Vuelta 2014 Stage 14 *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    But to put it in perspective, we would need 10 more stages like that for Froome to make that time back on Contador at the rate he pulled that one back... Let's not get carried away.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    jamie1012 wrote:
    Kirby's simpering over Hesjedal is embarrassing.

Trying to recover from his Clinic references. Unforgivable of Eurosport to favour him over the wealth of other talent who know the sport.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    When Froome went out the back at the start if the steep section I thought his race was over but that was a rare sight if him using his head and pacing himself. Could stage that and a sensible climb by Vuelta standards apart from the ropey surface!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    mroli wrote:
    But to put it in perspective, we would need 10 more stages like that for Froome to make that time back on Contador at the rate he pulled that one back... Let's not get carried away.

That was on a 3km long climb. Much longer ones in the next couple of days. I'd say it's all very much up for grabs still, which as a viewer is great :)
  • Macaloon
    edited September 2014
    Pross wrote:
    When Froome went out the back at the start if the steep section I thought his race was over but that was a rare sight if him using his head and pacing himself. Could stage that and a sensible climb by Vuelta standards apart from the ropey surface!

He did exactly the same a couple of days ago. Not afraid to look dumb falling off the back while his team were dulling the legs of rivals, to the bafflement of commentators and competition: Contador - "you can't trust him".

He's a Nibalista - coupling logic & heart. Impressive.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    What a conclusion to the day ! Glad Ryder got the win as from what I could see Zaugg did very little for the 50km prior to the climb. Utter show of guts and determination to get back and claim the win.

So good to see two races on a stage; one for the win and another for the GC. A rare treat these days. Thumbs up for many of the breakaway who had the belief but especially for Louis Meintjes who really must have been in unknown territory.

Really shocked by Valverde not getting back on as I thought this sort of terrain would have been right up his street. Aru and J-Rod stuck it out too to confirm their podium credentials.
    Macaloon wrote:
    Froome's tactics are exactly what an ace TTer would do if he wasn't scared of looking daft. Superb.

Spot on. Froome said today that the climb needed to be treated as a TT. Did the others go too hard maybe on the steepest section ?

I still think it's Contador's to lose but I think it could now be a fight between Valverde & Froome for second. Uran a big loser. And of course, anyone can still have an off day.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Well, well.

It may have only been 5km of action. But it was a great 5km.

Delighted to see Hesjedal win. Not usually a particular fan but he answered all the idiots emphatically there. He should walk into the press conference carrying his bike, say to everyone 'check it yourself' and walk out.

And reports of Froome's demise were greatly exaggerated it seems. That was, for me, the most assured and mature performance of his career to date. He read the stage perfectly and didn't let anything distract him from his plan to ride the finale as a TT.

Two good days to come.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Head and legs from Froome today, now the race is starting to get really interesting. Valverde flattering to deceive by going early while Purito looked more comfortable than Contador; still no one looks dominant so a great couple of days in prospect.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    mroli wrote:

Those steep climbs should suit valv and contador better than froome who is a heavier rider. He could take a lot more time on a more gentle gradient in the next two stages.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Tinkoff sending 2 riders up the road signaled another white flag day from the peloton.
    That was a freak show final climb; simply daft.
    Set up for the Spaniards, a resurgent and smarter Froome out paces them all.

Will Aru have a bad day in a GT, this season, I wonder?
    As with the Giro, the longer this Vuelta goes on, the better he looks.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Just finished watching the last 10km from the Tivo recording ... Great entertainment.

Not a particular fan of Froome but that was some ride (that's two now) and he seems like the rider coming into form as the days roll on.

It's only going to get better.

(Still would've been better if Horner could've been there and still within a couple of minutes of the GC guys).
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • I have a feeling Berto is going to smash them to bits tomorrow. Lull them into a false sense of security, let the sky train pull away from the station as usual and when they run out of carriages boom, fly the coop.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I think it will be the opposite.

Bert had nothing up there today on a climb that was built for his ilk. I hope it's finally him showing his lack of training as we get deep into the hard stuff. He had no right being up there at all given his injuries so at least this is starting to correlate with reality.

If Froome goes on to take this one it could be a more impressive ride than the TDF where he was just too strong for it to even be entertaining.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • I agree if Froome were to take this it would be much more impressive. Either way today's stage has set up a bit of intrigue!
  • Macaloon
    I have a feeling Berto is going to smash them to bits tomorrow. Lull them into a false sense of security, let the sky train pull away from the station as usual and when they run out of carriages boom, fly the coop.

I think Contador's in trouble, and he knows it. That looked like a modern, best form of defence, attack today. He could have just followed and saved the legs. Pretty big blow-up considering there was no need for it.

On Aru, aside from natural talent he might have learned quite a bit about preparing for GTs from Nibali.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Great result for Froome on a stage that shouldn't suit him. Could be interesting tomorrow. I can't see Valverde on the final podium but anything could happen.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    An "entertaining" stage - both in itself and in opening up the rest of the race. Good stuff.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Tomorrow may well not suit Valverde, quite a long old climb.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Just watched the highlights and really enjoyed that, and it certainly looks like it's not settled for a few days yet.

I'm hoping the comments suggesting too steep were jokes, but I can't tell.

Is it just me, but is froome becoming more likeable in his interviews?
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Interesting today.

Contador still has a decent time gap to play with but must have doubts about what he has to do to put Froome away. I can see Contador being a bit more cautious tomorrow. He knows he can take Valverde.

A great controlled ride by Froome. Almost rope-a-dope tactics letting his rivals attack each other before finishing strong.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    The finale was great. Super action with Ryder especially.

Though, those of you saying it was a good, entertaining stage - did you watch the 198km prior?

I doubt they make the same 'mistake' again of airing the race when there's more than 30km to go...

I want my technical descent to the finish line!
  • Thought it was a decent enough stage - bit of action in the break and a great finale.

Thought Valverde paid for going too early and maybe Contador a bit for covering that attack and then going himself. Froome has looked stronger than both at times this race and today was another but there isn't a lot in it and I don't see him cracking Contador. Disagree that super steep climbs suit Froome less, yes maybe he does weigh more put his body fat is super low and he seems to OK on climbs like that so while he may take a bit back on Contador I reckon second is his limit.

Valverde is another matter, he's older and has cracked more often in the past, with 3 hard days back to back I could see him slipping back in the GC.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    Disagree that super steep climbs suit Froome less, yes maybe he does weigh more put his body fat is super low and he seems to OK on climbs like that so while he may take a bit back on Contador I reckon second is his limit.
    It's not really the steepness itself that doesn't suit him, but more his ability to accelerate on it. He prefers to climb seated while honking is more natural to the three Spaniards. Those three have all been in the top two at Flèche Wallonne while Froome has never featured.
  • RichN95.
    Just caught up with the highlights show. Can someone please tell Hesjedal that this race isn't called the Walter.