The Tour of Switzerland (Suisse the 4th GT) has been cut in order to squeeze the calender.

Did I say, BAN
    Motor Homes (RV's) from Mountains during race days, please
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    sjmclean wrote:
    Adverts for Israel

That bloody Bora advert!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Elfed wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    Adverts for Israel

That bloody Bora advert!
    Definitely the Israel advert, they can pi$$ right off, Bora I can live with as it is a dodgy euro advert which is always entertaining. Not as entertaining as Salice however...

Another one:
    People who are only there to try and get on TV and nearly knock the riders off whilst they revel in their own self importance
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I miss the Kazakhstan advert.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    It seems currently Rick Chasey as a viewer has no place in a GT.

Haven't seen a single stage of the Vuelta. Annoying.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    Elfed wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    Adverts for Israel

That bloody Bora advert!
    Definitely the Israel advert, they can pi$$ right off, Bora I can live with as it is a dodgy euro advert which is always entertaining. Not as entertaining as Salice however...
    ThomThom wrote:

The Israel tourism advert nearly ruined the Tour for me. As for adverts I will miss, I will miss the Rui Costa Merida My Bike Is Made to Win this Fight advert. So bad it's good.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Elfed wrote:
    sjmclean wrote:
    Adverts for Israel

That bloody Bora advert!
    ThomThom wrote:

The Israel tourism advert nearly ruined the Tour for me. As for adverts I will miss, I will miss the Rui Costa Merida My Bike Is Made to Win this Fight advert. So bad it's good.
    ^^^ Both of these things

Maiy Baiyke is designed to win this fight...
  • Milton50 wrote:
    Riders who constantly whine about something "having no place" in a Grand Tour.
    winner :D
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,563
    Overdoing the classification jersey by wearing excessive amounts of yellow or worse polka dotting everything - Tommy Voelker I'm looking at you!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,563
    andyp wrote:
    Podium girls.

Agreed.

I asked in the Slaying the Badger thread but didn't get an answer. I didn't see podium girls in the footage they showed from 1986. So were they edited out, or are podium girls actually a more recent development?
  • No stage race should ever have laps, the exception being if it is of the Champs Elysée.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Tusks
    Bw_1NkpIUAAoVcU.jpg
    Robbie McEwen forcing the reluctant soul back into character. Via @BrakeThrough / FF.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Paul 8v
    dish_dash wrote:
    Overdoing the classification jersey by wearing excessive amounts of yellow or worse polka dotting everything - Tommy Voelker I'm looking at you!
    Good call! No matching shorts etc until you have definitely won the jersey (i.e. the last day) No polka dot shorts, bike, shoes, helmet etc at all. It's just wrong. They should supply them with a pair of black shorts when they get the polka dot jersey :wink:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    dish_dash wrote:

Word.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Good call! No matching shorts etc until you have definitely won the jersey (i.e. the last day) No polka dot shorts, bike, shoes, helmet etc at all. It's just wrong. They should supply them with a pair of black shorts when they get the polka dot jersey :wink:

Remember the days when the likes of Cippo got fined for doing that!
  • Paul 8v
    Yeah but cippo was cool, thank god he never got the polka dot jersey though!
  • He would have milked that more than Bernhard Kohl did... with his polka do rimmed Rudy Projects.

_45104830_kohl226getty.jpg

6a00d83451b18a69e20105358d698a970c-320wi
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Echelons

*scarpers*
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • philwint wrote:
    Punch ups :D

Nah, passion and idiocy are pretty much the DNA of GTs. Rare to see them so neatly combined though (and with top bike hndling skills to carry on like that).
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Winners!

If we did away with those, the doping problem would go away.

Drafting.

Have all the racers start the relevant time behind the leader from the day before and chase him with drafting being illegal. Enforce a strict time cut-off. Guys at the front racing hard to win without the team tactic nonsense and lots of excitement at the back to beat a demanding cut-off.
  • Having to play the theme tune to Rocky just so you know what went on today

Edit: having seen said incident it's more like something out of a carry on film
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Tommy Voekler
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves