Vuelta 2014 Stage 14 *Spoilers*

milton50
milton50 Posts: 3,856
edited September 2014 in Pro race
Vuelta-a-Espana-Stage-14-1408958230.png

Vuelta-a-Espana-Stage-14-1408359458.png

If Contador's knee is still giving him soreness then I don't think 20%-30% gradients will do him much good. The next two days look more like his kind of climbs.

Comments

• Interesting climb... probably too short to put big time.. interesting to see Valverde on this, is going 100% since spring and in fairness he still looks the freshest of the lot
    left the forum March 2023
  • Got to add that it's the first of 3 hard climbing days so perhaps a few might wait till Mondays stage, but hope there are some fireworks on everyday just to shake things up a bit
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Got to add that it's the first of 3 hard climbing days so perhaps a few might wait till Mondays stage, but hope there are some fireworks on everyday just to shake things up a bit

There will be, but limited to the last 2 Km, so that's around 7 minutes of fireworks
    left the forum March 2023
  • milton50
    Interesting climb... probably too short to put big time.. interesting to see Valverde on this, is going 100% since spring and in fairness he still looks the freshest of the lot

Yeh, it is interesting that he was clearly burning out towards the end of the Tour after a long spring for him and yet he's been right up there on every stage so far. I suppose it will be this last week where tiredness will start to show through though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Got to add that it's the first of 3 hard climbing days so perhaps a few might wait till Mondays stage, but hope there are some fireworks on everyday just to shake things up a bit

There will be, but limited to the last 2 Km, so that's around 7 minutes of fireworks
    And even then riders are unlikely to go full gas as they have two more MTF's in the next two days. It'll be about not losing time rather than gaining it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Still some good riders that are down on GC time but could go for a stage win, well I hope so
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Interesting climb... probably too short to put big time.. interesting to see Valverde on this, is going 100% since spring and in fairness he still looks the freshest of the lot

My rider of the year so far. Great Spring, 4th in the Tour and now backing it up in the Vuelta. Great racing brain.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    These kind of climbs have no place in a grand tour.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Bw1qvQNCIAAeJ-r.jpg:large

iker gallastegi ‏@ikguallas · 3h
    @mrconde pic taken from the finish line at "La Camperona". We have just climbed it, and it's not for the pro cycling pic.twitter.com/BMlEP82pLA
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Interesting climb... probably too short to put big time.. interesting to see Valverde on this, is going 100% since spring and in fairness he still looks the freshest of the lot

My rider of the year so far. Great Spring, 4th in the Tour and now backing it up in the Vuelta. Great racing brain.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Live on Eurosport now.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    iainf72 wrote:
    These kind of climbs have no place in a grand tour.

What's the maximum permissible gradient in a grand tour?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    OPQS getting frisky and lining peloton out. Cntador looking a little isolated.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • Contador has put two riders in the break which has 7mins on the OPQS led peloton. Arroyo and Sanchez have about 1min on the rest of the break.

Evans dropped.

Looks like Sagan has retired from the race.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • OPQS impetus has smashed the breaks lead by nearly 3mins.

Froome saying the last 2km will be ridden like a TT and its not a place you will follow wheels.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Piti will be in trouble then
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    This break is going to stick
  • OPQS impetus has smashed the breaks lead by nearly 3mins.

Froome saying the last 2km will be ridden like a TT and its not a place you will follow wheels.

http://inrng.com/2014/05/giro-zoncolan- ... t-contest/
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Not even the peloton could give a f about winning the stage..
  • Are the peloton going to stop altogether and have a picnic, I wonder?
    zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • milton50
    The break are on to the final climb. I hope Meintjes takes it for MTN.

Looks like it will be a 500m sprint for the GC riders.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Sky preparing to drop Froome again?
  • milton50
    adr82 wrote:
    Sky preparing to drop Froome again?

Ha ha. I was just thinking that as well. Deja vu.

At least one team is prepared to put some pace into it though.
  • adr82
    Break coming up to the steep stuff shortly
  • milton50
    Mentjies goes as the gradient hits 15%. Everyone follows so far.
  • adr82
    Ryder puts in a dig, splitting things up a bit

Counter from Zaugg, has a gap
  • milton50
    Hejsedal puts in an attack. Zaugg goes over the top.
  • adr82
    edited September 2014
    Valverde attack further down the hill.

Followed by Contador and Rodriguez, no Froome that I can see
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Valveawesome!
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • milton50
    Valverde attacks. Finally some action. J Rod and Contador follow.