BC and the Worlds

Comments

• The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    The poor, oppressed menz :(.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Macaloon wrote:
    I hope not. But it should be pretty difficult to insult (however unintentionally) males since none of the words are really labels.
    Nah, it's pretty easy. You just have to get them to be insulted on somebody else's behalf.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    And who would be doing that?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • sjmclean wrote:
    The main difference to me it seems is BC will accept they won't win something, so won't waste money or resources on it, but most other cycling nations will just blindly do it because it's what they have always done, and that's what FF wants blind acceptance of things because that's what true champion, real cycling fan pros do.

BC have now guaranteed that we don't have any podium contenders.

Van Dyke may go off course again, Villumsen may puncture – its a race – you can't guarantee the results so its always worth a punt, and its not like we'd take lantern rouge...unless of course BC know about match fixing that I don't.

How is this inspiring a new generation of women racers?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Goodbye to the Ladies Championship at Wimbledon and no more Ladies days at the races then.
    Ho hum.
    My missus will no longer pop to the Ladies, but will have to spend a penny in the Women's. I dare say she will soon get used to it.
    Me? I will carry on using the Gents.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Some people would appear to be too easily offended either on their own part, or on someone else's behalf.

If you think that this is directed at you, I imagine that you will be offended.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    [very off topic, delete if necessary]

I call my two daughters aged 2 and 3 and a half 'ladies'. It's tongue in cheek :D

To automatically assume the reference 'lady' or 'ladies' especially if you are not familiar with the individual(s) is a complementary assumption. Call me old fashioned, but why can't men aspire to be gentlemen and women aspire to be ladies?
    The world has gone ti...sorry, base over apex. If I hold a door open for a woman she now thinks:

A. This guy is flirting (trying to) with me or
    B. He is a 'sook' (Suck, Scottish vernacular and self explanatory) or
    C. He thinks i'm not capable of opening a door.

I was brought up to show respect, regardless of gender but now that's not even PC. Stop the world, I want to get off.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    edited September 2014
    One is both illuminated and baffled at the same time that this conversation is taking place...

You may continue to address me as curmudgeonly old git... All three words are factually correct and appropriate
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Mikey23 wrote:
    One is both illuminated and baffled at the same time that this conversation is taking place...

Did you remember to take your meds today Mikey?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Mikey23
    I am spluttering in my horlicks...
  • ballysmate
    Made by your Good Lady, Mikey?
  • Mikey23
    Nope, shes too busy planning her next protest... Not quite ready to throw herself under the queens horse so she is going to start with a gerbil and work up...
  • ballysmate
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Nope, shes too busy planning her next protest... Not quite ready to throw herself under the queens horse so she is going to start with a gerbil and work up...

:shock: :lol:
  • ballysmate
    Any burning of undergarments, Mikey?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    "pc gone mad" the calling card of the bigot.
  • Coriander wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:
    #Letfemalesride

Women, please.

They are not 'females', they are women.

(and they are not 'ladies' either, as that's hugely sexist and patronising)

Bizzare post.

What is so difficult for you to understand :?:

Do we talk about 'males racing' ?
    - no, we talk about 'men's racing'

And do we have races for 'gentlemen' ?
    - no, so why 'ladies' ?

I see your point of grammar yet fail to believe women would consider it sexist. In truth they prefer to be called a lady - it has connotations of class and is assumed to be used for those who are younger (compared to usage of 'woman'). Ladette however is not good.

I do consider it sexist and most certainly do not prefer to be called a lady. I also hate the word ladies being applied generally as a synonym for women. It's naff, condescending and patronising. It contains an element of judgement, whether or not the speaker intends that judgement to be positive or negative. The point is that women are constantly judged, they rarely can just be, and 'lady' continues that judgement. Man/men is a neutral word that contains no judgement other than narrowing down people by their sex. Woman/women is the same. Lady is not.

Basically, in my view, if you wouldn't use the word 'gentleman' in exactly the same context, do not use the word 'lady'.

Also, for me, calling a woman a lady ages her (and the speaker) rather than indicates she's younger. It's just naff, in every way possible.

All that and you've picked a user name thats a herb? Get back to cooking woman!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Does anyone know how the decision is made of what bike brands the national teams ride in the road race?

They can ride a trade-team sponsor's bike for the ITT but for the road race, with riders coming from several teams, how do they decide what bike brand they will ride and is there ever a problem with riders having personal relationships with a bike brand but having to ride another brand in the road race?

Cheers!
  • Anonymous
    curium wrote:
    Does anyone know how the decision is made of what bike brands the national teams ride in the road race?

They can ride a trade-team sponsor's bike for the ITT but for the road race, with riders coming from several teams, how do they decide what bike brand they will ride and is there ever a problem with riders having personal relationships with a bike brand but having to ride another brand in the road race?

Cheers!

They just ride their own bikes, some of the GB guys will have the team GB bikes they might use them, but each uses their own.
  • Anonymous
    curium wrote:

Cheers!

They just ride their own bikes, some of the GB guys will have the team GB bikes they might use them, but each uses their own.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

:shock: :lol:

The Armageddon is upon us!!!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Rather than wasting half an hour of my life can someone give me a summary?

Cheers Chaps
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • simonhead wrote:
    Rather than wasting half an hour of my life can someone give me a sum mary?

Cheers Chaps

what's 22x13.. and don't call me mary that's sexist..

i think that about sums it up?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pblakeney
    what's 22x13..
    A fairly pathetic gear ratio.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    what's 22x13..
    oops sorry thought i was on an mtb thread, lost my bearings i'll be off back to crawl under that stone that is BB now
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    what's 22x13..
    oops sorry thought i was on an mtb thread, lost my bearings i'll be off back to crawl under that stone that is BB now
    That'll be crossing your chain on a mtb then. Never a good idea.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Good read.

I'll keep calling it the cleaners race.
  • ballysmate
    simonhead wrote:
    Rather than wasting half an hour of my life can someone give me a sum mary?

Cheers Chaps

what's 22x13.. and don't call me mary that's sexist..

i think that about sums it up?

Being pedantic, that is a product and not a sum.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Ballysmate: Just won the internet

Strava is not Zen.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Pathetic few pages from posters I've not seen on Pro Race threads since I've been here. Do they only show up when it's time to insult women? W@nkers. Why has this thread not been locked, MR Chasey?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • I'm so glad you've said that, I was afraid to. What started out as a quite serious discussion about BC's decision making processes and the disparity between the treatment of male and female competitors (even more pertinent since Norway have done pretty much the same thing) descended into talking shit for post upon post without the moderator stepping in and sorting it out.

I've been quietly fuming here about this thread for a while now... :evil:
This discussion has been closed.