BC and the Worlds

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited September 2014 in Pro race
We all know they are a bunch of losers and far removed from the class and beauty of real World road racing.

For the Worlds Mr oddball Dave has been chosen to lead the British road team despite having stepped down 5months ago.

Additionally they have not selected anyone for the women's TT with their number crunching geeks giving this as a reason:
"We have chosen not to enter anyone into the elite women’s time trial event this year as we don’t believe we have a contender for a medal and we are obliged to use our resources where we have the best chance of success."

The Great Champion and non-BC conformist Pooley said about her first world championship, "I didn't have a medal chance. ... but experience helped later."

The BC monkey spokesperson replied, "We would agree that it can be good experience, but our priority is to win medals and so we need to focus our resource on that."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsf ... for-worlds

260-IMG_8568_edited-1_zps094e3ee7.jpg

Union%20Jack%20%20Arm%20Chair%20Sofa%20Flag%20British%20Stool%20UK%20English%20England%20United%20Kingdom%20upholstery%20linen%20cotton%20cloth%20sewn%20stitched%20natural%20wood.jpeg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Markets quiet today Frenchie?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    CavVert126349887WEB.jpg

NicoleCooke460.jpg

w10wtt_pooley_pod1.jpg

preview-millar.jpg
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Have to agree with Frenchie on this one.

Andy, the odd one out is Millar. The rest are all world champions. What do I win?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    It's in every GB programme athlete interest to become a world champion, because it increases your funding if you are.

I wouldn't lose sleep FF! It's going to be an exciting set of races.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    The lack of a Women's TT rider is weird. They've got two youngsters in Archibald and Barker who aren't doing the road race. What's the worst that can happen.

And will Fenn and Millar be eligible if there's a Yes vote? I think shouldn't be picked if there is.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    RichN95 wrote:
    The lack of a Women's TT rider is weird. They've got two youngsters in Archibald and Barker who aren't doing the road race. What's the worst that can happen.

Archibald is concentrating on the track, and...
    And will Fenn and Millar be eligible if there's a Yes vote? I think shouldn't be picked if there is.

... surely this would be the case for Archibald too ;)
  • RichN95.
    r0bh wrote:
    ... surely this would be the case for Archibald too ;)
    True. But she hasn't been picked anyway.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Is this some sort of psychological kick up the arse for the girls TT'ers?

Prove to us you are good enough and then you get to go?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,581
    It's a really strong men's under 23 squad. Can't understand Barker not being in the TT either, she's capable of a decent position IMHO.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Project Rainbow, to project meh, via project void. In fairness, it's really a priority call by UCI. If they'd made the Worlds RR an Olympic event, elite Dr Who writers would be weaving their trailer magic. Can't blame Dave for not getting wood for a chipper.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    Macaloon wrote:
    Project Rainbow, to project meh, via project void. In fairness, it's really a priority call by UCI. If they'd made the Worlds RR an Olympic event, elite Dr Who writers would be weaving their trailer magic. Can't blame Dave for not getting wood for a chipper.
    When I was a kid there was a gameshow called 3-2-1. It had impenetrable riddles just like this. This is either holiday to Benidorm or Dusty Bin.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    C'mon, this is Macaloon...

It's Dusty Bin (rhyming slang for 'Glaswegian').
  • Macaloon
    Seems crystal f@cking clear to me. We don't think we have a chance so we'll not bother with some events and hide in the others. We'll get away with it 'cos Rio.

Shorter Dave: "You can't lose if you don't try." A soulless attitude to life, and a contemptuous approach to sport.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    but it does seem worth pointing out that the national track championships are the same week/weekend, so most of the obvious candidates for the womens ITT arent available for selection, as Im assuming the Nats will go some way towards World cup selections, which in turn pick Worlds/Olympic squads, hence why Shane feels its so important to stay in Manchester and ask Sir Dave to manage part of it again...of course BC could have just used a calendar and picked a better date but hey...

and secondly for the past I dont know how many years going back to at least 2007 Id guess, the main ITT worlds pick for BC has always been Dr Emma Pooley, and theres never really been another consistent road based alternative. Emmas 1st worlds experience worked as she got to go back again and progress through to winning it, and being a consistent podium challenger, chuck someone with no experience in this year just for the sake of it, and then when theres no clash with the track programmes, yank them out again, maybe thats equally as unfair on them as not picking them to begin with, I dont know.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:

Scotland wouldn't become an independent nation until 2016 in the event of a yes vote.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • ocdupalais
    Macaloon wrote:
    Seems crystal f@cking clear to me. We don't think we have a chance so we'll not bother with some events and hide in the others. We'll get away with it 'cos Rio.

Shorter Dave: "You can't lose if you don't try." A soulless attitude to life, and a contemptuous approach to sport.

On the other mechanical appendage, throwing a few riders likely to finish tenth and below at a major championship "for experience" won't necessarily cut it with the bean-counters who'll require solid justification for a rider's inclusion in order to OK things at the expense of other riders in other disciplines: I should say at this point that I'm not even sure I believe that this sort of thing goes on (my suspicion is that blaming the accountants/economic climate, etc, is generally used as an excuse for what is essentially a political decision)… But love 'em or tolerate 'em, Sky/BC have gone a long way to producing a very successful brand and have become very protective of its image...
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Scotland wouldn't become an independent nation until 2016 in the event of a yes vote.
    Stop spoiling my fun with your facts.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The main difference to me it seems is BC will accept they won't win something, so won't waste money or resources on it, but most other cycling nations will just blindly do it because it's what they have always done, and that's what FF wants blind acceptance of things because that's what true champion, real cycling fan pros do.
  • I'm struggling to see how that can be spun positively for BC, sjm. This is what South Africa did for the Commonwealths for the Men's RR and were pilloried for it, and they're not even well funded...
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    We all know they are a bunch of losers and far removed from the class and beauty of real World road racing.

For the Worlds Mr oddball Dave has been chosen to lead the British road team despite having stepped down 5months ago.

Additionally they have not selected anyone for the women's TT with their number crunching geeks giving this as a reason:
    "We have chosen not to enter anyone into the elite women’s time trial event this year as we don’t believe we have a contender for a medal and we are obliged to use our resources where we have the best chance of success."

The Great Champion and non-BC conformist Pooley said about her first world championship, "I didn't have a medal chance. ... but experience helped later."

The BC monkey spokesperson replied, "We would agree that it can be good experience, but our priority is to win medals and so we need to focus our resource on that."

You have spouted some shite before but this post tóps the lot.

Yea that unsuccessful British Cycling outfit that haven't won jackshit in years.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well, like him or not, I think it is fair to say Dave Brailsford is a successful manager.

It's funny that the closest to management some people will get that pass comment on his decisions is when someone asks them "do you think you can manage to wash those dishes please?"
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Timoid. wrote:
    Have to agree with Frenchie on this one.

Andy, the odd one out is Millar. The rest are all world champions. What do I win?

If the OP still insists that Contador has won 7 GTs, then, by the same criteria, Millar was a World Champion.
  • It's been said before but if every nation only entered events where they had a medal chance these kind of events would die. I don't like it, for me it's not what sport should be about but maybe it's the logical conclusion of what it has become. The UCI should look at insisting countries enter a female for every male rider - if they don't have enough female riders well maybe they should look at why.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    It's been said before but if every nation only entered events where they had a medal chance these kind of events would die. I don't like it, for me it's not what sport should be about but maybe it's the logical conclusion of what it has become. The UCI should look at insisting countries enter a female for every male rider - if they don't have enough female riders well maybe they should look at why.

^^^^^this...Id prob tweak it slightly to say countries above a certain UCI ranking, to not unduly penalise smaller countries who might have no chance of matching across their entries.

but definately Id rather the outcome was to look at why we are in this situation, and you dont have to be Dave Brailsford to work it out I dont think, rather than simply complain loudly about it. Fwiw BC didnt pick anyone for the 2013 womens ITT either, even though Wiggle with Dani King and Jo Rowsell were in the team time trial events,and I cant recall if that decision made the kind of headlines this has.

maybe if it had,theyd have been able to focus on this year, and id'd someone likely to be available without track commitments earlier in the year and planned them through the ITT at the Nats & Commonwealth games.
  • Macaloon
    mfin wrote:
    Well, like him or not, I think it is fair to say Dave Brailsford is a successful manager.

It's funny that the closest to management some people will get that pass comment on his decisions is when someone asks them "do you think you can manage to wash those dishes please?"

Successful in the same way as the CEO of a boutique pharma company, promoted after monetizing the patent portfolio, say, who inherits a couple of blockbusters in a bull market, looks like a genius.

I don't think a guy who has created a road team with no room for the Yates bros can be considered a success.
  • Trying to reconcile the OP with the OP's comments on the weaker nations at the recent Commonwealth Games.
    Can't quite get there.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Trying to reconcile the OP with the OP's comments on the weaker nations at the recent Commonwealth Games.
    Can't quite get there.

Surely you've been on this forum long enough not to expect consistent arguments from the OP...
  • ocdupalais
    Macaloon wrote:

I don't think a guy who has created a road team with no room for the Yates bros can be considered a success.

Thereby making every team a failure except OGE?

It sounds like they turned Sky down - not the other way around.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

They did, because Sky only wanted one, not both.

Re. Women's TT, seems like the BC boys' club hasn't changed at all since Nicole retired.
  • Macaloon
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

I have a very long charge sheet but I won't bore you with the details. I was referring to Dave's interview this year where he talked about them being 'in a better place'.
    “They’re in the right team, they made the right decision,” Brailsford added. “They are getting their opportunities. Those opportunities are difficult to get in our team. If they were in our team they’d be working.”
    There's something wrong with your team of lions then, Dave. The management consultants, perhaps?
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/team-sky-eyes-yates-brothers-2016-126789
This discussion has been closed.